Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#773283 16/05/21 12:06 AM
Joined: May 2021
R
Reckem Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: May 2021
So several days ago I mentioned while giving feedback that I think Larian is trying to pull a fast one and I made the prediction that Astarian is really..... wait for it..... waaaait for it..... Cazador.

1. Astarian is constantly seeking to control the parasite, to learn how to use the new power that the parasite is giving the group. Power and control are what True Vampires live and feed off of, other than blood. To dominate one's mind, actions, and existence is what they get off on. Vampire Spawn simply do not have that mindset as they are nothing but puppets as Astarian points out many times.

2. Wait a minute. If Astarian was a True Vampire then he wouldn't be soo weak in the game you say??? And you would be correct to say and think this. However, there is one line in all of the dialogue with Astarian that just keeps sounding off in my head when I think about this possible MAJOR rope-a-dope by Larian. It was brief and well hidden but there is a moment when Astarian says "Somebody has changed the rules". Yes I know he said it while explaining why all the downsides of a Vampire seemed to not apply to him but I feel that how he said it was a HUGE hidden clue as to what we may see in the future.

3. Now this part is just me theorizing as I have only ever encountered the Monster Hunter once and Astarian was a corpse in my camp from when Halsin jumped me for wiping out the Druid Grove on my evil playthrough. Why would a monster hunter have interest in small time prey like a spawn.... a puppet... no, I think he knew more about his Mark and he was after the big man... Cazador and he had put the pieces together himself. It kind of reminded me of a Van Helsing vs Dracula type of feel.

All my other playthroughs that I have going or have done from the very beginning of my time playing EA have likely caused me to miss a bit of dialogue so now my current playthrough I am actually doing some save scumming just to see what kind of interactions I have missed to see if I can find any more information that may help prove/disprove my theory.

Reckem #773286 16/05/21 12:25 AM
Joined: Nov 2020
Banned
Offline
Banned
Joined: Nov 2020
There's information that's been datamined about Cazador, including how he looks. And he does not look like Astarion.

Joined: May 2021
R
Reckem Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: May 2021
Originally Posted by Passerby
There's information that's been datamined about Cazador, including how he looks. And he does not look like Astarion.

But knowing the player base will Datamine and try to gain every ounce of pre-information they can, maybe Larian has put in place a bunch of bogus information to keep the big surpises exactly that.... big suprises. Not saying you are wrong...

Reckem #773289 16/05/21 12:44 AM
Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
Hmmm, I don't think they are one and the same... but because Astarion is my favourite character, I can't resist the lure of a good theorycrafting/character analysis thread. laugh

Originally Posted by Reckem
So several days ago I mentioned while giving feedback that I think Larian is trying to pull a fast one and I made the prediction that Astarian is really..... wait for it..... waaaait for it..... Cazador.

1. Astarian is constantly seeking to control the parasite, to learn how to use the new power that the parasite is giving the group. Power and control are what True Vampires live and feed off of, other than blood. To dominate one's mind, actions, and existence is what they get off on. Vampire Spawn simply do not have that mindset as they are nothing but puppets as Astarian points out many times.

He wants to control the parasite because power and control, to him, mean survival. Let's assume that he is who he appears to be, a vampire spawn who was a slave, and now finds himself free. It makes complete sense to me that he would clutch at any bit of power that he can, to survive and stay away from his abuser. He has also likely taken on parts of Cazador's controlling personality as a mask to wear, because - let's face it - if he's only known someone else's power and control for 200 years, then to him, that is how the world works.

Also, have you heard his response to a certain dialogue choice you can make when you talk to him after your tadpole dream, when he first tells you about having been a slave, and you tease "I didn't know you had a master in the bedroom" or something to that effect? Holy crap. Normally he enjoys cheeky responses from your character, but his response to this in particular was so angry, so hurt, so well-acted that I had to re-load my previous save and NOT choose that option again! He may be secretive/evasive about some things, but his responses about having been a slave and having been abused are very telling, especially in this scene. I certainly think his story is exactly what it appears to be.


Originally Posted by Reckem
2. Wait a minute. If Astarian was a True Vampire then he wouldn't be soo weak in the game you say??? And you would be correct to say and think this. However, there is one line in all of the dialogue with Astarian that just keeps sounding off in my head when I think about this possible MAJOR rope-a-dope by Larian. It was brief and well hidden but there is a moment when Astarian says "Somebody has changed the rules". Yes I know he said it while explaining why all the downsides of a Vampire seemed to not apply to him but I feel that how he said it was a HUGE hidden clue as to what we may see in the future.

I took that line to mean The Absolute or whoever is responsible for the tadpoles, has changed the rules. He hasn't changed the rules himself.
I don't know what the rules for vampires are in DnD, I'm coming from more or a literary/mythology background here, but he does explain clearly that he's surprised he can enter homes uninvited, walk in the sun, but still can't cross running water. Those are all age-old vampire lore things.

Also, IF he was a true vampire, biting your character would mean he has turned you into a vampire spawn - which has not happened. He doesn't have that power.


Originally Posted by Reckem
3. Now this part is just me theorizing as I have only ever encountered the Monster Hunter once and Astarian was a corpse in my camp from when Halsin jumped me for wiping out the Druid Grove on my evil playthrough. Why would a monster hunter have interest in small time prey like a spawn.... a puppet... no, I think he knew more about his Mark and he was after the big man... Cazador and he had put the pieces together himself. It kind of reminded me of a Van Helsing vs Dracula type of feel

The Gur monster hunter was tasked with bringing Astarion back alive because of the demonic inscription on his back. It appears to be part of a puzzle to be solved later on in the story.

Joined: May 2021
R
Reckem Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: May 2021
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Hmmm, I don't think they are one and the same... but because Astarion is my favourite character, I can't resist the lure of a good theorycrafting/character analysis thread. laugh

Originally Posted by Reckem
So several days ago I mentioned while giving feedback that I think Larian is trying to pull a fast one and I made the prediction that Astarian is really..... wait for it..... waaaait for it..... Cazador.

1. Astarian is constantly seeking to control the parasite, to learn how to use the new power that the parasite is giving the group. Power and control are what True Vampires live and feed off of, other than blood. To dominate one's mind, actions, and existence is what they get off on. Vampire Spawn simply do not have that mindset as they are nothing but puppets as Astarian points out many times.

He wants to control the parasite because power and control, to him, mean survival. Let's assume that he is who he appears to be, a vampire spawn who was a slave, and now finds himself free. It makes complete sense to me that he would clutch at any bit of power that he can, to survive and stay away from his abuser. He has also likely taken on parts of Cazador's controlling personality as a mask to wear, because - let's face it - if he's only known someone else's power and control for 200 years, then to him, that is how the world works.

Also, have you heard his response to a certain dialogue choice you can make when you talk to him after your tadpole dream, when he first tells you about having been a slave, and you tease "I didn't know you had a master in the bedroom" or something to that effect? Holy crap. Normally he enjoys cheeky responses from your character, but his response to this in particular was so angry, so hurt, so well-acted that I had to re-load my previous save and NOT choose that option again! He may be secretive/evasive about some things, but his responses about having been a slave and having been abused are very telling, especially in this scene. I certainly think his story is exactly what it appears to be.

So let's take this a step further. Assuming Astarian is Cazador, what if he is referring to being a slave to the hunger, the rules of the Vampirism?


Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Originally Posted by Reckem
2. Wait a minute. If Astarian was a True Vampire then he wouldn't be soo weak in the game you say??? And you would be correct to say and think this. However, there is one line in all of the dialogue with Astarian that just keeps sounding off in my head when I think about this possible MAJOR rope-a-dope by Larian. It was brief and well hidden but there is a moment when Astarian says "Somebody has changed the rules". Yes I know he said it while explaining why all the downsides of a Vampire seemed to not apply to him but I feel that how he said it was a HUGE hidden clue as to what we may see in the future.

I took that line to mean The Absolute or whoever is responsible for the tadpoles, has changed the rules. He hasn't changed the rules himself.
I don't know what the rules for vampires are in DnD, I'm coming from more or a literary/mythology background here, but he does explain clearly that he's surprised he can enter homes uninvited, walk in the sun, but still can't cross running water. Those are all age-old vampire lore things.

Also, IF he was a true vampire, biting your character would mean he has turned you into a vampire spawn - which has not happened. He doesn't have that power.

Oh now this is where things start to get juicy. Cazador learned of the Absolute and what they were doing with the Mindflayer tadpoles. He saw this as a way to "change the rules" of being a vampire. What he did not expect is that he would be "reborn" and find himself weak and needs the companions to help gain control of the parasite within so that he can harness it's power. Could well be possible that he was unaware that he would gain such power and merely was trying to break free of the bonds of The Hunger/Vampirism... becoming a Daywalker so to speak.

As to the romance part where he bites you? I have not gotten there with Astarion as I have only managed Shadowheart's and Minthara's thus far. BUT.... BUT.... I did read an article that talked about the romance scene and apparently there is a juicy line about you suddenly thirsting... or hunger... or some such reference that hints that you might be turning.


Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Originally Posted by Reckem
3. Now this part is just me theorizing as I have only ever encountered the Monster Hunter once and Astarian was a corpse in my camp from when Halsin jumped me for wiping out the Druid Grove on my evil playthrough. Why would a monster hunter have interest in small time prey like a spawn.... a puppet... no, I think he knew more about his Mark and he was after the big man... Cazador and he had put the pieces together himself. It kind of reminded me of a Van Helsing vs Dracula type of feel

The Gur monster hunter was tasked with bringing Astarion back alive because of the demonic inscription on his back. It appears to be part of a puzzle to be solved later on in the story.

I am making it a point of getting to this guy with Astarian in my party so I can get a full dialogue and see what I can learn here.

Reckem #773311 16/05/21 02:28 AM
Joined: Nov 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Nov 2020
Larian is not going to script, record and animate entire cutscenes just in the hopes of misleading future dataminers.

Originally Posted by Reckem
BUT.... BUT.... I did read an article that talked about the romance scene and apparently there is a juicy line about you suddenly thirsting... or hunger... or some such reference that hints that you might be turning.

There is no such line in the romance scene. There's a line like that much later on, but it has no connection to whether you let Astarion snack on you or not. And being turned doesn't work that way in any case.

Reckem #773522 18/05/21 01:52 PM
Joined: May 2021
R
Reckem Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
R
Joined: May 2021
A few more tidbits that I came across:

1. Astarian erupts in some serious enraged anger when you mention master in the bedroom almost similar to that of Vampires we have seen throughout many movies... not your typical puppet demeanor.

2. When Astarian talks about Cazador and his lust for power he mentions that it is not military or any other such power, but the power to control. The same power that Astarian keeps striving for with the parasites. You would think that with all he has been through with his supposed torment and treatment that he would want nothing to do with the very thing that traumatized him so much?

3. At the end of this dialogue, Astarian gives a very sly smile... almost devious in nature.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5