Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
stranger
stranger
J
An unwritten rule for homebrew is that if you give characters a benefit that significantly benefits one class, then other classes need to be compensated. Non-Spellcasting classes all get abilities that increase their DPS as enemies have a higher than average HP pool. Wizards have nothing to accommodate for that fact and do not benefit from monsters AC being lowered. The spell pool is a lot smaller, not including all the spells in the game, and say chromatic orb; they give that to the sorcerer? That's a wizard spell! As it's a PC game, creative freedom for spell use is highly diminished, thus further weakening what a wizard can do. If anything, wizards need some compensation if the other classes are receiving them. I'm honestly disappointed Larian is not sticking to the rules and is essentially changing this into a different game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JRoyPlayboy
An unwritten rule for homebrew is that if you give characters a benefit that significantly benefits one class, then other classes need to be compensated. Non-Spellcasting classes all get abilities that increase their DPS as enemies have a higher than average HP pool. Wizards have nothing to accommodate for that fact and do not benefit from monsters AC being lowered. The spell pool is a lot smaller, not including all the spells in the game, and say chromatic orb; they give that to the sorcerer? That's a wizard spell! As it's a PC game, creative freedom for spell use is highly diminished, thus further weakening what a wizard can do. If anything, wizards need some compensation if the other classes are receiving them. I'm honestly disappointed Larian is not sticking to the rules and is essentially changing this into a different game.

ehm....chromatic orb is an arcane spell available to both sorcerers and wizards in both 5e phb and in BG3, it hasn't been a wizard only spell since Ad&d. In fact, in 4e it was a sorc only attack and had some similarities with how it's portrayed in BG3.

I do agree with you that Larians constant home brewing messes up the balance between the classes but if we want them to stick to the rules, we should also be on the same page which rules those are.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by PFlux
As a wizard guy, I go for this class or any magic using class in every game I play. But so far it seems that the wizard draws the short end of the stick way too much in this Baldur's gate. If I would add one suggestion it would be to add intelligence bonus to damage for the wizard evocation spells and cantrip's. Since those seem to play such a huge part in this game.

I know that when you reach level 4 you get a swap option when you go to level your character. You can add 2 point to intelligence there. I do that with my characters, if I feel they need a little more strength, dexterity, wisdom., ect. I just add points there when I reach the current max level of 4.

Old thread and some things have changed (like barrelmancy). That said one thing that would improve things for all casters is if Larian 1. FIXED Range on spells to be 5e spell range (many currently are not), and 2. Fix the MOB's to be 5e accurate for AC, HP, and ability. Until they do that, casters will not have a true 5e experience in this game.

Banned
Banned
To be honest it's kind of hard to talk about balance for individual classes when the combat itself is so easily exploitable. Just look at the fiend/mindflayer fight. It should be something one gets through by the skin of their teeth, instead it's just a shoving competion that only actually gets tricky (read, impossible) when the other two fiends join the fight.

Same for the masks, same for any other hard fight. If you got issues just hide, jump all over the place 'til you get to a good position and the issues are gone.

addict
addict
Cmon … how many wizards you know are earth shattering at lvl 4…
Gales a staple in my party mirror image, burning hands, magic missile, acid arrow the list goes on ..they are a little more challenging but hardly an issue…

enthusiast
enthusiast
Since the Basic and Expert rules, Wizards have always been my favorite D&D class. I originally played Wizards as blaster, it took me years to evolve my playstyle. Since 3.5 Sorcerers are the best aoe blasters. And Warlocks are good single target blasters. Wizards are versatile and are best played as controllers, especially in 5e. Currently we have limited options in BG3, with only Evokers and gimped Abjurers available. Once Enchanters and Diviners are added, the Wizard's real power will become evident.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wizards are pretty meh until they reach level 5 and gain level 3 spells at which point they pretty much delete rooms of monsters. Fireball does 8d6 on a failed dex save to everything in a 40 foot diameter so pretyy much anything with 30hp or lower is dead. Animate dead for 24 hours is pretty amazing for solo wiz/sorc/cleric also.

addict
addict
You know that's not going live like that without some serious mob adjustment. I do love me some fireballs though. I once, in pathfinder (irl TT) gota four round time stop and dropped 1200 damage with fireballs and delayed blast fireballs.

I can't wait for my sorc to get fireball...

Last edited by Imora DalSyn; 04/11/21 05:53 PM. Reason: I can type good
N
old hand
old hand
N
LOL. I literally solo the entire act 1 with a wizard. No other class, except perhaps the sorcerer, can come closer to the power they deliver.

addict
addict
I've seen the game solod completely on wizard, warlock, sorc and druid now.

Wizards are fine, if a little boring to me. I prefer spontaneous spellcasters.

Last edited by Imora DalSyn; 04/11/21 08:07 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
This is funny considering back in the days of 2nd-3rd edition, all Wizards got for cantrips were lousy 1d4 damage spells and mage hand or prestidigitation. Wizards are by far better than they used to be at low level.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard