Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Yes... it is definitely a clever marketing move. And they know they need marketing after all the bad press in the past few months over lack of updates/communication.
Wait, did they get ANY bad press at any point in the past months?

Worst they got, as far as I knew, was a bunch of nobodies like me complaining on their forums.
I have yet to see any gaming press being anything other than flattering toward Larian in the last year or so.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by timebean
I also find it hilarious that we have a whole topic on the forums about communication from the Larian, full of comments about the lack of updates and interactions with the community.
In that same topic channel, people have shared video updates from games like WoTC as examples of treating your community well by keeping them updated with good things like well made videos.

And then, when they announce a big update with a stream to boot…the whinging starts about their choice of venue, use of funds, attempts to attract other types of players (le gasp…how could they???), as well as the dire prediction that they will overhype and underdeliver (CDPR style).
Dunno, it MAY be related to the fact that these same people wanted to see updates about the game and what the devs have to say about the direction the game is moving toward, not a bunch of employees being pushed into public humiliation by their boss for the amusement of a very non-specific target audience.

People posted these "updates about other games" precisely to stress how different (and more effective) their communication about it has been.

Oh well, at very least let's hope this time the production will have any vague resemblance of being done professionally and with some working audio, for a change.
Wonder if we'll get any other "WoTC big shot" introduced as a big guest star only to read a couple of lines from the official manual and then being unceremoniously dismissed off-screen.

Last edited by Tuco; 03/07/21 11:46 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
not a bunch of employees being pushed into public humiliation by their boss for the amusement of a very non-specific target audience.

WOW, that's one hell of an assumption. Pushed into public humiliation? Really?

Could the people who work for Larian be working on an RPG because - gasp! - they like RPGs, and quite a few of them probably enjoy DnD and/or LARP themselves. What you see as "public humiliation" I see as a fun team-building exercise, for people who enjoy games to begin with. I'm sure their boss wouldn't have to look far to find employees who enjoy DnD/LARP and wouldn't mind giving this presentation a try, without having to "push them" into it.

Last edited by Alexandrite; 03/07/21 12:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes, really.

I mean, anyone pushed into LARPing is going to face public humiliation, regardless of how much they may enjoy the experience themselves.

Last edited by Tuco; 03/07/21 12:28 PM.

veteran
veteran
I'd question the intent of attributing personal opinions onto what is humiliating or not in this regard. Sounds a lot like hobby-shaming.

addict
addict
If public humiliation is being paid to participate in an event in an medieval castle with travel paid etc....holy shit just sign me up.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
old hand
old hand
Most bad press is people complaining about a lack of communication and then people complaining about people complaining, very little negative press is about Larian at all.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Most bad press is people complaining about a lack of communication and then people complaining about people complaining, very little negative press is about Larian at all.
That's mostly the buzz among the user base, though.
The press itself has been very friendly to Larian as far I can remember.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hopefully this patch has something to draw me back in. I haven't played in months. Until a couple of weeks ago I'd been playing Solasta. Currently I'm wrapped up in Galactic Civilizations IV, which is in Alpha. I'm having a lot of fun, so this patch better really have a big draw. Like School of Enchantment Wizard, Paladin, Bard, or a new reaction system with the Shield spell. My 2 video game loves, RPGs and 4X TBS. Right now GalCiv4 is winning hands down. I may not play BG3 again until full release.

veteran
veteran
Well hopefully this patch will have something interesting for us to play with. My expectations are very low by now. I really feel like the EA has nothing more to offer and now it's just a very long wait for the full game. I'll probably play it since I already own it, but I'm not super hopeful for it.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

Most bad press is a fraction of a fraction of a large users base, fraction of a fraction somhow convinced that they represent ALL the players even when just a quick analysis on the posts flux in this forum shows that the bigger part is created by a group of few users, complaining in some social platforms about Larian not giving them what they want and convinced that they represent what is going on in the world (were a bunch of players are not obsessed with video games and just use them casually).

Said that I hope that with this patch they start to unlock new areas being one who gets easily annoyed and bored I stopped playing after the third patch because I know all the dialogues, all the routes, all the quests.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Said that I hope that with this patch they start to unlock new areas being one who gets easily annoyed and bored I stopped playing after the third patch because I know all the dialogues, all the routes, all the quests.

That would be my wish as well. I hear many asking for Level 5 but that is of little use. How many encounters are you going to have at that tier? 3? 4? Give me new areas to explore even if I'm a bit underpowered for the fights, I'll figure a way to win even if it means being cheesy with barrels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Most bad press is a fraction of a fraction of a large users base, fraction of a fraction somhow convinced that they represent ALL the players even when just a quick analysis on the posts flux in this forum shows that the bigger part is created by a group of few users, complaining in some social platforms about Larian not giving them what they want and convinced that they represent what is going on in the world (were a bunch of players are not obsessed with video games and just use them casually).
Aside for the vaguely annoying dismissive attitude toward a portion of the community implied in this comment (but it's pretty damn obvious you felt like you had an axe to grind on this topic) that's not even "press" in any sense of the term.

veteran
veteran
Here is some bad press for you guys to get excited over.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...s-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/

Personally I don't think anyone cares what Ars Technica thinks about Video Games. I didn't even KNOW they reviewed games.

Anyway, but yeah, most press has been cautiously optimistic about this game.

The user base discussion is a different story. I think the upcoming Twitch thing will give us some good reactions on what people think.

Blackheifer
M
M
This is not bad press but it does highlight some mechanics people want larian to change in patch 5 (and future patches) https://goombastomp.com/larians-next-big-move-what-the-future-could-hold-for-baldurs-gate-3/

veteran
veteran
I just feel urge to say something about this ...
I feel almost sory for that guy. laugh

When i remember my first gameplay i was also all the time like "wtf?" and "why is this happening?" and he seem almost as lost as i was ...
Now ... seeing all those missed opourtunities, just bcs the was as close minded as i was back then ... unable to think outside his little box ... i simply feel almost sory for him. laugh
Especialy concidering the fact that more than half things he was complaining about was not "bad game desing" as he try to imply ... but reactions for his poor decisions. laugh

The most funny was the one with Illithid who eated his brain ...
The man literally complained a few paragraphs back about how much he didn't like the game pitting us against such powerful creatures as Illithids from the start ... and he wouldn't forget to point out that the average illithid would smudge our gang like a fly.
And then he meets one in the wreckage of a ship, and his only thought is: Hey, let's talk to him! laugh That was pure gold. laugh laugh laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
I will say, those who tend to really bash this game don't play it through enough to realize all the little clues and hints and such all throughout the game. This is a game you can't just play through once to understand it all. You have to play it many times to fully begin to grasp the story as a whole. That's what I love most about it.

I don't like evil playthroughs, but I enjoyed this one because I learned a ton more when I did. That's just one example.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
When i remember my first gameplay i was also all the time like "wtf?" and "why is this happening?" and he seem almost as lost as i was ...
Now ... seeing all those missed opourtunities, just bcs the was as close minded as i was back then ... unable to think outside his little box ... i simply feel almost sory for him. laugh
Especialy concidering the fact that more than half things he was complaining about was not "bad game desing" as he try to imply ... but reactions for his poor decisions. laugh

The most funny was the one with Illithid who eated his brain ...
The man literally complained a few paragraphs back about how much he didn't like the game pitting us against such powerful creatures as Illithids from the start ... and he wouldn't forget to point out that the average illithid would smudge our gang like a fly.
And then he meets one in the wreckage of a ship, and his only thought is: Hey, let's talk to him! laugh That was pure gold. laugh laugh laugh

Exactly this. I love games that demand that you pay attention and think about your choices. Sure, you CAN talk to the Illithid - doesn't mean SHOULD - you can also just walk up and smash it with a weapon. No checks needed on that.

And of course I also have talked to it and I paid the price for it. It was such a good lesson that I wasn't even mad that I got my brain et and had to reload. I was laughing.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
I will say, those who tend to really bash this game don't play it through enough to realize all the little clues and hints and such all throughout the game. This is a game you can't just play through once to understand it all. You have to play it many times to fully begin to grasp the story as a whole. That's what I love most about it.

I don't like evil playthroughs, but I enjoyed this one because I learned a ton more when I did. That's just one example.

Yeah I am at hundreds of hours and I am still finding new stuff and making new realizations. A single 30 hour playthrough even won't cut it. The level of detail and options is staggering. Criticism of the gameplay systems aside this game is a work of Art to me.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
And of course I also have talked to it and I paid the price for it. It was such a good lesson that I wasn't even mad that I got my brain et and had to reload. I was laughing.
Fun fact:
As far as i know (i didnt try yet ... but will after patch) you should be totally able to save yourself even if you choose to talk with Illithid ...
And maye even if you decide to try diceroll, and fail it. laugh
All you need to do is fast switch to another party member, and simply kill the illithid before it kills you. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
I am very excited for the new patch! Thanks for EA I truly appreciate that! I can't wait to see what's being added smile Been wanting to play but was waiting for a new patch laugh

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard