Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DMG Page 263
As the Dungeon Master, you aren’t limited by the rules in the Player’s Handbook, the guidelines in these rules, or the selection of monsters in the Monster Manual. You can let your imagination run wild. This chapter contains optional rules that you can use to customize your campaign, as well as guidelines on creating your own material, such as monsters and magic items.

The options in this chapter relate to many different parts of the game. Some of them are variants of rules, and others are entirely new rules. Each option represents a different genre, style of play, or both. Consider trying no more than one or two of the options at a time so that you can clearly assess their effects on your campaign before adding other options.

Before you add a new rule to your campaign, ask yourself two questions:

* Will the rule improve the game?
* Will my players like it?

If you’re confident that the answer to both questions is yes, then you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. Urge your players to provide feedback. If the rule or game element isn’t functioning as intended or isn’t adding much to your game, you can refine it or ditch it. No matter what a rule’s source, a rule serves you, not the other way around.

Beware of adding anything to your game that allows a character to concentrate on more than one effect at a time, use more than one reaction or bonus action per round, or attune to more than three magic items at a time. Rules and game elements that override the rules for concentration, reactions, bonus actions, and magic item attunement can seriously unbalance or overcomplicate your game.

So here my issue with some of Larian's house rules, they are ignoring the advise of the designers of D&D to not to mess with certain things and the two questions that you should ask for any house rules.

There is also the very good advice of "Urge your players to provide feedback." which is why we have these forums but I am not that sure they are paying any attention to their players, instead looking at their metrics and using those to support their ideas about how D&D should work.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 11/06/21 12:51 AM.
old hand
old hand
Amen!

veteran
veteran
Ah, but take a look at the first line you quoted
As the Dungeon Master, you aren’t limited by the rules in the Player’s Handbook, the guidelines in these rules, or the selection of monsters in the Monster Manual.
I would classify the "2 questions you should ask" as guidelines; ergo Larian doesn't need to ask them!

On a more serious note, the answers to those questions (with explanations of Larian's thought process on why it'd improve the game) is something I really want to see in this next mythical community update.

veteran
veteran
* Yes ...
* Yes ...

I dont see any problem. :P laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran

- No
- No

There's a problem.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
enthusiast
enthusiast
  • Yes
  • Yes

Page 1 of the DMG
The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren't in charge. You're the DM, and you are in charge of the game.

and a bonus one about advantage:
The DM can also decide that circumstances influence a roll in one direction or the other and grant advantage or impose disadvantage as a result.

600+ hours of EA and still having a blast!

Last edited by Alodar; 11/06/21 10:53 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

- No
- No

There's a problem.

Very agreed.

veteran
veteran
There's a problem.
So the problem is a million people with different prefferences and tastes is not able to decide single ultimate way of doing things?
How unexpectable. laugh

veteran
veteran
From time to time I wish that people who are quick to approve anything Larian is doing would bother going into the details of HOW they think these arbitrary changes are actually improving the flow of the combat.
And I mean in a "X is better than Y because of reason Z" sort of way.
Not in that cheerful, clueless "I'M MORE OR LESS FINE WITH WHATEVER!" angle that usually summarizes their takes.

Then again, sometimes you get the vibe that someone at Larian could take a dump on their dinner table and some of them would swear on their lives that the smell isn't that bad and it stimulates their appetite.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
And I mean in a "X is better than Y because of reason Z" sort of way.
You and me both ...
But not in that grumpy, clueless "I'M TOTALLY AGAINST WHATEVER THAT IS NOT IN RULESET FOR TABLETOP!" angle that usually summarizes their takes. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
But not in that grumpy, clueless "I'M TOTALLY AGAINST WHATEVER THAT IS NOT IN RULESET FOR TABLETOP!" angle that usually summarizes their takes. smile
Only if you are blind/oblivious/illiterate.

There are people here that wrote BOOKS on the negative effect of some changes.

It's like as it was with the horrendous armor system in DOS 2: hundreds of posts explaining in painful detail what didn't work with it and Larian and their defenders going "Nu-uh, it's great, you don't like it just because it's new but you'll come around eventually".
Only to admit a year later in a post-mortem that it was terrible and it was a mistake to ship with it.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/06/21 11:15 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
True ...
But those people are like 1 of 1000. :-/

veteran
veteran
There's a problem.
So the problem is a million people with different prefferences and tastes is not able to decide single ultimate way of doing things?
How unexpectable. laugh

It's not a mater of taste.
If half the people understood where the issues comes from and why the game is so unbalanced the opinions would be different.
It would also be different if we could level up to level 5 because combats are going to become ridiculously easy.

Those same people just don't understand what suggestions are made, why they are made and what they would lead to. Maybe their imagination is very limited... or maybe they don't care because they're close minded.

I really think that you as many here are not usual to tactical turn based game.
To be honnest I think you just don't understand the problems raised as you had proven many times.
Things may not be a problem to you but you even don't understand what your experience would be with things reworked...

Would you like the game less if you couldn't eat pigs head as a bonus action ?
Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
Would you like it less if disengage as a bonus action was not allowed for everyone ?

Many of us raised facts while many of you just raised nothing.
I'm still waiting for someone to give arguments and explain why he love things like they are/why he wouldn't like things like it's suggested (closer to Raw with specific homebrew)... But it looks that it won't ever happen.

You're arguing for the sake of it without any arguments but "I'm right, you're wrong", as you had also proven many times.

True ...
But those people are like 1 of 1000. :-/

And ? Read those books Tuco's talking about and stop being one of the 999 that were WRONG about the armor system (according to Larian).

It's because of you and the 998 others that this (apparently bad) system is in the game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/06/21 12:27 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
You should expect this coming ...

It's not a mater of taste.
Isnt it? How so?
I mean this statement isnt exactly the brightest example of "X is better than Y because of reason Z". :-/

The mostly repeated complaints, related to game mechanics, i noticed around here are:

"barellmancy"
> Totally matter of taste, there is nothing forcing you to use it, if you dont want ... i tryed and EA can be played without even single barell blown.

"high ground"
> It might seem like it isnt matter of taste, since there is no way to avoid this mechanic ... but since you sugested in your own example switching advantage for +1, or +2 bonus ... it starts to feel like matter of taste, since you obviously dont have problem with mechanic itself. O_o

"backstab"
> I have only 325h played ... but honestly i dont remember even single NPC running around my character to get backstab advantage. O_o So i would say this is the same as with barells ... but maybe i just forget something. :-/

"jump with evasion"
> Honestly i dont quite understand this complaint ... people want evasion (or dodge or w/e they want to call it) so they can run off meele range without causing AOO ... that means they want to use it with combination of movement ... wich is exactly that jump do ... pure matter of taste, if you ask me. :-/

"six members party"
> I dont even know what to say here, since the only arguments i even heared about this topic was "it would be better" or "i would like it more" ... wich are, again, pure matter of taste. :-/

"day/night"
> Same as abowe. :-/

If half the people understood where the issues comes from and why the game is so unbalanced the opinions would be different.
Presumably they would care ...
Like i understand how hightened AC, and HP makes game unballanced (you were the one who explained to me, BTW) ... yet the game is still playable for me and most encounters i met so far was manageable ... so it dont bother me much to be honest. :-/

It would also be different if we could level up to level 5 because combats are going to become a joke (is that the story mode ?)
This is pure speculation, from me ofcourse ... but i dare to presume that Larian will use their gathered data about how many people actualy have problems with encounters, and use them to set dificiulty ... once they would implement them.
So, yes, curent game might easily end as story mode.

I really think that you as many here are not usual to tactical turn based game.
It depends on what games you count ...
Im huge fan of Heroes of Might and Magic games ... wich i personaly concider as very tactical, turn based games ... and i allways enjoyed the most those fights where i had much weaker army than my oponent, yet i managed to get out with as low loss as possible, preferably none ofc.
I also loved original Fallout, also quite tactical turn based game, even tho i would say it was not as tactical as heroes ... more about creating your character the right way and picking the right order of oponents.
Of course i was growing with Worms: Armageddon ... i know that is completely different kind of game, but still turn based ... and still quite tactical. smile
And last but not least ... there are chess, wich i love and play for last 15 years ... im still horrible in them tho, but i love them anyway. laugh

To be honnest I think you just don't understand the problems raised as you had proven many times.
That is certainly possible ...
Aswell as many times i was simply told that "this would be better, and if you dont understand that fact then you are stupid" ... not necesarily with theese words.
Wich dont help much. laugh

Or, also quite common experience around here "too long, didnt read". laugh
That dont help much either. laugh

On the other hand, there was few situations where people actualy cared to explain the problem, like it was with AC and HP, where you were talking ... where i understand the core of problem, admit that i was wrong, and leave the dicussion for the others. :P
But to be honest, that topic was more exception, than standard.

Things may not be a problem to you but you even don't understand what your experience would be with things reworked... Would you like the game less if you couldn't eat pigs head as a bonus action ? Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
First example: Since i dont, i believe it would not change my experience much. laugh
Second example: You are right, i dont know ... since there is no way to try. But i dont feel like it should be my fault. :-/

This is simply not true ...

I'm still waiting for someone to give arguments and explain why he love things like they are/why he wouldn't like things like it's suggested (closer to Raw with specific homebrew)... But it looks that it won't ever happen.
Honestly im asking myself why even bother. laugh

If you read your whole post ... you describe me as lowest of the lowest, stupid, deaf, blind, ignorant, keep repeating the same ... even if us, specificly you and me, actualy argumented about several things in several topics allready ... and even tho i admit that was not allways the case, at least "some" of those arguments were good, when we BOTH have reasons, explains, examples, etc.
Yet, few topics later in your eyes im once again just another head in crowd, where everyone have the same opinion, just bcs that one next to him said so. laugh

And its not just about "myself" even tho i believe its understadable that is something that i notice the most. laugh
But look how people around here is talking to Larian? "You did nothing", "You adressed NONE important topic", "You tuned useles s*it, but ignored important" ... nothing here, nothing there ...

In short, as long as the best i can get is "it would be better" the best i can offer it "it would not."

And ? Read those books Tuco's talking about...
You know, this might be a surprise for you, but im actualy reading it all. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 11/06/21 01:32 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
To be completely honest ...
In fact, as I read this post, I wonder if you are lying out of ignorance or intentionally ... and if this is the second case, then why.

Unfortunately, the opposite is true, I have already supported many proposals here, which were more than just a little negative and I am not interested in positivity or negativity in principle ...
I just have slightly different opinions than the others ...

Once again, unfortunately, the display of all posts from that person is currently out of order, so you would have to search for my posts via the "search" button, which I quite doubt you would bother.
However, I still wonder if this personal attack was necessary at all.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:00 AM. Reason: deleted forum account

enthusiast
enthusiast
Is there something in the game that forces you to do this? If you don't think it makes sense then don't do it.

Would you like the game less if being higher gave you a +1 or +2 bonus rather than an advantage ?
That's not D&D 5E rules. The DM awarding advantage where they think it is appropriate is.

Would you like it less if disengage as a bonus action was not allowed for everyone ?
Love the disengage mechanic. Works great for a video game.

The problem is that many folks get their opinion confused with facts.
This a forum for arguing for our personal preferences but that's all they are: personal preferences.

addict
addict
<Redacted>
The problem is that Solasta has shown that it works.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:01 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
addict
addict
<Redacted>
Unfortunately, at this point I think that not following the rules and mix DOS mechanics in there was an early decision. I just wish they'd been more straightforward about so that I'd never expect a full D&D game.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:02 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alodar
Is there something in the game that forces you to do this? If you don't think it makes sense then don't do it.

That's not D&D 5E rules. The DM awarding advantage where they think it is appropriate is.

Love the disengage mechanic. Works great for a video game.

The problem is that many folks get their opinion confused with facts.
This a forum for arguing for our personal preferences but that's all they are: personal preferences.

- The uniqueness of classes is toned down because of the homebrew, that's a fact.
- Disengage as a bonus action have huge consequences on the AOO mechanic, that's a fact.
- Tons of spells and features are suboptimal choices because there are more optimal mechanics to have advantage/disadvantage, that's a fact.
- The game drives you to / reward you better if - you play with a limited number of mechanics, that's a fact.
- The game is balanced arround those mechanics, that's a fact.
- The reaction system doesn't work as intended in DnD. The system in BG3 doesn't give you a proper control, that's a fact.

I gave you facts.
Those facts limit our creativity, our choices, our tactical possibilities, the (tactical) depth of the game, the replay value of the game, the control we have over our characters, they create balance issues, and so on...

I'm glad for you if that suits your personnal preferences. It doesn't match with mine.

(Not to mention the disingenuous "it's not D&D 5e rules" but the "Love the disengage mechanic" or the "don't use it if you like it" that makes me think that you really don't understand the problem as a whole)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/06/21 02:31 PM.

veteran
veteran
<Redacted>
I did huh?
Once again, you lie ... or at least telling something that is not thruth. O_o
Wich, at least here when i come from ... is actualy concidered being personal attack.

But since, in this case your false acusation is in same topic, it would be easy enough for me to proove you wrong:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Not in that cheerful, clueless "I'M MORE OR LESS FINE WITH WHATEVER!" angle that usually summarizes their takes.

This, my friend, is called Satire ...
Satire (from the Latin (lanx) satura - omnipotence) is a designation for a work of art, especially a literary one, using comicism, ridicule, caricature and irony to criticize shortcomings and negative phenomena. wink
(Source: Wikipedia)

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 11:03 AM. Reason: deleted forum account

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard