Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I dont like them.

These close up interaction cinematics between NPCS / PCS in my opinion are not fulfilling the objective that they are designed to do. They honestly look D grade at best.

For example the far zoomed out cartoonish cinematics in BG2 involving irenicus for example drew me into the game far more then BG3 is currently doing 20 years later. Take a look for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6LbhhoOSIw

So Larian i beg you to please explain why are you doing all the flash bells and whistles when the content is genuinely not good. You need to concentrate on an immersive well written story. Immersive is the key and you need to ignore all the politically correct crap that you seem to be supporting.

Last edited by teclis23; 25/04/21 11:21 AM.
E
addict
addict
E
I agree the cutscenes are far too plentiful and at times add nothing of any real merit. If anything they can often disrupt the natural flow of the game to add a totally unnecessary and often poorly directed scene.

Genuinely curious though, what ‘politically correct crap’ are you referring to?

addict
addict
As I mentioned since the beginning of EA, and still up to today...overload in cutscenes and USELESS cinematic dialogues everywhere for even minor stuff is what will destroy this game. It will age really badly.
You cant add more interesting dialogues down the road with mods. The acting and surrounding responses is cringy. You are LIMITED with role playing choices, lot less interesting responses compared to BG2 or similar games. EVERY DIALOGUES in the game HAS to fit this TELLTALE CINEMATICS environment, where you have mostly just short dice rolling answers to complicated problems which drastically limits interesting <book like> story telling.
Having very high quality cut-scenes JUST ONCE IN A WHILE for important events would of been way better. So Larian can concentrate on creating more stories, playable NPCs, party wide reactions to way more DIALOGUE OPTIONS etc....

The beginning was epic, and the githyanki look great, but all I have good to say about it.
1) you can't tell what species most of the things are. When you can't tell the difference between an elf, half elf, halfling, dwarf and gnome, because they all just look like humans with pointy ears and human voices, that ruins everything at the core.
2) it failed the beard test. Every time I see them come out with something that has a dwarf without a beard, it fails. Its like making an orc and saying it is an elf. There are certain things that define what something is, and a male dwarf without a beard is not a dwarf.
All this makes cut-scenes even sillier.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 25/04/21 03:15 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
For me it just make the experience better, for example I love story in Divinity Original Sin 2, but wish it was more cinematic, it makes the experience more real for me

veteran
veteran
"Conversations" with NPCs where the NPC says one line and you can't respond shouldn't be cinematics.

I like the cinematics in other dialogues where my party can respond, but ^ feels like too much and discourages me from talking to everyone.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 25/04/21 03:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kallark
For me it just make the experience better, for example I love story in Divinity Original Sin 2, but wish it was more cinematic, it makes the experience more real for me
Agree! I love the cinematic dialogue in BG3. It pulls me into the game.

addict
addict
I rly love cutscenes in BG3 and they are really done well. However, I do not know why Larian did cutscenes with NPCs with whom you do not have a full dialogue. It's great, just not really necessary.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
P
addict
addict
P
Personally, I much prefer the game with the cutscenes. I have played RPGs with no cutscene (such as XCOM2) and though it was still fun, I loved the mechanics etc, it just felt like it was missing something. If you have such an issue with cutscenes, you can always space through them.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I love the cutscenes. It was a BG3 cutscene popping up in my youtube feed that inspired me to try the game. They're gorgeous and immersive in my opinion. I agree though that having cutscenes for NPC with just a one-liner is a bit much.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
"Conversations" with NPCs where the NPC says one line and you can't respond shouldn't be cinematics.

I like the cinematics in other dialogues where my party can respond, but ^ feels like too much and discourages me from talking to everyone.

Originally Posted by Nyloth
I rly love cutscenes in BG3 and they are really done well. However, I do not know why Larian did cutscenes with NPCs with whom you do not have a full dialogue. It's great, just not really necessary.

Originally Posted by Sabra
I love the cutscenes. It was a BG3 cutscene popping up in my youtube feed that inspired me to try the game. They're gorgeous and immersive in my opinion. I agree though that having cutscenes for NPC with just a one-liner is a bit much.

+1, +1 and +1

I really hope we'll have french voices because it's not really immersive when you hear a language and read another one.
But I don't have much hope.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 25/04/21 06:40 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Well BG2 had a much darker more serious adult theme...BG3 so far is set within a serious plot, but plays like 'just have fun!' adventure....just different visions. BG2 used -some- companions and voice overs to lighten the mood and BG3 just throws random funny dialogue and events at at the player. Honestly besides the main story plot, I think every side quest is for some reason there to brighten up the game.

5e is a much more light hearted friendly game...so I guess they are just following suit.

Last edited by macadami; 25/04/21 08:47 PM.
On the topic of cutscenes, I like most of them. I enjoy seeing my characters face. However, I CANNOT STAND when I try to talk to a character, it pulls me into a cutscenes and all I get is dialogue basically telling me to fuck off. End cutscene.

Last edited by footface; 25/04/21 08:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes, personally I disliked them in Dargon Age: Origins for the very same reason.

A poorly directed cinematic, with awkward animations, and overall lack of competent use of cinematic language only highlights how fake what we are watching is, and makes things less relatable. If you are interupting my game with a movie make it a good one.

On top of that BG3 runs into an additional problem - cutting from top down view to a close up is jarring. And yes, it is especially jarring when we are pulled into cutscene only to be presented with a "bark".

Those are not going to go away, and I don't think they have to. But I wish Larian would go for "less is more" approach. Having minor conversations without switching into cinematic is fine. Making cinematics that are in the game good, is IMO more important that having every conversation be a cinematic.

Originally Posted by Pandemonica
I have played RPGs with no cutscene (such as XCOM2)
eek XCOM? RPG? I know people like to have an offensively wide interpretations of "RPG", but.. really?

addict
addict
I think the biggest problem is its artistic direction.

It is not just putting beautiful 3D models. The way it is now is very amateurish with characters close-ups with awkward hand mannerisms.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Wormerine
eek XCOM? RPG? I know people like to have an offensively wide interpretations of "RPG", but.. really?
Yeah I guess it is more of a tactical war game, but it has a story so it is an adventure game. Not really any role playing in it, but honestly I don't put much in the importance of "role playing" anymore. Mostly just enjoying the story, and the branching results of decisions. It still resembles a good number of RPG mechanics though, same principle. Basic attack, special attack (spells), turn based.

I know some would try to compare it as a shooter, but I could never call it that. To me a shooter is like Mass Effect, or Gears.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Etruscan
I agree the cutscenes are far too plentiful and at times add nothing of any real merit. If anything they can often disrupt the natural flow of the game to add a totally unnecessary and often poorly directed scene.

Genuinely curious though, what ‘politically correct crap’ are you referring to?

The "politically correct crap" i am referring to is this:

- BG2 had a darker adult theme and larian appear to be attempting to pander to all age groups eg children and teens aswell, this has resulted in watered down non confrontational woke content being written.

- The year is 2021 and political correctness is increasingly ruining entertainment movies and video games. Just look at hollywood to see how crap movies are these days for this very reason. Studios cant do anything anymore that is considered controversial.

- There is an over-representation of diversity and equality in BG3. If studios want to go down this path they have to do it so it is not in your face like it currently is with BG3 otherwise it takes the attention away from the game. For example the last star wars movies where woke disasters but game of thrones pulled the diversity and equality thing of really well. You never had woke garbage in your face in game of thrones like starwars did but they where just as diverse.

Last edited by vometia; 26/04/21 11:37 AM. Reason: formatting
What over representation of diversity and equality are you talking about? Can you provide examples from Baldurs Gate 3?

Last edited by footface; 26/04/21 05:24 AM.
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by footface
What over representation of diversity and equality are you talking about? Can you provide examples from Baldurs Gate 3?

For example choosing you sexual orientation at character creation and an enormous amount of cut scenes representing gay and lesbian content. When only 1 in 20 people are gay or lesbian is this really needed?

Also there is the huge push for gender diversity in this game aswel. I think that D&D is mainly considered a males game with over 80% of the player base being male. I dont have a problem with female npcs and PCs and feminsitic qualities but you need to remember this is a male dominated area of interest. I mean the equivalent would be adding an over-representation of male actors in a female romance movie or chick flick.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
DnD is not a "male's game". I'm a woman that plays DnD in a group with more women than men. I've known plenty of women that play DnD. It would be ill-advised for WoTC and Larian to alienate roughly half the world's population from their product. Women play video games and table top games too. Saying that it is a "male's game" and that the game should be changed to suit some kind of male fantasy is dangerous. Actual statistics of men vs women who play video games do not support this dangerous assumption. Rather, the proportion of video gamers of either gender is growing closer to 50/50 over time. While this varies by franchise (I think this reddit post is interesting), it's in the best interest of companies to include the significant proportion of the population (women) that may consume their product. See these two articles:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gaming-no-longer-a-mans-world-1408464249
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Survey_data

In the game, you don't choose your sexual orientation. You design a character to serve a narrative element in the story. Everything about the character is up to you and your roleplay. I don't know what gay and lesbian content you're talking about, unless it's advances from the companions. You don't have to engage in such content.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Sabra
DnD is not a "male's game". I'm a woman that plays DnD in a group with more women than men. I've known plenty of women that play DnD. It would be ill-advised for WoTC and Larian to alienate roughly half the world's population from their product. Women play video games and table top games too. Saying that it is a "male's game" and that the game should be changed to suit some kind of male fantasy is dangeous. Actual statistics of men vs women who play video games do not support this dangerous assumption. Rather, the proportion of video gamers of either gender is growing closer to 50/50 over time. While this varies by franchise (I think this reddit post is interesting), it's in the best interest of companies to include the significant proportion of the population (women) that consume their product. See these two articles:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gaming-no-longer-a-mans-world-1408464249
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games#Survey_data

In the game, you don't choose your sexual orientation. You design a character to serve a narrative element in the story. Everything about the character is up to you and your roleplay. I don't know what gay and lesbian content you're talking about, unless it's advances from the companions. You don't have to engage in such content.

Everything you said just then is completely not true.

A. Are you telling me that D&D has a greater male to female ratio 80%? With Men being more then less then 80%? Im sorry but that is just not true if you are saying this

B. You do choose you sexual orientation at game creation go have a look. They do it not so bluntly and the decision you make when you do this will effect romances dialogues. This is plain as day. I dont understand how you are saying this is not the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard