Print Thread
#777414 18/06/21 06:05 PM
E
earl45 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Hey folks, does anyone know how Larian handles (or if there are) random encounters?

Does BG3 sort of say, 1) "okay there are going to be 2 orcs in this area and they will appear in a random location" (I pretty apparent they do this already)
or do they also say, 2) "...okay there are going to be 2 orcs in this area and they will appear in a random location and they MIGHT be accompanied by 1-6 goblins" (random party size) (they seem to do this in places)
or do they say 3) "...okay you are in a forest/dungeon and you might encounter a monster(s) (encounter table)" (is this more Elder Scrolls than BG3?)
or is it a combination of the above? (I noticed at the gate encounter for the druid encampment, there seems to be a mix of 1 and 2 where bosses seem to have fixed spots.....)

Has this been discussed elsewhere? I know in DOS2, things seemed largely fixed in the sense of 1.

I do realize random encounters are largely glossed over in the 5e base ruleset, I think with the implication that they are adventure-dependent.

////////

A sub-question of the above is whether Larian might be able to develop on-the-fly random encounters along with random adventures (the 5e DM's guide has a fair amount of material for this). Would this be constructive to the game, enhance or detract from the fun-factor?

veteran
veteran
They are certainly not ingame right now ...
The world is generated as it is, and then it all simply reacts to your party.

If they are planned?
Who knows. But i would not expect it honestly.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
So far every single encounter is hand placed.
And since Larian doesn’t seem to be interested in doing “world map movement” and there isn’t an ACTUAL rest system outside of the instanced camp where you could be interrupted, I doubt random encounters will ever play a role.

Best case scenario: some “pseudo respawn”, meaning that new encounters could appear while backtracking in places where you already cleaned the previous enemies.

Last edited by Tuco; 18/06/21 07:38 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Because of how slow the turn based combat is, I actually thought while playing that NOT having random encounters was nice, if I was trying to get somewhere or was in the middle of exploring something specific.
I know they were a thing in BG1 though so they will probably make an appearance eventually. Won't mind either way, really.
Maybe a camp attack or two would work? Kind of like how Raphael sneaks up on us - but an actual random attack rather than a cutscene.

E
earl45 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I could see the camp attack as a compromise situation. But still it just seems so very un-D&D to eliminate random encounters. I wonder if this is something they are discussing with Wizards of the Coast?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by earl45
I could see the camp attack as a compromise situation. But still it just seems so very un-D&D to eliminate random encounters. I wonder if this is something they are discussing with Wizards of the Coast?
Doing "very un-D&D decisions" never seemed something that bothered them so far, so I'm not sure why they should start worrying about it now.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #777488 19/06/21 05:08 AM
old hand
old hand
Larian has never done "random encounters", whether it's random spawn in a given map, or random world map encounters during travels, or even "fixed" random encounters that always happen after certain conditions have been fulfilled, and I wouldn't hold out hope that they suddenly would now.

Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Because of how slow the turn based combat is, I actually thought while playing that NOT having random encounters was nice, if I was trying to get somewhere or was in the middle of exploring something specific
This is one thing that would make random encounters much less fun, and could make them not want to do it, even if the thought does cross their mind.

But still it just seems so very un-D&D[...]
If you read up on the feedbacks on here you'll realize that this is no where near "un-D&D" as quite a few other things that other players have brought up.

I know they were a thing in BG1 though so they will probably make an appearance eventually
If they're making this game based on "what was a thing in the old games", we would have a very different game right now...

Last edited by Try2Handing; 19/06/21 05:12 AM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
E
earl45 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
Larian has never done "random encounters", whether it's random spawn in a given map, or random world map encounters during travels, or even "fixed" random encounters that always happen after certain conditions have been fulfilled, and I wouldn't hold out hope that they suddenly would now.

--Agreed. I can see it being handled like Fallout 2 (was it 2?). Have a random encounter during fast travel, sometimes. This combined with occasional camp encounters would qualify as fun without falling into the trap below.

Because of how slow the turn based combat is, I actually thought while playing that NOT having random encounters was nice, if I was trying to get somewhere or was in the middle of exploring something specific
This is one thing that would make random encounters much less fun, and could make them not want to do it, even if the thought does cross their mind.

--Yeah. I agree. There are two linked issues:
*combat is slow. This translates into less fun *overall*, more load and redos for some (DOS2). I can see something like random popups of XCOM2 zombies as they were handled still working here (you might play the same encounter twice and a horde of zombies might or might not be there).
*random encounters, done incorrectly = some characters abusing them to grind up and then op the game, e.g. Skyrim. So, yeah, if random encounters were used, it would require some thought.

But still it just seems so very un-D&D[...]
If you read up on the feedbacks on here you'll realize that this is no where near "un-D&D" as quite a few other things that other players have brought up.
--Heh. I am new to the forum so I'll take your word for it. Still, Larian was very clear from early on that it at least aspired to emulate 5e.

I know they were a thing in BG1 though so they will probably make an appearance eventually
If they're making this game based on "what was a thing in the old games", we would have a very different game right now...

Link Copied to Clipboard