Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
What powers might the other classes get from their squirmy little friend? So far we have the following.

Note: Repulsor is acquired by completing Tell Omeluum about the parasite. Only one party member (any class) can acquire it.

Class: Name of Power: Description of power: Range: Recharge rate: Type

Cleric: Survival Instinct: Infuse a creature with psionic force. If it reaches 0 HP, it regains 3d4 HP instead of falling Unconscious.: 18m: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Fighter: Psionic Pull: Pull one creature or object towards you.: 18m: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Ranger: Force Tunnel: Charge forward and push all objects and creatures in your path 4m away from you.: 18m: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Rogue: Inkblot: Create a cloud of magical darkness and immediately attempt to hide. Creatures within the cloud are Heavily Obscured and Blinded. Creatures cannot make ranged attacks into or out of the darkness.: N/A: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Warlock: Supernatural Attraction: You are part of a greater whole. Concentrate on your connection to teleport to another infected creature (a creature with an Illithid Tadpole like you): 18m: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Wizard: Reflective Shell: A protective shell envelops you. It reflects any projectiles targeted at you to their point of origin. Doesn't affect creatures that don't rely on sight or that can see through illusions.: 18m: Once per short rest: Bonus Action

Druid: Aberrant Shape: Magically assume the shape of an intellect devourer that can deal Psychic damage. Your new form has 21 hit points: N/A: Once per short rest: Action

Any: Repulsor: Channel the power of the Absolute, knocking back all creatures and objects within 6m and dealing 2d6 Force. (Attack/Save: Strength). Inflicts Action Surge : N/A: Once per short rest: Action

That leaves the Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Paladin, and Sorcerer left. So what kind of powers will the other classes get. Leave your thoughts down below.

Evil always finds a way.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
O.o Interesting.

I have no idea what the remaining classes might get - but the concept in itself is intriguing as it actually leaves the party with some "benefit" from using the tadpole.

... The ranger and fighter one seems really underwhelming compared to the rest, imo. :'] Especially the ranger since repulsor basically sounds like the same thing but better. laugh

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This is likely only the first power we get from using the Tadpole. We might get more powers later as the game progresses, like the Source Powers we got in Divinity Original Sin 2, or the Bhaalspawn powers from the old BG games.
A major theme is using Psionic powers that help/complement the class so that should give us a hint of what to expect.
Here are some of my ideas.
Sorcerer: Float/Levitate spell
Bard: Mass suggestion
Barbarian: Incite fear/rage
Monk: Mental clarity

Evil always finds a way.
addict
addict
Paladin -> The protector -> Redirects 50% of the damage that would be inflicted on another creature on you. You can use your standart saving throw based on damage type to avoid it. -> 15meters ( you cast it when the fight starts and move away) : once per long rest.

Barbarian -> Scream of fear -> Force enemies to flee(unless succesful saving throw based on conddition) or attack the barbarian for 1 turn with lowered accuracy(saving throw based on condition) . Once per long rest. Radius: 5 meters. Maybe 10.

Bard -> Song of the flayer -> Increases affecte creatures intelligence by 2 for 3 turn. Radius 5 meters. -> Once per long rest. (Could help in intelligence saving throws against mind flayers and drow spells).

Sorcerer -> Innate power -> Low level spell sequencer ( do they still exist in 5th edition ? ) -> Up to 2 sdpells of lower levels can be "saved" and thrown in one go. Once per long rest.

Always fun to speculate.

Last edited by virion; 01/07/21 01:46 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Warlock: "Hope you like Larian's Origin Companions, because you're pretty much screwed if you don't take 'em with you!"

veteran
veteran
What I want to know is what powers/benefits we get from NOT using the tadpole? For me this is the truly important question wrt the tadpole.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Maybe resistance/immunity to Psionic/psychic attacks? Not being persuaded/mind-controlled by the Cult of the Absolute? Having an intact brain?

Evil always finds a way.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
The ranger and fighter one seems really underwhelming compared to the rest, imo. :'] Especially the ranger since repulsor basically sounds like the same thing but better. laugh
Disagree ... i really like Fighter skill, since it helps a lot with High-grounded enemies. :P
There is little conection with class intself sadly, but in this particular example i dont mind it personaly.

Ranger power is really, cool ... as long as you play meele ranger, for ranged one i never find any use for it so far. frown
I would like to see something a little more ranged for Rangers, i dunno ... something like Tar Trap(AoE dificiult terain), or Tentacled arrow(ensnaring your target) ... something like that. laugh

But Warlock is in my opinion certainly the worse. -_-
I just cant find any connection to class there. O_o
And honestly i cant even find any uses for that skill ... basicaly its "spell slot free misty step", but only to places where someone else is allready standing, so its not exactly interesting for attack, more like pure defensive ... even retreat ability. laugh
It just dont fit well to my idea of Warlock ... o_O
I could imagine some "Dominate mind for one round" or "Force to attack nearest target" ...
What i would like the most would be some kind of "Aberant Eldrich blast" ... wich would altern this single Eldrich blast, to create some kind of weaker Intellect Devourer (since it seem quite OP at full strenght) as your companion, if that attack would kill the target.
That would be AWESOME! Especialy for GOO Warlocks. :3

Wizard one seem odd ...
I mean, not wrong as the other two mentioned, its cool certainly ... but i just feels like it simply take Monk ability and give it to Wizard. :-/ But i like it, kinda. laugh

Cleric, Rogue and Druid is working purrfectly i would say ...
They are fun, they are interesting, and i see them being tied to their classes ... so i hope whatever the next classes gets, will be working as good as them. :3

Now to the topic for a second. laugh
I just must say that i really like virion's speculations ...
Except the Sorcerer one ... since i really dont understand it. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 01/07/21 03:52 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Dez
The ranger and fighter one seems really underwhelming compared to the rest, imo. :'] Especially the ranger since repulsor basically sounds like the same thing but better. laugh
Disagree ... i really like Fighter skill, since it helps a lot with High-grounded enemies. :P
There is little conection with class intself sadly, but in this particular example i dont mind it personaly.

Ranger power is really, cool ... as long as you play meele ranger, for ranged one i never find any use for it so far. frown
I would like to see something a little more ranged for Rangers, i dunno ... something like Tar Trap(AoE dificiult terain), or Tentacled arrow(ensnaring your target) ... something like that. laugh

But Warlock is in my opinion certainly the worse. -_-
I just cant find any connection to class there. O_o
And honestly i cant even find any uses for that skill ... basicaly its "spell slot free misty step", but only to places where someone else is allready standing, so its not exactly interesting for attack, more like pure defensive ... even retreat ability. laugh
It just dont fit well to my idea of Warlock ... o_O
I could imagine some "Dominate mind for one round" or "Force to attack nearest target" ...
What i would like the most would be some kind of "Aberant Eldrich blast" ... wich would altern this single Eldrich blast, to create some kind of weaker Intellect Devourer (since it seem quite OP at full strenght) as your companion, if that attack would kill the target.
That would be AWESOME! Especialy for GOO Warlocks. :3

Wizard one seem odd ...
I mean, not wrong as the other two mentioned, its cool certainly ... but i just feels like it simply take Monk ability and give it to Wizard. :-/ But i like it, kinda. laugh

Cleric, Rogue and Druid is working purrfectly i would say ...
They are fun, they are interesting, and i see them being tied to their classes ... so i hope whatever the next classes gets, will be working as good as them. :3

Now to the topic for a second. laugh
I just must say that i really like virion's speculations ...
Except the Sorcerer one ... since i really dont understand it. laugh

Warlocks and Wizards are the casters who teleport the most so I guess that ties there, but rn with how the spell is constructed I'd rather Misty Step, and later on I'd rather use the Conjuration School ability to switch places with an ally.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
What I want to know is what powers/benefits we get from NOT using the tadpole? For me this is the truly important question wrt the tadpole.

This

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

This

What I am guessing is none for most of the game but it'll have large story consequences?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

This

What I am guessing is none for most of the game but it'll have large story consequences?

I really really really hope we'll have powers and dreams too... You know, like in the old games that gave their names and a part of their success to this one.

But with larger story consequences, ofc smile

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/07/21 04:33 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I believe story consequences was semi-confrimmed allready by some datamining ...
But i never heard about any for those who refuses to use the tadpole. O_o

Maybe only if you count that Ring you can Buy from Omellum?
If you dont use your Tadpole, you get free psyonic protection, and dont have to sacrifice any ability (maybe except that one you get from that potion ... but im not sure if that can be avoided too?)

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

This

I really really really hope we'll have powers and dreams too... You know, like in the old games that gave their names and a part of their success to this one.

But with larger story consequences, ofc smile
+1

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Does anyone know why Wisdom the attribute for using the Tadpole for the unique persuasion chances?

Evil always finds a way.
S
addict
addict
S
First, some changes I would like to see to Larian's systems to provide internal logic/immersion, while also being useful and balanced regardless of melee or ranged style of combat. Besides explaining why these seemingly mundane powers are only used by the players.

Shove: Tadpole kinetic power, melee and ranged. Toggle power, single target (str mod. for melee, dex mod. for ranged), infuses normal physical or magical attacks with knockback. Once per short rest (double kb range for Eldritch Blast+Repelling Blast).

Weapon dipping: Tadpole pyrokinetic power. Toggle power. One round/level, once per short rest.

Ranger: Larian's exceedingly uninspired homebrew already made the Ranger Knight, a strength based melee Ranger, arguably the strongest choice and this further favors melee over ranged (along with the likes of Jumping and Shove). Stop it already, balance matters! My suggestion, Psionic Talons: A flock of psionic birds of prey attacks target causing 3d4 dmg, causing confusion that round and blindness that and the next round.

Warlock: *Way* too lackluster for such a situational power! My suggestion, Supernatural Domination: Similar to Dominate Person, target is compelled to attack the closest friendly (enemy of player) with advantage one round once per short rest.

Bard: Siren's Call: Similar to 2nd-lvl Hypnotic Pattern but with sound. Smallish AoE, 1r/lvl duration, no concentration needed. Once per short rest.

Sorcerer: Twisted Magic: Meta-magic Quickened Spell (cast spell + cantrip) for free one round (cost no Sorcery Points+spell will not count against spells allowed to cast). Once per short rest.

Monk: Ki Displacement: As 2nd-lvl Blur. Once per short rest.

Paladin: Sacrificial Aura: Any friendly within aura suffer no damage, Paladin will instead suffer half that damage. If tadpole powers are inherently corrupt, then this may not be appropriate and a more selfish power is called for. Altered Fates: Any injury to Paladin instead becomes a heal for a like (or half) amount. Both toggles once per short rest.

Barbarian: Force Tunnel as per Ranger currently, it is a brutish melee range power and as such a *much* better fit for the Barbarian.

Balance all as needed.

Last edited by Seraphael; 02/07/21 09:56 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard