Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2020
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Oct 2020
Would be nice to have some sort of safety option to not accidently cast damage spells on own team members.

I wounded accidently my main char because he was in front of the enemy and my mouse moved a little bit a split second before i clicked.
Which can be fatal ofc.
Sure that was my fault but stuff like this could happen in the heat of battle wink

I would suggest you need to Ctrl+Click or something like that to be able to cast a damage (or negative effect spell or any other sort of attack) on your own party member.

Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
Yeah I accidentally killed the characters my husband was controlling, before I worked out that friendly fire is a thing in this game! Whoops!

But yeah, friendly fire is a thing in this game. As you say, things can happen in the heat of battle.
Would be nice to have a toggle for this.

Joined: Nov 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Nov 2020
Friendly Fire is kinda a big thing in 5e, to where Evocation Wizard and Careful metamagic are both considered super powerful for ignoring friendly fire. Personally this is one of those things where I think it doesn't need a toggle BUT it should be explained clearly or added to the tutorial in some way?

Joined: Aug 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Aug 2020
Yeah, a clear explanation early on would definitely be a good idea. I also think that this is yet another reason they need to improve on making the UI less finnicky and easy to fumble.

Joined: Oct 2017
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2017
"Look out! There is friendly fire in this game and anyone you clicked on will become target. So make sure you READ the descriptions and DON'T MISCLICK."

On the other hand, if they implement a "click through" feature, e.g. CTRL+Click, then a clear mention of that somewhere - loading screen, tutorial menu - would be nice.


"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2021
Location: Australia
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
it should be explained clearly or added to the tutorial in some way?

Yes this would be good! Many other games DON'T have friendly fire, so people who don't know anything about DnD 5e (like me!) but know other games, won't be quite so shocked and surprised the first time they kill their own party.

Then again, in my first ever battle as a Combat Archer in the SCA, I managed to kill my own Queen by accident... WHOOPS... how's that for friendly fire... smile

Last edited by Alexandrite; 13/07/21 08:30 AM.
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
Yeah I accidentally killed the characters my husband was controlling, before I worked out that friendly fire is a thing in this game! Whoops!

But yeah, friendly fire is a thing in this game. As you say, things can happen in the heat of battle.
Would be nice to have a toggle for this.

Just tell him Accidents happen, and they will happen less often the more he listens to you. :P


Blackheifer
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
The thing is certain spells in D&D are kept at bay regarding their power precisely because of friendly fire being a thing. But yeah, I guess should be part of the tutorial so people new to D&D don't have to learn it the hardway wink


Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Joined: Nov 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Nov 2020
Could also be more clear with the outlines of spells I think, more clearly outlining who in particular will be hit? Allies glowing gree and enemies red if the spell will hit them? Just throwing an idea I've seen in another game out there.
And yeah, Friendly Fire us actually important enough in how it keeps things in check so one doesn't always blindly fireball or explode powerful aoes. That and being able to hit an ally can be a way to break a charm or waken them at a range or other weird situations.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Friendly Fire is kinda a big thing in 5e
"It's kinda a big thing" in any tactical game where positioning matter. Imagine playing an XCOM where you can use explosive with complete disregard of where your men are placed during the battle.

And there's a reasons if spells that target only enemies and spells that target everyone in a given area are balanced differently, since it's an explicit trade-off.

It's always vague baffling to see people who want to play tactical games with FF disabled, frankly.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/07/21 11:14 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Oct 2020
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Oct 2020
I think you misunderstood,
the thing im complaining about, or i suggest to do some opimization is not the fact that you have friendly fire, thats the funny part if you have to decide if those spell is worth the collateral damage.
Its the fact that its a bitte fiddly to select your target and therefore you can easily select the wrong target in my case the own party member.

So i dont want to disable FF i want to make it a decicion in that case not an accident.

For that reason i suggested the Ctrl+Click thing which is in line with the current combos since you have to click this to destroy "world objects" as they call them.

But anyways if Larian has a better idea to overcome this im fine with it.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Mörtötö
I think you misunderstood
I wasn't addressing your post specifically.

About your specific request: XCOM 2 for instance gives the player a pop-up asking for confirmation if the selected area of effect for an ability involves some friendly fire.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/07/21 12:08 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Aug 2014
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2014
Of course the flipside of the coin is that there is friendly healing too. I haven´t tried it, but if I understand correctly you should be able to heal multiple members of your crew if you throw a healing potion between them when they are huddled close together.

Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Ikke
Of course the flipside of the coin is that there is friendly healing too. I haven´t tried it, but if I understand correctly you should be able to heal multiple members of your crew if you throw a healing potion between them when they are huddled close together.

No, BUT you can heal two people in a single round of combat with healing potions.

You place a healing potion next to each person, then you make sure you have a weapon in each hand. Then you hit the first healing potion with your main hand attack and hit the second with your offhand attack. This ENORMOUS exploit allows you to get two downed players back on their feet in 1 combat round.

Honestly someone should fix it.


Blackheifer
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Ikke
Of course the flipside of the coin is that there is friendly healing too. I haven´t tried it, but if I understand correctly you should be able to heal multiple members of your crew if you throw a healing potion between them when they are huddled close together.

No, BUT you can heal two people in a single round of combat with healing potions.

You place a healing potion next to each person, then you make sure you have a weapon in each hand. Then you hit the first healing potion with your main hand attack and hit the second with your offhand attack. This ENORMOUS exploit allows you to get two downed players back on their feet in 1 combat round.

Honestly someone should fix it.
Is this meant to be sarcasm?
I'm all for fixing exploits when identified, but this is not exactly the most intuitive and practical thing to abuse at any given moment.


Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Jul 2021
W
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
W
Joined: Jul 2021
Yeah, it's a bit too easy to just make a micromovement with your mouse, and zap your frontliner in the behind instead of the enemy. I like OP's idea about having to press Ctrl or something. I would actually like that implemented for attacking the ground too. I don't know how many times i was about to attack the enemy, then to change my mind and try to look for a better spot, only to shoot an arrow right into the ground. smile

Joined: Jan 2021
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jan 2021
See... when I shoot an arrow into the ground, or into a party member, I just tell myself I rolled a critical fail and go on... As for the collateral damage friendly fire, it can be very useful at times. If you have a character that can take the damage and has that necklace of elemental whatever then the fire you just hit them with will let them hit their targets with added fire. Or... just last night... I had a problem where the gobbos at the gate were not killing Wyll. So, I had to do it. Since I didn't want to just focus all my efforts on killing him, I primarily selected AoE spells and items to allow me to kill him and the nearby goblins. If they turned off FF, then I fear I would be unable to kill any of the built in NPCs because they'd be force-put into my party whether I wanted them or not.

Joined: Oct 2020
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Oct 2020
For that reason i dont ask for turning FF off, but i want to make the decicion and not so much by accidently moving the cursor 1 pixel.

Joined: Jul 2021
W
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
W
Joined: Jul 2021
But i already get critical fails by rolling the dice, i don't need my crippling nerve damage in my hand give me even more fails. And nobody is asking them to remove FF, that is something completely different from this topic.

Last edited by williams85; 13/07/21 01:44 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Mörtötö
For that reason i dont ask for turning FF off, but i want to make the decicion and not so much by accidently moving the cursor 1 pixel.

We talk about FF being necessary cause someone mentioned FF should be optional.
But what you said as OP is kinda obviously a change for the better. Good idea smile


Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5