Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#775974 06/06/21 05:43 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Not sure if this was ever further discussed. Will strongholds be available in BG3?

As a reminder:
In BG2 during Shadows of Amn events, you have the opportunity to obtain a stronghold based on your class choices after the completion of certain quests. Each stronghold has its own functions, ranging from making more gold to creating exclusive magical items, obtaining a stronghold also opens up a series of subsequent quest chain, yielding more XP and rewards.

Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Blackguard Ruling the de'Arnise Keep and Lands.
Ranger Ranger-Protector of the Umar Hills.
Paladin (except Blackguard) Paladin Stronghold Duties
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
Druid Heeding the Spirit of the Grove
Mage, Sorcerer Claiming the Sphere
Thief Thieves' Guild Stronghold
Bard Running the Five Flagons

enthusiast
enthusiast
An interesting idea!

I haven't played BG2, and so far BG3 isn't really feeling like our ragtag group is in need of a castle or stronghold - YET - and we do not wield any political power nor do we have any aspirations to... but I'm guessing at the point when we get to the city of Baldur's Gate, something like that may happen to give us a "base of operations"?

I don't think the current camp is permanent and eventually we will get some kind of upgrade. Is that what you mean? Or are you thinking something similar to Skyhold in DA:I?

Last edited by Alexandrite; 06/06/21 05:53 AM.
old hand
old hand
The idea of a stronghold would actually assume that we're staying in Baldur's Gate once we get there, which might end up being a doubtful prospect if the plot moves like most people are expecting. Unless we end up retrofitting the stronghold with plane shifting/teleportation magic/technology or something.

Or the stronghold would be something out of the ordinary and something that can potentially follow us into wherever the plot takes us, like... A hijacked mindflayer airship. Which wouldn't be too different from the Lady Vengeance in D:OS2, now that I think about it. But that would also mean that we're not really getting anything that's really customizable too.

...Why do I get the feeling that we're totally hijacking a mindflayer ship at the end of act 1?

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 06/06/21 06:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
This feels odd. O_o

I just dont like when game is forming itself around your class ...
It would be so much better if you simply get the same building, and you could make it whatever your would like ... along with some general options. :-/

It just feels the same as if you drag chainmail off your paladin, and put it on your barbarian ... and sudently *POOF* and it turns into two leather straps over the chest. laugh laugh laugh Simply wrong.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
This feels odd. O_o

It would be so much better if you simply get the same building, and you could make it whatever your would like ... along with some general options. :-/

It just feels the same as if you drag chainmail off your paladin, and put it on your barbarian ... and sudently *POOF* and it turns into two leather straps over the chest. laugh laugh laugh Simply wrong.

This feels way more wrong to me.

Having a side quest that leads to a different outcomes depending your class is very cool.
It's only one way to increase the replayability and to feel that your main character is special.

The same building for everyone is just more lazy.

I doubt Larian will add something like this though.
It's not like if BG3 was inspired in any ways by BG1/2...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/06/21 09:32 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Cleric Cleric Stronghold
This feels odd. O_o

Uh. Just one building to make it whatever one wants? I strongly not agree on that. Seems incredibly shallow. Like having 1 class for everyone and you just pick whatever skills you want. Seems very...hardcore communist. We all get the same old appartement buidling, but hey you can design the interior however you want! Versus, you can get either a groove, a pub, a keep , a palanr sphere etc....plus quests that goes along. Way more interesting in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
We all get the same old appartement buidling, but hey you can design the interior however you want! Versus, you can get either a groove, a pub, a keep , a palanr sphere etc....plus quests that goes along. Way more interesting in my opinion.
Yeah, sure that would be even better ...
Do you want to be a druid, that is owning fighting pits in middle of the town? No problem.
Do you want to be a barbarian, that is owning Silvanus groove outside the town? No problem.

Let player decide is allways the best.

To be perfectly clear i dont like it most when you are playing tief, or assassin, or warlock, or something simmilar that is by its core suppose to be shady person ...
And then you get building with giant neone sign "Tief's guild hideout". -_-
While simple pub, with some backroom space would work just fine ... but to get pub you would need to play a Bard.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/06/21 09:33 AM.

veteran
veteran
And why would the druids let you rule their druid grove if you're a rogue ? Because you're the player ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/06/21 09:34 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
That depends on story ...

Main question would be if that grove was allready working and you somehow get in charge ... and then ofcourse question is how ...
If you get it for catching previous archdruid favourite ant, it would be kinda awfull ... if you get it for cleansing whole land of shadowcurse, they should probably agree that your bond with nature is strong enough, even if you are not druid. :P

Then, there is another way to do it ...
And it would be that there is no druid groove at this place, and you simply get this land ... and build a grove there. wink

veteran
veteran
Oh yeah that make a lot of sense sleep

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/06/21 10:11 AM.

veteran
veteran
Doesnt it? O_o
What building would you give to person who is Rogue with 1lvl Druid as multiclass? O_o

old hand
old hand
Honestly, I'd prefer one Stronghold type building where it can be expanded and upgraded, ideally with each recruited companion (Origin and Non Origin) as well as Camp Follower (Like Volo and Scratch) having their own room or section that has been customized for them and their interests, it'd make it feel like a home base in the city of BG, with the camp itself only coming to play when you are not at/near the city. Alternatively our Stronghold doesn't necessarily have to be in the city of BG and it could be some fitting structure we find, perhaps the home of whoever is putting these waypoint sigils down...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I doubt Larian will add something like this though.
It's not like if BG3 was inspired in any ways by BG1/2...

This

E
addict
addict
E
I liked the class based strongholds. Flavoursome and added to replayability; made me curious to play classes I would normally avoid just to see what the stronghold quests ensued.

Can’t see Larian doing it though, bar a miracle.

veteran
veteran
I really hope we will get a house in Baldur's gate that will replace the camp once we get there

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
R
old hand
old hand
R
PLS NOPE.
Seriously, I don't remember the role-playing game that actually implemented this mechanic in any meaningful way. Usually it's an underdeveloped, boring job that quickly becomes no longer fun. I would prefer them to spend more time refining sensible mechanics.

S
addict
addict
S
I like the idea, but in practical terms class/level specific strongholds would entail a lot of resources spent on content that a huge portion of the players will be either wholly or largely locked out of. It would help offset the Origin-characters turning custom player characters generic though (which is the ANTITHESIS of the essence of Baldur's Gate), and we have yet to see Larian doing anything to live up to their promises in this regard.

Last edited by Seraphael; 06/06/21 07:40 PM.
E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
PLS NOPE.
Seriously, I don't remember the role-playing game that actually implemented this mechanic in any meaningful way. Usually it's an underdeveloped, boring job that quickly becomes no longer fun. I would prefer them to spend more time refining sensible mechanics.

Well, I wouldn't agree with your first sentiment but that's of no significance really. I would also however like to see Larian refine the mechanics but honestly, 'sensible mechanics' really don't seem to be of any concern to them at all.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
PLS NOPE.

To me I feel that was more of a cool little <side mission> detailed that further expanded the world and atmosphere of the game.

veteran
veteran
Sure, travelling to De Arnise's keep to free your companion's familly wasn't cool !
Solving the problems in Jaheira's grove wasn't interresting !
Going deep in the Umar Hill to find what was going wrong there wasn't EPIC.

Those side quests were just awesome and so was the reward. Seriously guys go play BG1/2, looks like a lot never did.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/06/21 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard