Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Great summary! smile

Here are my initial thoughts:

New UI for Ability Checks during cutscenes:
Yay! Really looking forward to using spells in conversations!

Background goals:
Great to have something connected to backgrounds, but I will have to wait and see what these are.

Camp setting now matches the place where you sleep:
The previous camp was fine with me, but I know many disliked it. Hopefully this will be a big improvement for them!

Rest system : new mechanism, resource management:
I hate resource management, so I will have to see how annoying this is.

Jump and Disengage:
Fine with me.

Concentration can now be stopped:
Yay!

New combat actions:
Sounds good.

Visual effects for spells:
Yay! rpg007

addict
addict
Everything that was announced sounds good. The UI roll stuff looks especially good. Hopefully like in say Solasta the resource stuff will be difficulty-optional, but I like that they have included it.

Really does feel like a lot of issues have been directly addressed (jump hotkey lol), and it makes me positive that other mechanics stuff will be addressed.

I especially like any additional roleplay stuff so the Backgrounds stuff is exciting.

Edit: I should also say that the mention of "nested tooltips" is really good - the tooltips were imo lacking so this is a really welcome thing.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 08/07/21 11:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hopefully they will give me a choice in the options to disable the resource management!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Hopefully they will give me a choice in the options to disable the resource management!

It looks from the video like there's an "auto manage" one click button instead of having to choose exactly how many cheese wheels you use each time.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
and me too.not everyone likes this style of play:(

veteran
veteran
I understand that many people don't like resource management. However, to put it simply, Dungeons & Dragons gameplay is built around resource management.

old hand
old hand
Ick. The long resting resource management is the only thing I'm not looking forward to. Time to start magicking up cheese wheels from the cheat-o-sphere!

old hand
old hand
The resource management is PHENOMENAL. Finally people can't just spam long rests all the damn time with impunity! It's almost as if people now have to *gasp* be a bit strategic about their resources! =)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Finally people can't just spam long rests all the damn time with impunity! It's almost as if people now have to *gasp* be a bit strategic about their resources! =)

continues magicking up cheese wheels

Impunity is delicious with ham and a couple slices of bread, it turns out.

D
addict
Online Content
addict
D
I am definitely in favor of the additional resource management. I expect an option to disable that eventually, but I will bet that for the next patch at least we will all have to use it.

FYI Warlock is a good caster choice if you are less of a fan of the resource management, since you get spells back on a short rest. Monk (when implemented) also regains resources on short rest.

addict
addict
Some good changes. AAAR, was really hoping for that mouse selection UI change though (no toilet chains)...
People play an hardcore RPG and dont want resource management...give me a break, this defines the genre lol! Go play a tell tale game then. Actually, BG3 should have a telltale mode for these people; Im sure half of the BG3 player base would be ecstatic.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 09/07/21 12:04 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I understand that many people don't like resource management. However, to put it simply, Dungeons & Dragons gameplay is built around resource management.
yes, but not all who will play bg3 are experts in d & d. and not everyone needs this feature. If you think about it, you need resources in d & d and for spells. I played some old games where you had to feed the character. I remember it annoyed.

stranger
stranger
New member. Hi all.

While I like most of the patch, the new resting mechanics have me curious and worried.

1. OK, so we can technically camp in multiple places. But what about our Camp Chests? We get to send extra stuff to them while traveling, which is fine, but for myself, that's where I store my sellables. Then I have a "Market day" where I swap stuff out to go to the merchant and sell stuff. Will the chests show up in the other camps? If not, then why (save for immersion) would we use them? And will there be some sort of inconvenience incurred if we just choose to always use the 'main camp'?

2. While I understand having a mechanic to help keep people from spamming long rests...the Food mechanic frustrates me. I don't know about the rest of you, but in my solo game (I'm on my first one - don't judge) I am finding very few food items. It was one thing when they were just an extra healing resource...but when they start being the currency for being able to recover, then things get kind of scary. In addition the price is supposed to go up as we level?

And in my multiplayer game, not everybody likes to share. And the food isn't exactly super plentiful in that one either. Making food necessary to recovery might actually cause some players to be less likely to share.

It's one thing to add the mechanic, but I honestly wonder if I'm going to have to have days where my main focus is searching for food. This isn't a survival game. we won't be growing crops... I just hope Larian adjusts the food drop rate in the RNG.

Evil thrives when good men do nothing.
old hand
old hand
Ah, I just read elsewhere that long resting won't be impossible without resources, it'll just be less effective to some degree. If that's true, I don't mind the change so much, I can roll with it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Ah, I just read elsewhere that long resting won't be impossible without resources, it'll just be less effective to some degree. If that's true, I don't mind the change so much, I can roll with it.

Right now we don't have a choice of difficulty yet, but I think number of necessary resources on easy difficulty will be significantly reduced. As for food, if you like to collect loot, then there is really a lot of it in the game, another thing is that I eat it more often... instead of potions. :<

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyloth
As for food, if you like to collect loot, then there is really a lot of it in the game, another thing is that I eat it more often... instead of potions. :<

I decorate my camp with it.

Obviously I'm playing this game completely, totally wrong. Having a blast, though.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by middle tab
Originally Posted by Stabbey
yes, but not all who will play bg3 are experts in d & d. and not everyone needs this feature. If you think about it, you need resources in d & d and for spells. I played some old games where you had to feed the character. I remember it annoyed.
I see three ways to alleviate it.
-Tie amount to difficulty-lower difficulties require very little, if any, resources
-Add a merchant with unlimited food, to drain cash a little.
-Make it a toggle option

We'll see how things go with the patch (it definitely looks significant!) but we'll have to just see how it goes for now.

Last edited by Some_Twerp753; 09/07/21 01:11 AM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Who gives about dnd tabletop.

No matter what it seems in current days video games are not the kingdom of nerds like my self that lost themselves in the manuals of some tabletop role play game (in my case it was the White Wolf rpg, I bought an immense amount of manuals of that game).

With the diffusion of smartphones and tablets videogames use has become widespread to a lot of casual players. So much that almost all games, specially in those platforms, are pay for win, same evolution we have seen in MMORPG when they left the subscription based system to the free to play.

As usual in these days of social media what has passed is not what really is going on with the mass of players but but the loudly mess made by a fraction of players who can create a massive amount of trafic.

Thirteen community updates, five patches and still we are stuck in the first act and there is not even an hypothesis of a probable time of release of the full game, even if the request for new material is one of the arguments, saddly not brought on by the trafic overlords that complain about the cheesy game that allows (but DOESN'T FORCE) long rests after any battle [don't think is right? don't use it], but by people interested not in a set of rules that any player knows in the LARP and Tabletop can be bended, twisted, ignored by the dungeon master (a good example is NPC and DnD by vive la dirt league in wich is obvious how the master, a professional narrator, bend the rules to allow a funny narrative, to mantain in life B.O.B, to avoid bottle necks due to the unruliness of the players).

This way the loud complainers (who are gonna complain, pretty sure the next issue will be the fact that there are too many objects in the world too lot thus people can still use long rest as exploit to make a cheesy game run, and that the inspiration minigames too would be used as exploits to make cheesy game runs) will be sedated on one side while fueled with new material to argument against thus creating traffic and rumor and smoke that will hide the fact that there is no projection of a date of release and that we are still stuck on act one.

Moreover the choices made by Larian show that they're not focused on create a really immersive system that is get rid of the static difficulty system with fixed choices made by the company and to create a flexible one that allows in this case the player to make choices on what kind of "exploits" they want to use. In this case it would mean to allow gamers to choice if they want to use, other than the usual debuff in monsters and doped xp growth, things like barrels, height/backstage vantage, open/restriscted access to long rests, density of lootable objects in the world].

With Divinity II in the long run they were pushed to create a system that let the player choose exploits able to make it easier even the explorer mode (for example the chance to have perpetualy on the source vision, the chance to replenish source points with a rest, and so on).

Obviously thoseoptions have to come with a price that is the inability to get some or all trophies and achievement tags.

Another reason why the "dnd rules stat that" is flawed is because in tabletop rpg there is a sense of the time used by the players, the master can decide that a quest is botched because the players lost time bickering about unrelated issues, the master can also decide ways to force the players to move so that the time table is respected, for example in NPC and DnD the master evoches a dragon everytime the players start loosing too much time in their antics.

In ANY video game time is a farce. Some games are quite open about it (I think the DOS, Outer planets, BG3), while some other are more subtle (Elder Scrolls Online).

To lament about the chance (again is your choice as a player to ignore the rules that to you are, allegedly, so sacred, it's up to you to decide how many times to use the long rest and if to exploit it, if my memory doesn't play games with me there is a thread from a player that went solo, or at max with one companion, and decided not to use long rests, if you decide to ignore the rules it's your fault not a problem of the game) to exploit long rests because they don't follow the tabletop rules, even when the game, tha is supposed to a role playing one, opens a windows that clearly allerts that you're going to the camp to sleep thus ending a day and starting a new one [but evidently for some people the concept of role playing means to blindly apply the rules of the tabletop game and to ignore the things that clearly show that the "two short rests one long rest per die are followed] when the game is crearly cristallized: no matter how many days you spent exploring and completing quests the reptiloid patrol will be at the edge of the map, no matter if you pass all your time looting from the environment the quests will wait your arrive, storytriggering encouters will always happen in the same way.

All the "DnD rules" is just a farce made by "profesional players" and complainers that just want to scratch an itch.

So now resources are compulsive for long rests (and again I bet my money in a follow up of complains on how easy is to find resources) but still time is cristallized. That is "dnd rules" people just f***d up the game for us player that use video games to relax, or approach them in a casual way, without having even really make really immersive the game and with the big issues, that is lack of new content, lack of a timetable for the development of the game, lack of projections on the release data, the inverosimility, obviously ignored by the dnd rules armada, of quests without a time limit.

But hey now we have to use resources to camp so now we now that time is passing.

If this is the way BG3 is going to be developped I'll abbandon it and wait to the moment the company will be pushed to release dlc that allow to exploit that same things that now they are eliminating. All games on the long run had to do that it will be no different for BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexandrite

It looks from the video like there's an "auto manage" one click button instead of having to choose exactly how many cheese wheels you use each time.

That's strictly for those non-rp amateur's - just imagine the horrid gastronomical combinations that may result in? Chicken and RED wine?! Fish and Fruit?! I could end up eating potatoes and cheese like some sort of back-woods commoner!

No no no! Not only must my rests include the food requirement, they must be properly planned meals including libations, candles, cutlery and plates!

I say good day sir!

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
That huge post reads like an oddly emotional rant. I'm not even sure what point you're trying to get across. You're ranting about casuals and rules while lamenting a change made for higher difficulty and consistency? And something about the concept of time management when the actual adjustment doesn't really have anything to do with that, when the plot has already firmly established that time isn't exactly an issue since the tadpoles are very different in some way.

All that aside, it's amusing for once to see the other faction threatening to cancel this game over a perceived slight in design direction. The shoe is the same no matter what foot it's on.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/07/21 01:22 AM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard