Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
In the SE of the shattered sanctum there is a room with three or four baddies inside. In this room there are also several gunpowder barrels. You can fire off a flame arrow and watch the entire room go up, killing everyone inside. This is a great idea allowing the player alternative ways to win a combat situation without actually taking damage in the process. Now there are two issues with this, the first being that in this particular location the entire floor goes up in a big explosion causing massive damage to the player and entirely undermining the logic behind using the environment to wipe out the room in the first place. Now there is a barrel outside but I destroyed that with a normal arrow, then used Create Water to wash that powder away, being very careful to ensure there isn't any there. Despite that, as I said, the explosion still happens. A bug, surely?

The other issue is that when you do this you cannot move your character, controls are basically frozen until after the explosion goes off thereby ensuring you take huge damage, again undermining the logic of using the tactic. This seems to be a design feature and one that needs to go. You need to be able to scarper quick, not have your control locked out for some contrived way of inflicting damage, otherwise there is absolutely no incentive to use this tactic.

veteran
veteran
Do you want to be spoiled on how to use this area?

There are two ways Larian wants players to interact with this area:

1. a "follow the combat script" way

2. a "Larian want you to exploit cheese" way

(i'm not of either way myself -- smokepower is supposed to exceedingly rare in the forgotten realms)

You know you wont get blasted if you hit those casks from the rafters above the adjoining room FYI. But for me at least I want the powder intact to use for later, so I snipe the ones inside or go in and steal it all earlier when the room is empty and NPC's are outside guarding the room from front and I drop down in from behind the door through crack in wall without them seeing it. So yeah, I don't think the "Leroy Jenkins" path is the right one for this encounter.

OP Offline
Doesn't matter does it? The points I'm making are there's nothing to ignite yet it ignites, and when you do it you can't move your character. Don't lock me out of controls, please, it's not good game design.

veteran
veteran
Spoilers

This is a DOS2 fight.

You either want to get up in the rafters and blow the smokepowder up from a safe distance or you want to make a surface that benefits you. There are water barrels in the adjoining room that you can position to protect yourself from the firewine surface the explosion creates.

The cheese way to do it is sneak into the room, get all the barrels and put them around bosses and then blow them up from a safe distance.

Link Copied to Clipboard