Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hrammr Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Some time has passed since the early access release date and still dwarf have no proper voice option among available to sound like a dwarf.
How to roleplay when cant roleplaY? frown I understand it is still in development, i just want to know if larian is ever planning to add a proper "scotish drunkard's" voice into the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Like Khelgar, you mean?

Personally, I wouldn't expect a variety of voices in EA. Voiceover is expensive and slow process - you hire actors, you rent a recording studio, audio engineers spend their time on it as well, and then devs will have to link clips with their corresponding dialog lines.

The worst thing about it is, if / when a single line changes, you have to go through this entire process again. Not fast, and certainly not cheap.

Unless Larian decides that all dialogs / remarks that involve a particular character are finalised, and aren't ever going to change, only then it makes sense to start the voiceover. And even then, it's cheaper to do all voicing in bulk, so they can save a bit on studio time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
and then devs will have to link clips with their corresponding dialog lines.
That's a very rare occurrence, in reality.
Most voice over is done without anything more than some vague summary of the context, and even that can be a luxury for some productions.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Most voice over is done without anything more than some vague summary of the context, and even that can be a luxury for some productions.
I'm not sure I'm following you. Voicing in dialogs pretty much always follows the subtitles. All this text has to be written, and more importantly, approved.

Or do you mean something else?

addict
addict
I'm not sure I'm following you. Voicing in dialogs pretty much always follows the subtitles. All this text has to be written, and more importantly, approved.

Or do you mean something else?

He means no one will explain to you the context of the scene in details every single time. They will give you general idea, the leading emotion and go go go go, read it. Fast.
So you might end up with subtitles matching the voice over if something changes rather than the other way.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Valid concern, @ OP, but like mentioned above I doubt we'll get more V/Os until launch.

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
For the record there are already FOUR alternate voices for the player character that have been datamined in the current build.
If they are just "tentative stuff" that will dropped or they'll become available option in the final game is anyone's guess.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, I can't say I understood you, but I think my main point still stands: even vague, generic lines might change at some point, or be replaced. Which (ideally) should mean revoicing them.

For the record there are already FOUR alternate voices for the player character that have been datamined in the current build.
If they are just "tentative stuff" that will dropped or they'll become available option in the final game is anyone's guess.
Yes, I think I've seen them in UI: two male's, two female's. However, the protagonist in this game doesn't seem to be much of a talker; it's not DA:I, where every dialog response is voiced. Indeed, with this amount of speech they could have added all imaginable voice choices on day 1.

Ah, no point guessing, I suppose.

addict
addict
However, the protagonist in this game doesn't seem to be much of a talker; it's not DA:I, where every dialog response is voiced. Indeed, with this amount of speech they could have added all imaginable voice choices on day 1.

Afaik, we still are not entirely sure whether the protagonist is going to be fully voiced. There've been a couple of threads where we discussed the matter quite thoroughly, as, well, fully voiced protagonist is quite the divisive subject. Also remember that it's extra lines for the origins and we have a lot of stuff to voice, making it hard to add more for the custom protagonist. But if they go with "voicebark only" then by all means the more the merrier.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard