Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I meant to add that mages can benefit pretty heavily from huntsman bonuses as well. A 2 level dip in Huntsman is recommended for Tactical Retreat alone as mages generally lack mobility skills otherwise and the haste attached to it is always great to have. The bonus +20% high ground damage is a significant boost in damage too. And they can get more levels in Huntsman from gear, which late game becomes a better investment once your favored elements are close to getting maxed out and provided that you can always get to high ground.

It's the same kind of principle as archers and necromancy builds investing in Warfare even if they have little use for the actual skills in it, because Warfare boosts ALL physical damage inflicted. It's why archers were able to one-round almost everything they looked at mid-late game in vanilla DOS2 until the definitive edition slightly nerfed them.

This is one of the reasons why I did not like D:OS2 system and I never finished the game.
I have the feeling that Larian hates classes. Every char should be able to do everything. In previous games the "class" only gave them different start abilities/stats but everyone could learn anything.

In BG3 the homebrew rules changes are so powerful that they make differences between classes pointless.
For example in 5E only rogues can hide as a bonus action which is powerful for them. In BG3 anyone can do it.
I think that the class is a very importent concept in DnD and different classes should feel different.

Yes Solasta does have homebrew stuff too.
Main reason is the licence, so they could only use one official subclass per class and they had to invent other subclasses.
I had a greenmage who gets light armor profiency, bow profiency, archery combat style and some ranger spells.
You can think that this is too powerful or not, but it is still a mage. Only mages can learn spells from scrolls and they can learn and use only spells that are on their spell list.
For example the only ranger spell I used for her was goodbarries so I do not have to carry rations.
(note to self: have to check if hunters mark works with multi hit spells and doubles the damage of magic missle for example)

So I think BG3 homebrew stuff is bad because it is more powerful than any class features and as result all classes feel the same.
The homebrew stuff in Solasta is less bad because the different classes stay different and each class keeps their class specific stuff.
We could argue if each individual rule change is too strong or too weak, but I believe that different classes should feel different.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Madscientist
- BG3 is proud of being vertical. Then please add fly and spiderwalk too, this was great in Solasta.
When I see BG3 now, "fly" being a big jump feels just wrong.

Although I enjoyed these somewhat, they are janky a lot of the times. Particularly when aiming ranged attacks.

- Please use actions, bonus actions and reactions properly, as written in the DnD rules. Solasta felt like a well balanced game. BG3 feels like complete cheese in comparison. Jumping behind enemies for backstab or shoot/hide while enemies stand there and do nthing feels so wrong.
I don't know, Solasta took plenty of liberties with the rules as well. The daylight spell has been heavily buffed for one. But yeah, it does take less liberties.

That said I can't say that means it is balanced. I still adjust the difficulty setting (thank the devs for those sliders!) to make the encounters more difficult (apart from the very start of the game, the first few encounters are incredibly annoying). And in BG3 you can get through encounters without using jump/barrelmancy etc and without those exploits the game seems fair enough.

- The way reaction are managed in Solasta is good. A window popping up "do you want to use this reaction now?" does not disturb the game flow. It does not happen every round and you can ask about several reactions at once..

Definitely.

- Solasta shows you at character creation and at every level up what your character can learn at later levels, what subclasses you can select and what these subclasses will give you.
In BG3 its much harder to plan your character if you do not look in the wiki.

Useful, but would be nice if they gave you a list of Feats. Although I might have just missed that
- Fast travel: In Solasta you can fast travel on the map if the path to your target is free. This feels OK. In BG3 it feels wrong that you can instandly teleport to any waypoint from anywhere, even from the underdark to the top of a mountain.
Strong disagree. Getting interrupted by random goblins/skeletons/bandits/etc is so tedious. Most of the time its just a waste of 5-10 minutes. Sure, you get some loot, but apart from that those don't add to the tension or anything.

I really like that Solasta and Kingmaker/wotr use many different setting so each player can define its own difficulty.
It would be great if you can select enemy/player stats or your own adjustment of the rules separately.

Definitely, adjusting the difficulty is a great and easy way to balance the game for each player

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
(note to self: have to check if hunters mark works with multi hit spells and doubles the damage of magic missle for example)

Hunters mark works only with weapon attacks.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by zamo
Hunters mark works only with weapon attacks.

It used to affect magic spells that made attack rolls, back in the super early stages of the EA. Then I discovered a bug where it somehow multiplied the amount of scorching rays based on how many of the base rays hit (as in, 3 scorching rays somehow turned into 12, and upcasting it to level 3 turned 4 rays into 20), it spawned an argument that went for several hours in their discord about whether it working with magic was an intentional design choice for Greenmage, and the devs came in and said it wasn't and fixed it up real good in the following patch.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 14/06/21 05:53 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
@Eugerome
about fast travel:
In Solasta I liked fast travel on a dungeon/town map.
You open the map, click on the goal and the character icon moves there fast on the normal path.
Technically you can still call it teleport but it felt more immersive for me.

I do not want the world map travel of Solasta in BG3.
I agree that travelling for minutes with the thread of enemy attacks would not great in BG3.
Solasta (and BG2) had a world map and you often travel for long times from one place to another. Monster attacks are plausible there.
In BG3 each act stays in one region and probably you will not travel between regions often.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I see where you are coming from. Travelling on a map does have its appeal, and it does allow for some extra in-game activities like crafting at the same time, which is pretty cool.

But I dislike that stuff and see it as filler. Does it make the world more believable - probably. Does it impact the game mechanically/story wise - not really. So I didn't like it in Solasta as well.

That said it could be just my problem. I skim read fiction books, so maybe I need to mellow down a bit.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eugerome
Travelling on a map does have its appeal, and it does allow for some extra in-game activities like crafting at the same time, which is pretty cool.
@Madscientis talks about fast travel mechanic in each individual map, not the world map. In Solasta it works pretty much the same as in BG3, except has less far fetched in-universe explenation (aka. they still travel, it's just you don't have to suffer through it) rather then magic teleporting thingies. It also allows triggers stuff on your way, so you won't "teleport" over a new event.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I had an idea and I think I understand now a little bit better what I do not like about BG3.

In BG3 you AC does not feel like a protection against enemy attacks, it feels more like a saving throw for half damage.
I believe that attacks that target your AC should simply miss if the attack roll is too low.
Maybe this is how Larian wants to reduce the numbers of full misses because they think this is boring.
Many physical attacks have an elemental part that hits anyway.
Solasta has goblins with fire arrows and spitting spiders too, but their misses just miss and this feels OK for me.

I still do not like it, but maybe I can understand their philosophy a bit better now.
I think that misses are OK when they make sense.
If you have high AC and you can give enemies disadvantage then they should miss you.
It is OK when you or the enemy can fully protect themselves from an attack if they spend a resource to do so, e.g. shield spell.
Misses are a normal part of gameplay, they are not a problem per se.
Only when inflated stats (on both sides, though usually its a matter of enemy stats) lead to a very high numbers of misses it becomes boring.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Pandemonica
- When combat starts it should start for everybody. It feels wrong when one char is locked in turn based combat while others can sneak around and start another alpha strike from a good position.
Place your characters before combat and get a surprize round if you act first, but do not allow characters to sneak around between enemies while they are frozen in time.

No, just no. You are automatically put in combat when a character outside of combat range, gets 1 turn distance from combat. I am not going to spend 4 or 5 turns just to get a controlled character to the combat from 2 rooms over. It is just a bad idea.

Except, if he's 2 rooms over it SHOULD take several turns to get there. The combat shouldn't be frozen in time while you run around with other characters doing whatever you want.

Edit: Or in proper DND terminology "don't split the party"

Last edited by WebSpyder; 07/01/22 05:20 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Except, if he's 2 rooms over it SHOULD take several turns to get there. The combat shouldn't be frozen in time while you run around with other characters doing whatever you want.

Edit: Or in proper DND terminology "don't split the party"
You may want to roll in this thread https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=760775 on the matter of characters staying out of turn-based mode. And Pandemonica been there, their stance is just all the same - they want their videogamey exploit untouched even if there will be a compromise.

addict
addict
I had an idea and I think I understand now a little bit better what I do not like about BG3.

In BG3 you AC does not feel like a protection against enemy attacks, it feels more like a saving throw for half damage.
I believe that attacks that target your AC should simply miss if the attack roll is too low.
Maybe this is how Larian wants to reduce the numbers of full misses because they think this is boring.
Many physical attacks have an elemental part that hits anyway.
Solasta has goblins with fire arrows and spitting spiders too, but their misses just miss and this feels OK for me.

I still do not like it, but maybe I can understand their philosophy a bit better now.
I think that misses are OK when they make sense.
If you have high AC and you can give enemies disadvantage then they should miss you.
It is OK when you or the enemy can fully protect themselves from an attack if they spend a resource to do so, e.g. shield spell.
Misses are a normal part of gameplay, they are not a problem per se.
Only when inflated stats (on both sides, though usually its a matter of enemy stats) lead to a very high numbers of misses it becomes boring.
I'm not quite sure what do you mean here. Because AC is working as AC in BG3, it creates misses, it has nothing to do with half damage. Is there any chance that you mistook one roll with another or mistook miss with a hit because currently the game doesn't always translate misses in proper animations?

addict
addict
I’m about 1.5 hours off 300 in BG3 - so I’m a fan.
I purchased solasta at 50% off as I’ve really been looking forward to it …
Lasted about 1-2 hours the first sorak encounter - terrible movement issues characters blocked - camera as bad as BG3’s can be - turned it off and haven’t gone back.
To say that solasta is a better game is just silly - it’s implementation of a couple of mechanics which could be implemented in bg3 I agree with but it’s also not a major if they don’t.
BG3 is head and shoulders on another level and if it doesn’t take anything from solasta I wouldn’t personally care. I still believe bg3 is a ways off full release so I am interested to see the next patch in 2022…

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarorn
I’m about 1.5 hours off 300 in BG3 - so I’m a fan.
I purchased solasta at 50% off as I’ve really been looking forward to it …
Lasted about 1-2 hours the first sorak encounter - terrible movement issues characters blocked - camera as bad as BG3’s can be - turned it off and haven’t gone back.
To say that solasta is a better game is just silly - it’s implementation of a couple of mechanics which could be implemented in bg3 I agree with but it’s also not a major if they don’t.
BG3 is head and shoulders on another level and if it doesn’t take anything from solasta I wouldn’t personally care. I still believe bg3 is a ways off full release so I am interested to see the next patch in 2022…

Calling someone's opinion silly just because it doesn't agree with yours is silly. See how that works? BG3 is higher budget with better graphics and (IMO) a more engaging story. Beyond that though, Solasta is superior, hands down.

Movement issues? At least you don't get boxed in by your own companions and have to walk your full movement in a circle just to get around them.

Camera issues? Totally agree. Both games blow in the camera control department.

A couple mechanics? Solasta far and above implements 5e mechanics both more faithfully and simply better from a user experience perspective. It isn't just a couple mechanics... its virtually the entire system that Larian claims they're being as faithful as possible to.

Don't even get me started on the vastly different loot systems. Solasta doesn't bog down gameplay with the majority of the time being looting tiny items and empty containers.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Movement issues? At least you don't get boxed in by your own companions and have to walk your full movement in a circle just to get around them.
I have had to spend turns in Solasta because of other characters blocking the way (which was my own fault for not considering the positioning before-hand), so it seems like just a common thing between both games.

Don't even get me started on the vastly different loot systems. Solasta doesn't bog down gameplay with the majority of the time being looting tiny items and empty containers.
This is probably where the Ultima 7 influence of D:OS is bleeding into BG3. I don't really care one way or another, since I agree that it does slow down gameplay, but I think it does also make the world feel more interesting and reactive.

Last edited by Grainofariver; 11/01/22 08:53 AM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard