Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#775642 03/06/21 06:44 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

I already sent this to support, with all logs and whatnot, but I wanted to make this thread just in case it could help them as I found out more information. It could also help others, maybe.

So, basically, I am unable to run Baldur's Gate 3 from within GOG Galaxy. If I try to, it will either crash immediately on the launcher screen or crash during the first loading screen. However, if I go into the installation folder and run the dx11 .exe from there as admin, it runs. Vulkan, however, refuses to launch no matter what I do.

Eventually, someone told me deleting vulkan-1.dll from System32 allows the game to launch. I do not know how safe this is, so I copied the file into a .zip someplace safe and deleted the file. And, like magic, BD3 began running DX11 through GOG Galaxy without admin. Vulkan still obviously doesn't work, but DX11 does work now. Has anyone else experienced this? What was your solution? Does the above work for you?

As for the developers, if the person who was in my support ticket sees this, I hope the vulkan-1.dll thing is helpful in pin-pointing the cause of these crashes and Vulkan not working.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I always run from the game's exe when running a Gog game--I never launch it through the Galaxy UI. I use Galaxy to install and update my games, but I run every one of them from their exe's just as I did with Gog games before I began using Galaxy (after it came out of beta.)

I run the dx11.exe and it runs smoothly for me--HDR at 4k is among the best looking HDR games that I have! The few times I have run the vulkan version of the game it always runs, but aside from the vulkan version not supporting HDR at present, it simply doesn't run as well as the D3d11.exe version--not by half. So I haven't run the vulkan version for any length of time, actually.

This is not a complaint because I'll gladly use whichever version runs best--I am API agnostic...;)

Last edited by Waltc; 03/06/21 07:20 PM.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
Got it to work for me in GOG. I reset the launcher (in launcher settings). Shut everything down, rebooted computer, started up gog... ran launcher, reconnected my gog account in launcher, started client in Vulcan, and it is now running fine with Vulcan.

Last edited by Aazo; 04/06/21 05:15 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've been looking for a reset option in Galaxy, but I can't seem to find it. Do you mind if I ask for a bit more information on that?

EDIT

Well, I couldn't figure out how to reset it within the app, so I uninstalled it, used CCleaner to completely erase it, rebooted and reinstalled, re-scanned the games and then tried to launch Vulkan on the launcher. It crashed immediately. Now it is back to crashing upon hitting the play button (because I set it to Vulkan). frown

Last edited by Rhyagelle; 05/06/21 02:56 PM.
Originally Posted by Rhyagelle
I've been looking for a reset option in Galaxy, but I can't seem to find it. Do you mind if I ask for a bit more information on that?

EDIT

Well, I couldn't figure out how to reset it within the app, so I uninstalled it, used CCleaner to completely erase it, rebooted and reinstalled, re-scanned the games and then tried to launch Vulkan on the launcher. It crashed immediately. Now it is back to crashing upon hitting the play button (because I set it to Vulkan). frown

In Larian launcher ... settings is hidden in the bottom left corner. Thats where I reset it from.

Edit: I am also running a pretty high end machine (my video editing box) w 16 core threadripper processor, radeon VII vid card, 128 gig of ram, etc.. I am running the most current video card drivers as well from AMD.

Last edited by Aazo; 06/06/21 04:40 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Alrighty, I'll try that now.

EDIT

Unfortunately, that did not work. It brought up the game again, but crashed at the first loading screen. I guess it's just not something I can repair myself.

For the developers/whoever is in charge, the crash came back with another ticket number. If this should help, here it is: 98c91a00-4a87-ff04-0000-000000000000

Last edited by Rhyagelle; 06/06/21 10:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
For further help you should use the support system, that goes directly to the support team, if you can't figure it out with community help smile

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey,

I already have. They passed along the information, but I wanted to see if others had the issue and if they fixed it. I also wanted to share more information after the support, but didn't know how to update that information because there's no real support ticket system, only an email system. I'll check again.

veteran
veteran
Ah. You should be fine with replying to the email, it goes into the ticket system backend. There's just no login page for you, so from the customer PoV it's purely email.

Link Copied to Clipboard