Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
Originally Posted by Dominemesis
In that case why bother attaching it specifically to 5th Edition. The edition specifically denotes the change in ruleset, whereas the Forgotten Realms, Baldur's Gate, all the campaign setting stuff is basically system version agnostic. The whole point of designating itself a 5E game is to use the 5E ruleset. To the point of the ruleset being boring, I often find anyone suggesting that, when probed further, typically reveal they don't actually know the ruleset well enough to even credibly have that opinion. Lastly, Solasta is doing very well, and while limited by the more restrictive SRD only license, its super faithful implementation of the ruleset is actually very popular and its primary advertised selling point. So dogging the system the game is based on to cover for your own, or the developers understanding/inability to implement it seems pretty sad. I echo the sentiment of the poster above who asked, "Then why even bother with the license in the first place?"
Simply because it's the newest? More in style? So it'd be better for marketing purposes? Also maybe because it's the least complicated system so it'd be easier to work with/adapt, give them more room for mixing in their own rules?

Actually, I feel like 4e, even with all its Dragon magazines, would be the easiest to translate to a videogame. It has some of the least vague rules for dnd and has aspects that seem like they were intended to smooth things out like videogames.
5e was likely chosen because it is the current edition, so both Larian and WotC benefit from a game based on it.

old hand
old hand
Several features of 5e transfered over from 4e, ritual spells being one of them if I am correct.

Well never see a actual 4e game sadly, the only thing that came out of it was Neverwinter Online. Truthfully I think that game is even less related to 4e as BG3 is to 5e.

Last edited by fallenj; 06/07/21 03:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj
Several features of 5e transfered over from 4e, ritual spells being one of them if I am correct.

Well never see a actual 4e game sadly, the only thing that came out of it was Neverwinter Online. Truthfully I think that game is even less related to 4e as BG3 is to 5e.

Honestly, yeah. And which is a shame cause 4e gets a bad rap but is honestly a pretty great system.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Originally Posted by fallenj

Honestly, yeah. And which is a shame cause 4e gets a bad rap but is honestly a pretty great system.

Ya I'd have to agree, it was a nice change from the 3.5 system. My bro, that DM'd our campaign we played said, it was boring though. I do remember the over flow of abilities/spells you got the more levels you went up. I printed them out and put magic the gathering covers on them, it looked more like a hybrid card game done that way, others just used the books or app. The push and pull system that was worked into a lot of the classes was interesting at least if you used figs, you could play the game more tactically, which was another aspect of why I liked it. For example the bard class had a cunning class feature, if someone missed a companion you could move your companion 5 ft (one square) in any direction as a free action once per round. It felt like my companions were more like pawns in a game of chess...mwahaha!

Besides that, they also brought out forgotten realms campaign guide and players guide along with underdark book and others, good amount of interesting info along with the app which was amazing. Was pretty sad how they left that app in the trash bin when I went looking for it.

Edit* I said this previously but i'll say it again since I still believe to be better. The reaction feature in 5e makes less sense than how it is in 4e, a reaction comes after someone acts not before and does not interrupt a persons turn/action that caused the reaction. 4e had reactions split with interrupts to distinguish the two.

Last edited by fallenj; 06/07/21 05:41 PM.
veteran
veteran
I never played anything 4th edition related but I heard enough about it to dislike it pretty much on principle.

From what I gather salient traits of the 4th edition were:

- it was tuned in a very videogame-y fashion, resembling closely a typical MMO.

- Consequently it was very number-focused.

- All class felt pretty much the same to play for the sake of being "balanced" (similar damage output, similar utilities under different names, etc).

I heard good things about its "minions system", on the other hand, but opinions about it seem fairly divided.

Last edited by Tuco; 06/07/21 06:04 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
In that case why bother attaching it specifically to 5th Edition. The edition specifically denotes the change in ruleset, whereas the Forgotten Realms, Baldur's Gate, all the campaign setting stuff is basically system version agnostic. The whole point of designating itself a 5E game is to use the 5E ruleset. To the point of the ruleset being boring, I often find anyone suggesting that, when probed further, typically reveal they don't actually know the ruleset well enough to even credibly have that opinion. Lastly, Solasta is doing very well, and while limited by the more restrictive SRD only license, its super faithful implementation of the ruleset is actually very popular and its primary advertised selling point. So dogging the system the game is based on to cover for your own, or the developers understanding/inability to implement it seems pretty sad. I echo the sentiment of the poster above who asked, "Then why even bother with the license in the first place?"
Simply because it's the newest? More in style? So it'd be better for marketing purposes? Also maybe because it's the least complicated system so it'd be easier to work with/adapt, give them more room for mixing in their own rules?

I think the question was more about DnD rather than the 5th edition.
I guess he could have wrote something like : why didn't they create DoS3 or another IP rather than an game "based" on DnD ? And the answer is probably something like "marketing purposes".

At the moment BG3 is not 100% satisfying both for DoS fans and for DnD fans. Ofc with a lot of nuance but it's pretty obvious that BG3 is an hybrid.
DnD looks like a constraint for Larian and reworking everything create many issues.

My point was that the big thing that designates one edition from the other, is the mechanics, not the setting and lore. So if not trying to be particularly faithful to the rules of 5th Edition, why bother attaching to it? The setting, Forgotten Realms, is edition agnostic, its the ruleset that cares if its 5th Edition or not, so acting like being faithful to the mechanics isn't that big of a deal is bizarre to me. That is my point.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I think the question was more about DnD rather than the 5th edition.
I guess he could have wrote something like : why didn't they create DoS3 or another IP rather than an game "based" on DnD ? And the answer is probably something like "marketing purposes".

At the moment BG3 is not 100% satisfying both for DoS fans and for DnD fans. Ofc with a lot of nuance but it's pretty obvious that BG3 is an hybrid.
DnD looks like a constraint for Larian and reworking everything create many issues.

My point was that the big thing that designates one edition from the other, is the mechanics, not the setting and lore. So if not trying to be particularly faithful to the rules of 5th Edition, why bother attaching to it? The setting, Forgotten Realms, is edition agnostic, its the ruleset that cares if its 5th Edition or not, so acting like being faithful to the mechanics isn't that big of a deal is bizarre to me. That is my point.

Not quite on that. Each edition marks a change in time. For example, BG3 depends on Descent into Avernus happening, which is a 5e module. The editions are kinda a set of stories in Faerun, and Faerun changes as the editions do. Doing a 3.5e game could work but it would be a little incongruous by following the 5e timeline.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So has Sven finally decided if he wants to do D:OS3? I mean, there is no shame in admitting you can't do D&D.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
So has Sven finally decided if he wants to do D:OS3? I mean, there is no shame in admitting you can't do D&D.

I'm hoping not. rather I am hoping Bg3 doesn't become more of a DOS3. Larian has the potential to make the best dnd game ever, and 5e is a part of that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard