Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#770483 20/04/21 04:11 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The character portraits in BG3 are like passport photos rather than portraits. Direct frontal angle, no expression, exact same composition, very small size.

It feels like a portrait should portray much more. And be a bit larger perhaps. You should be able to tell who's who at a glance and get at least some hint of their personality.

The character models in BG3 are so high quality and detailed that artistic hand drawn portraits are probably completely off the table. Unless they figure out a way to turn the 3D face render into a painting style portrait somehow, which could be cool. Even so, perhaps some DA Origins style system where you could adjust the shot composition, expression and background would be better. So that you could breathe some personality into the portraits and they wouldn't look like a boring row of identical passport pics.

Could Larian innovate this aspect of an RPG even further? Dynamic portraits that would reflect their current mood or atmosphere? Lighting controls or themes with backgrounds?

Last edited by 1varangian; 20/04/21 04:12 PM.
addict
addict
I agree with you, I dont like same thing in DOS2. Larian need to style portraits of 3d models into something more interesting they can definitely change facial expression/angle, or draw classic 2d portraits. I would love to see anything instead of this poker face.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
veteran
veteran
I agree and suggested something like that a few monthes ago.

It could add personality to the game. You're 100% right it looks like random passport pics.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/04/21 04:56 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Anyting but animated ...
Personaly i like player portraits most in DA:Origins

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Plus, everyone is shirtless in their portrait picture.

Current portraits do look like the characters have been photographed on the mortuary slab.

Which might be an ominous foreshadowing.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Hmm, good point! I would love to see regular portraits, like those in most CRPGs - or if they'd offer something similar to DA:O.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
journeyman
journeyman
They're so small it doesn't really bother me, but it would be kind of cool if they could let you set a backdrop, angle, and pose for your character portrait to give it a bit more, well, character.

Link Copied to Clipboard