Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I vaguely remember someone saying Baldur's Gate was about a tenday's walk from the grove? That would put us more in line with where etonbears suggests. Don't remember who said it though...

R
old hand
old hand
R
After being rescued, did the fishermen say that there are many days to Baldur's Gate?
I also think it was supposed to be about 10 days away. I don't remember anybody mentioning 3.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by etonbears
In the case of the Thames, it is tidal all the way to Teddington Lock in West London. It's quite a surprise looking into such a large river at low tide to find it almost empty.

I am writing this post about 30m North of the Thames at Windsor, where the Thames is definitely not interested in tides or the sea. The land hereabouts is best described as "soggy mud", and much of the 200km through which the Thames has flowed to get here is also soggy mud ( this is actually quite a good description for much of Britain ). So, not surprisingly, any flat areas that occur along the Thames are deposition of mud, as sand is in short supply.

But, pre-pandemic, for about 20 Years, I spent several weeks each summer hiking in the western United States. The river basins of the Colorado River, Green River, Salt River and Gila River ( for example ) pass largely through arid sandstone landscapes rather than soggy mud, and ( big surprise ) the rivers are heavily fringed with sand. Not only sand, of course, as the geology of these river valleys is quite varied; but lots of sand, and very little soggy mud. Look on the Internet for images of "Canyonlands", "Bryce Canyon", "Capitol Reef" if you want to get an idea of how different this is from the rivers of western Europe.

What surprises me more is that BG3 seems to set the Chionthar in a sandstone valley setting, and Yartar ( the city the Nautiloid attacks ) seems to be a cross between Mediterranean and Sumerian/Babylonian architectural inflluences, when most other references to the area ( and prevous maps of it ) distinctly suggest western-European-soggy-mud would be more likely.
It's not tidal here in Oxford either (well obvs, since we're further inland) but the meadows and what-not about half a mile from here are quite prone to becoming mud and I've ended up with significantly muddy feet as a result. Not good for running away from the killer cows that like to menace passers-by. Then there's Tewkesbury in the other direction which can be menaced by the Severn in various ways, including tides, all of which seem to result in mud. And as I mentioned earlier, the town I was born in on Tyneside, which was named after mud. There does seem to be a certain common theme, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Ah, you really are in the soggy heart of England then! At least the Thames in Oxford, unlike the Tyne, isn't a disturbing shade of brown ( my Mum grew up in Birtley; rather before the Angel of the North existed ). As the pandemic is still wreaking travel havoc, we have booked a cottage in NT Cragside for later in the year to explore more of Northumberland. I confidently expect soggy feet from below and soggy head from above - such is my faith in the British climate smile

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
Well, we know the Teiflings started in Elturel, and are travelling downriver towards Baldurs Gate. We also know that Moonrise Towers is "next stop" downriver on our journey towards Baldurs Gate.

So, I guess that puts us much further upriver than where you calculate? At least according to this map.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That certainly complicate things ...

Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I also think it was supposed to be about 10 days away. I don't remember anybody mentioning 3.
And that would explain those things. laugh

Its possible, i dint play for some time and in few last plays i skipped most of the conversations. :-/
I promiss i shal check next time i get there. laugh
But, its totally possible that i was wrong. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
It was stated in on one of Interviews that Larian took Portugal as reference for both nature and architecture. So the river Chionthar's image in BG3 more likely based on Tagus river. And that river does have sandy beaches, cliffs around and so on.
Plus, yes, tieflings said 10 days, not 3.

old hand
old hand
Interesting, did not realize they referenced Portugal for stuff, kinda cool to think about where small details get their inspiration.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Hey i allready apologized ... just throw your rock and move along. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
L
addict
addict
L
In my opinion, they should just spend a few minutes darkening the sand textures so it looks more like silt than coral. We now know from their Twitter that it’s their ‘thing’ to start games on a beach because of their logo – but I think they could easily avoid some confusion with a minor tweak.

B
stranger
stranger
B
This is a brazillian river (Praia do Tupé, if you want to google it)

[Linked Image from seguindoviagem.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard