Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Coming soon: the heat death of the universe and the full release of BG3. Buy your reservation at Milliways now - it's going to be great show!

Could I get a Gin N Tonic please?

Blackheifer
O
OcO Offline
O
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Coming soon: the heat death of the universe and the full release of BG3. Buy your reservation at Milliways now - it's going to be great show!

But that place is like way out at the end of the universe.

P
addict
addict
P

Don't forget your towel.

old hand
old hand
Maybe we should capture Larian and force them to listen to poetry.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Vogon poetry? That might be hard, since no one but a Vogon could stand to read that stuff out loud, and Vogons are - fortunately, and for the moment - scarce in these parts.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

Maybe that is what happened, and the flood was a cover story? Its always those damn Vogans!

Last edited by Pandemonica; 13/06/21 02:32 AM.
Nope. This game is no longer being made.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

Vogon Poetry ... just to be extra special about it.

old hand
old hand
Oh freddled gruntbuggly...

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Do you mean Gin N Topic?

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, the game has been cancelled, and replaced on the schedule with Backyardiggans on Ice, an FPC and the Prequel Saga Baldurs Gate 1/2: The Construction of Candlekeep, a construction Sim.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Anfindel
No, the game has been cancelled, and replaced on the schedule with Backyardiggans on Ice, an FPC and the Prequel Saga Baldurs Gate 1/2: The Construction of Candlekeep, a construction Sim.

You jest, but something like Dragon Quest builders in Faerun could be a fun and dumb thing to play.

veteran
veteran
Seriously?
I heard that when the developers found out how popular Solasta is, they decided it is not worth trying to compete with such a masterpiece ... and the day after that Larian went bankrupt.

//edit:
Or, maybe, they are simply vaiting for another flood ... just to honor the tradition.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 15/06/21 08:58 PM.

I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
enthusiast
enthusiast
My laundry room flooded on sunday (grr!) and the thought crossed my mind, "I wonder if this counts as a flood that triggers a BG3 update?"
I have no association with Larian of course, though, so it did not. :P

stranger
stranger
Do we have a window on the next update? The lack of news is a bit concerning.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Minicrom
Do we have a window on the next update? The lack of news is a bit concerning.

They will be back "soon" with news.

That's what they said 4 weeks ago, without talking about a patch.

K
stranger
stranger
K
At this point I just do not worry overtly about their silence to be honest, a lot of games I am following in EA have suffered slower than usual decelopment the past 1,5 year due to, among other things, the pandemic borking up all our lives. While I would love to hear from Larian, I have little doubt that Baldur's gate will be finished. It would be folly to expect a 2021 release though..

Overall my experiences with their past EA titles, such as Original SIn 1 & 2, give me little cause to be concerned though. I can only hope they will fix my biggest gripes with the game so far, namely get the cleric and druid spells out of my wizard spell list! lol. Oh and make stealth checks more frequent and have enemies look for you more actively, like they do (somewhat) in real time mode.

the barrelmancy end surfaces do not bother me too much, but tweaking the height advantage a bit for this title seems also to be a bit necessary. I would like height advantage/disadvantage only to apply to bows and cross bows for example... no need to make spells easier/harder to hit based on your position on the cliffside smile

And even though I've played every D&D title since Baldur's gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, as well as torment and the neverwinter night series.. the Larianisms don't bother me too much, but I guess I can be a minority in that.

It just needs tweaking, as I feel the height advantage seems to augment the already strong ranged classes a bit too much sometimes. Especially if they also have access to double attacks. But to get back on topic, Larian where art thou! Volo wants to help you fix your eyesight, him being the expert on well.. everything

T
T
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
but I guess I can be a minority in that.

You're not really in the minority, most feedback agrees with you that the baseline concepts are fine/add to the game but need to be tweaked/toned down because the the way Larian has ramped those concepts up to 11 is what breaks the gameplay.

Larianism is the excessiveness in implementation, not the original concepts themselves. Classic example of excessive implementation is the blackpits fight in DOS2, environmental hazards are interesting, the blackpits are demoralizing and annoying after the first time because it is stupidly over the top and unnecessary.

K
stranger
stranger
K
it needs a lot of tweaking, and many things I expect to change quite a bit, I mean... a wizard learning all the spells under the sun? that would make druid and especially cleric pretty much not needed lol. Not sure if I believe the claim that it will be up to 3 times bigger than Original Sin 2 mapwise though. But I guess act I is already a lot bigger than the prison island from DOS 2. And we are still missing the overland routes of act 1 to get to moonrise (Mountain Pass and Shadowlands/Risen Road or some such).

But hey.. at least they made wizard feel a bit like it used to in BG I and II compared to Solasta lol. One of the drawbacks in wizards in that game, in my opinion is the inability to stack blur and the missing mirror image (still not sure why they took that out, lol). I cannot be the only one who loved stacking protections on your wizard before facing a dragon for example, in Baldur's Gate II.

Solasta might be more faithfull to the D&D 5E ruleset so far, but it felt a bit rushed sadly. The combat was nice and all in Solasta, but the story quickly fell off a cliff, well at least for me. I know it was due to budget constraints, but dogmatically sticking to their six month release window, hurt the game in the story department somewhat.

Last edited by Kimuriel; 16/06/21 10:48 AM.
T
T
One of the drawbacks in wizards in that game, in my opinion is the inability to stack blur and the missing mirror image (still not sure why they took that out, lol). I cannot be the only one who loved stacking protections on your wizard before facing a dragon for example, in Baldur's Gate II.

That's nothing to do with BG3 and everything to do with 5e trying to bring wizards inline with fighters not solasta. 5e is designed to prevent stacking buffs. Regarding Mirror Image in particular, it is in the game files, it's just doesn't have the "implemented": "true" flag yet. It'll probably be added later when the VFX is done, same way guardian of faith was activated in the latest patch.

Solasta might be more faithfull to the D&D 5E ruleset so far, but it felt a bit rushed sadly. The combat was nice and all in Solasta, but the story quickly fell off a cliff, well at least for me. I know it was due to budget constraints, but dogmatically sticking to their six month release window, hurt the game in the story department somewhat.

I don't know how you expect them to ignore the budget and keep working if they can't pay staff. Anyway, an extra few months wasn't going change that when they locked themselves into the voiced dialogue approach, they would have had to rehire voice actors and recording studio time for additional lines. So that wasn't happening. They would have been more flexible if they stuck to text and no closeups.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard