Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ankou Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It seems to be so substandard compared to Fiend. You get some extra spells, but so does fiend, which also has extra abilities. I don't know what they're planning to do, but GOO in TT has some overlap with the tadpole powers and therefore it's hard to imagine what they might come up with. But they should do something, otherwise it's pointless to even have.

old hand
old hand
Hopefully they'll fix it, even if they just change the 1st feature to be something like a free detect thoughts.

At this level, I find the goolock's spells to be superior to the fiendlock's. But you're right. After level 5, fiendlocks get fireball. At 6, they get Dark One's Own Luck. What to goolocks get? Entropic Ward. A lackluster ability that will be made worse by BG3's reaction system. I have no clue how or if larian will implement goolock's 3rd level spells. They didn't give the phantasmal force. As for their missing level 1 ability? I hope they come up with something. Goolocks are gonna get shafted in the final release.

apprentice
apprentice
They haven't implemented Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Blade yet, or the Archfey patron, so there may well be significant changes to the warlock in some future update (hopefully including the missing GOOlock ability in some form - if they think it's difficult to implement they could perhaps give an alternate ability on the basis that it was modified by the presence of the tadpole). And if the level cap is high enough, resistance to psychic damage is likely to be outrageously good in the endgame.

old hand
old hand
Honestly, I feel like Warlock might be one of the classes that'll take more work than some of the others. It has a lot of very it specific mechanics with Eldritch Invocations, Pact Boons, and Patrons (which replaces subclass). On the surface Warlock looks fairly normal but then you get to a lot of abilities being utility and RP focused like GOO Warlock having telepathy. Then EIs have a lot of interactions that completely change mechanics, which so far seems fine with the EB ones but when we get pact specific ones things might get off. Pact of the Tome gives you Ritual spells which then brings up the problem of ritual casting not being in the game. And then they'll have to make a whole new mechanic for pact of the blade where a warlock can summon any weapon and make any magic weapon their summonable weapon (which might really mess up the inventory system). So I think it's not just GOO warlock that'll need fixing.
(And I'll spare everyone here my summoner rant on how pact of the chain has been implemented all wrong)

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard