Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I currently don't mind this exploit in some situations (like the Githanki Bridge fight). Because if you did that normally, without set up at lvl 3 or 4 you essentially get slaughtered without using some sort of edge using a "normal" character make up.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
To me, this falls clearly under the category of "thing you can not do if you don't want to", unlike a lot of the more troublesome mechanics. In addition, it doesn't look like it would be something which has an easy "fix" which is also not more obnoxious than leaving it alone.

There's no DM, the game would need programming to decide what to do if players start moving around while someone is in dialogue, and it would be tricky to write code for the game's "director AI" to decide what the player is doing and what reaction is suitable for that.

G
addict
addict
G
One low-hanging fruit fix would be to have NPCs in dialog continue to make perception checks in real-time and interrupt that dialog if something alarming is happening (e.g. if they notice someone trying to sneak up behind them or stealing from them or other situation-appropriate behaviors). You wouldn't need to put everyone into turn-based mode, but NPCs wouldn't be totally de-clawed by having one party member start a conversation and just not respond.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aazo
I currently don't mind this exploit in some situations (like the Githanki Bridge fight). Because if you did that normally, without set up at lvl 3 or 4 you essentially get slaughtered without using some sort of edge using a "normal" character make up.
Generally speaking I think this should be used more as an argument against a specific encounter design than in favor of exploiting it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinion about an intended exploit in the game : freeze the world through dialogs with a character and doing things with your other characters.

To be sure you'll understand what I mean, here is an
exemple.

- when you enter the blighted village, one of your character talk with a goblin.

If you select any other character you can move while the whole goblins group + your character doesn't react.
This allow you to take good positions while everyone is frozen. The other goblins never become hostile even if you enter the village.

There are plenty of situations where you can littereraly exploit this system.

What do you think about it ?

I personnaly find this totally gamey and immersion breaking.
It increase the feeling of a world that is frozen, it devalue the appeal of dialogs and their consequences, it increase the feeling of individual characters that doesn't act like a party... well, it just make no sense.

Shouldn't we have a timer to answer ?
Shouldn't in this exemple the other goblins attack if my characters enter the village before the dialogs end ?

Shouldn't it eventually be possible only if the other characters are unseen ? (hidden in exemple).

Yet again, exactly like DOS2. I hate it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Isn't it the same technique which tiefling kids in the Grove use to pickpocket you, while trying to sell you a "lucky" ring? I remember there is (was) a Perception check there, but I was never able to succeed it.

The mechanic is clearly intentional, yeah. One of Mr. Larian' lovely little playthings.

veteran
veteran
I suceed once ...
You will notice that your things were stolen, but that is it ... kids are too good, for your character to chatch them while stealing. frown

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
old hand
old hand
I never even knew, that was possible. In case of the goblins in the Blighted Village, you can just use the secret passage near Scratches location to surprise them and have an easy fight.
I agree, that this shouldn't be possible. I think, it's OK, to distract a merchant (but even then, they should be allowed to role perception with disadvantage).
But to cross nearly a whole village and attack without provoking an attack, is just stupid. As a DM, I wouldn't allow that in game (maybe one sneaky character, but not a whole group).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
nice to see the classic Baldurs Gate 1+2 exploit of clicking to talk then immediately cancelling to attack, keeping enemies non-hostile while you kill them, brought into Baldurs Gate 3 in an new and updated form. This is respectful to the source material.

old hand
Online Content
old hand
And people complain about how un-alike the two games are

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
nice to see the classic Baldurs Gate 1+2 exploit of clicking to talk then immediately cancelling to attack, keeping enemies non-hostile while you kill them, brought into Baldurs Gate 3 in an new and updated form. This is respectful to the source material.

I played hundreds of hours of the old games and I never knew it was possible.

You know, bug exploit >< exploit button

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/07/21 08:22 PM.
V
V
Well this does sound very similar to BG2 where you would position yourself beforehand when you knew a dialogue encounter could end with combat. Also do not forget that you could just blindly fire fireballs into the fig of war to kill enemy groups outside of dialogue initiation.
Might or might not be by design, and can be seen as an exploit, but I do not think it is more than a minor issue and at least avoidable by the player.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard