Next Thread
Print Thread
#772541 09/05/21 05:12 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Hey i just wanted to know if Larian has a Toolset planed for BG3 like the one we had in Neverwinter nights 2 that allowed us to make our own custom campaigns.

Glyder01 #772542 09/05/21 05:16 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Probably, but not until the full release happens. Some games modding is possible without it; there'll be more in the modding forums once I'm allowed to open them...

J'aime le fromage.
Glyder01 #772556 09/05/21 10:23 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
If it does get introduced, it being a little more user-friendly definitely wouldn't hurt, I think. While the D:OS versions were certainly powerful once figured out, they are nowhere near as approachable as, say, the NWN 1 and 2 toolsets were, and NWN 1 module-making community is still somewhat alive and well to this day, providing a practically limitless wealth of adventures to play around with the system in. Then again, since it's still the Divinity Engine, it might remain mostly the same, but one can hope.

Glyder01 #772570 09/05/21 12:36 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I haven't used the NWN toolsets so I can't comment about them directly, but IME the Divinity toolset (which has an undeniably steep learning curve) sat somewhere between the TES Construction Set, which was probably the most accessible and easy-to-use overall (though it had its own problems such as being very crashy and creating very dirty plugins) and the Dragon Age Oranges Toolset which was just horrible even when you did figure out how to use it. And still crashed a lot. :|

I must admit to being a little bit surprised at the apparent lack of mods for the Original Sins though; I'm wondering why it didn't take off more than it did as modders tend to put up with all sorts of evils and there were some very good third party tools available. I hope that BG3 proves more popular with the modding scene.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #772573 09/05/21 01:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia
I haven't used the NWN toolsets so I can't comment about them directly, but IME the Divinity toolset (which has an undeniably steep learning curve) sat somewhere between the TES Construction Set, which was probably the most accessible and easy-to-use overall (though it had its own problems such as being very crashy and creating very dirty plugins) and the Dragon Age Oranges Toolset which was just horrible even when you did figure out how to use it. And still crashed a lot. :|

I must admit to being a little bit surprised at the apparent lack of mods for the Original Sins though; I'm wondering why it didn't take off more than it did as modders tend to put up with all sorts of evils and there were some very good third party tools available. I hope that BG3 proves more popular with the modding scene.

You talking DOS 1 or 2?

fallenj #772574 09/05/21 01:42 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by fallenj
You talking DOS 1 or 2?

Both, really, though I may have been looking in the wrong place. I do that a lot.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #772619 10/05/21 06:43 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj
You talking DOS 1 or 2?

Both, really, though I may have been looking in the wrong place. I do that a lot.

DOS came off as a mess since they have a tool set for classic and updated versions of both games, so you have mods for each toolset. But they brought out vids for making mods to support the tool. Unlike DOS2 where it was flag shipped as some kind of Roleplay tool. *Edit-I'll take that back, pretty sure you can transfer mods from original to updated version for toolset. But i'll throw in that I don't think DOS1 got as popular as 2 did.

I played around with the classic but when they introduced DOS2's I didn't even bat a eye at it since I don't do roleplay/online pnp. Kind of wonder if the way they introduced it turned people off like it did to me.

Edit2* Everyone has there good and bad days, it happens.

Last edited by fallenj; 10/05/21 06:48 AM.
Glyder01 #772620 10/05/21 06:51 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think there was definitely a push to sell it to the online players; AFAIK it was supposed to be "as well as" rather than "instead of" people who prefer the single-player do-your-own-thing type of gaming though I can understand why it may not have come across like that given certain other publishers' relentless attempts to drive people into online gaming.

From my perspective I just like messing about with models and textures for the most part so I never really looked into its capabilities and aims beyond that; much the same as when I managed to mod Ego Draconis, "modding" was strictly limited to changing some meshes and stuff. The last time I did anything more ambitious was probably Oblivion or FO3 or something like that.

J'aime le fromage.
Glyder01 #772621 10/05/21 07:11 AM
old hand
old hand
Interesting, fo3 and oblivion both seemed pretty open for modding since there maps were already big with a lot of dead space to play with, unlike some current game maps being crunched together.

I did read that both of those games were harder to mod compared to say skyrim, since the community tools make it easier or something like that. It's been a real long time since I digged through info on modding so I could be a bit off.

Glyder01 #772627 10/05/21 08:57 AM
veteran
veteran
I definitely hope not only we get it, but also that it's more user-friendly. and not as limited.

vometia #772629 10/05/21 10:19 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast

NWN toolsets (1 especially, 2 less so) are pretty much the gold standard in accessibility, in my opinion. It had wizards for every tidbit, from NPCs to items to areas, and a very ergonomic and convenient UI, which made creating something simple - like a location populated by a few enemies, or an NPC with a functioning conversation - a matter of a few minutes. Of course, for something more complex one had to learn how to write scripts, but the most widely used ones - "give item/XP/gold", "change variable value", "update journal entry" - could also just be made with a wizard which only took a few simple inputs. About the one and only downside of it, apart from the limitations of the engine itself, was lack of transparent debugging feedback in the coding tool which made scripting a pain on occassion, especially for the newcomers into C++.

A testament to the powers of NWN2's toolset, which is a lot clunkier in comparison but also more powerful, would be the Baldur's Gate: Reloaded module, which is, well, a total remake of BG1 on a new engine and in 3.5 rules. They're working on BG2's remake at the moment and it's due to release sometime this year.

Last edited by Brainer; 10/05/21 10:19 AM.
Glyder01 #773317 16/05/21 05:21 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Well its good to hear that, i will await a toolset with great anticipation!!

About DoS modding , I agree its weird they don't have much mods , BG3 has way more armor / clothing mods then DoS 2.

Personally i would just love to be able to create my own campaigns that i can play with friends or others campaigns offline.

vometia #773321 16/05/21 05:52 AM
veteran
veteran

My theory is that the second Larian announced that they had a License for BG3 from Wizards of the Coast...all attention switched over to that. Because we had all been talking about Mods and creating adventures for and there was excitement, and it certainly sold well enough. Then Baldur's Gate announce came and it was like "Divinity who?"

Blackheifer
Blackheifer #773663 19/05/21 03:47 PM
apprentice
apprentice
BG3 is sat on a re-written Divinity 2 engine. (I guess call it Divinity 2.5 engine)
So hopefully there will be a similar toolset as DoS2. The DoS2 tools set was quite a high learning curve but very flexible.

They must be using an inhouse toolset to create levels / content etc. Its just what bits of the engine you want to expose to the community.

Glyder01 #773668 19/05/21 04:28 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Divinity 2 used Gamebryo and had a lot in common with Oblivion (and in fact I did a fairly straight copy of some of my Oblivion models to D2... well, ish). The current engine I think (but may well be mistaken) started out with Dragon Commander, got a major rewrite for Original Sin, then another one for Original Sin II, and apparently an even bigger one for BG3. Though there're enough similarities to facilitate modding, so e.g. Norbyte quickly adapted his toolset.

I guess what Larian releases will largely be down to the licensing agreements with the various third-party bits of which there'll be an assortment, though I'm not privy to the details. But I guess that's the same deal with pretty much any studio that encourages modding...

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard