Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
veteran
veteran
Serious question: Did anyone managed to find in game that Tiefling vs. Druid duel?
Or was that just short cinematic created specialy for Patch presentation?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/07/21 06:17 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Serious question: Did anyone managed to find in game that Tiefling vs. Druid duel?
Or was that just short cinematic created specialy for Patch presentation?
Yes you can have that ingame cinematic when you do following in Spoiler.

You have to Attack the Druids who are casting the ThornRitual or Steal the Idol. Theres probably several triggers when you are evil vs Druid Grove in favor of the Teeiflings, i guess.

veteran
veteran
Cool, thank you. smile

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
N
stranger
stranger
N
Absolutely great update, I've had several negative reviews of Baldur's Gate 3 due to it being unsatisfactory despite being in it's early stages. I feared for this game's future and how the companions were extremely unlikable - after recently completing three playthroughs on patch 5 alone, I can see so much has changed. I can see and feel that Larian is listening, this game's shape is still amorphous but the skeleton is being completed and flesh is growing. It's become tremendously better and it is evident Larian takes seriously feedback from the fanbase - as of this moment I have changed all my reviews across the platforms from Negative to Positive. I sincerely hope this keeps up - I appreciate you, Larian, thank you.

I would like to add another thing, I don't know if this is planned or not or what exactly is the cause it hasn't been implemented yet but I do hope the Assassin archetype for Rogue is planned to be implemented soon, it is by far the most chosen archetype for rogues and is pivotal in a rogue's playstyle. As a rogue for life this thing can make a break a game for me. Thanks for everything, Larian. I highly anticipate to see what you'll be throwing at us next.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Netharias
Absolutely great update, I've had several negative reviews of Baldur's Gate 3 due to it being unsatisfactory despite being in it's early stages. I feared for this game's future and how the companions were extremely unlikable - after recently completing three playthroughs on patch 5 alone, I can see so much has changed. I can see and feel that Larian is listening, this game's shape is still amorphous but the skeleton is being completed and flesh is growing. It's become tremendously better and it is evident Larian takes seriously feedback from the fanbase - as of this moment I have changed all my reviews across the platforms from Negative to Positive. I sincerely hope this keeps up - I appreciate you, Larian, thank you.

I would like to add another thing, I don't know if this is planned or not or what exactly is the cause it hasn't been implemented yet but I do hope the Assassin archetype for Rogue is planned to be implemented soon, it is by far the most chosen archetype for rogues and is pivotal in a rogue's playstyle. As a rogue for life this thing can make a break a game for me. Thanks for everything, Larian. I highly anticipate to see what you'll be throwing at us next.

In reference to the EA, it always has baffled me why people would purport to "review" a game which is a long way from shipping, even now. At best, the EA will encompass chapter 1 and we won't even see Baldur's Gate until the full game ships (where the meat & potatoes of the game will be served)--so it's much like the EA is a plate of Hors D'oeuvres before the main course is served (when the full game ships)...;) There is no way to review the "game" for the obvious reason that the game hasn't yet shipped...;) I mean, that's how it has always seemed to me. So, it isn't terribly surprising to see that you have changed your opinion as the EA matures and continues to build the story and the characters. I've never expected anything apart from that.

I'm sure there are many game elements which will appear in the EA that Larian had planned for sometime that are only now making their way into the EA portion of the game, because of priorities in coding and other developmental aspects involved in making a AAA game like this. There are many things some of us want to see--things we've commented on--that no doubt overlap with plans already made by the Larian devs, and so on. I agree that Larian is listening to our comments as I've seen a number of small changes made to reflect some ideas that I (and others) may have commented on here and there. But as to whether any of these things constitutes a change in direction for Larian in the development of the game, or whether these changes were always planned, I cannot say! I don't know and cannot really make a declarative statement about that aspect of the game's development. I guess my summation here is only to say that reaching conclusions during the EA period about the entire game is probably not a good idea...;)

Anyway, I share your opinion and think the game is shaping up nicely! If it continues apace, they will undoubtedly lock up GOY for 2022--and who knows how long thereafter.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
The change to requiring to buy food made me personally not want to replay through at all this patch. Combined with removing 2 backgrounds just so you can add an exp bonus for other backgrounds to me those 2 things feel like a step back.

I also personally preferred the camp progressing over time and building up over one that changed enviroments based on where you were located changes added in patch 5 IMO in some cases were negative as oppose to positive so I will not play it during this patch at all. Current play time patch 5 0 hours 0 minutes will not reach one minute before patch 6 at least currently. For most part dissappointed with the direction of patch 5. I had a few dozen people ask me if it was worth going back to play in patch 5 responded to the same thing to all of them its not worth your time changes are not significant enough to warrent a new playthrough some of them actually negatively impact a multiple playthrough experience. As farming food so you can camp is not a positive thing. Its like adding mmo farming to a single player game which regardless of what anyone says is down right stupid. Way better ways to impliment a mechanic like this in a more positive way. Such as a random encounter chance at least then you would be getting something for it instead of wasting time doing something that is more annoying than fun. Or make you be in locations. The food mechanic overall makes me lower my rating of the game should it be kept for live release than what I would have given it before.

Overall I think this patch had as many negative things added as positive things added which is not a good thing.

veteran
veteran
I just don't understand why so many are opposed to camp supplies. They even put in an Auto Select feature so the game selects the food for you that you need to long rest

The most annoying aspect about food is item management. That is the issue now with food supplies. If they made item management better, which they need to do regardless, food for camping would literally be a push of a button and boom, the game auto selects what food you use to long rest.

But, for those of us who enjoy using food for something besides selling them or whatever, it provides us with the option to choose what foods will he for the party's meal for the day. I now have the option to pick fish and cheese and wine...whatever, for more immersion.

And the main camp DOES progress still. That hasn't changed. All that has changed is that you can now camp in newer environments. Wanna still go back to the original? Long rest at Silvanus Grove waypoint, or Blighted Village, or anywhere in tje forest.

And its EA. They haven't permanently removed those backgrounds. They'll be back.

And one final question, why are you so quick to pass judgment without even trying it? You said 0 minutes playing Patch 5 but you're telling people it's not worth it.

There were HUGE significant changes, and almost all were great. New dialogues, combat mechanics, inspiration system, spells able to aid dice rolls, passive mode mechanics, the list goes on.

Try it. Then your feedback is credible.

Last edited by GM4Him; 01/08/21 04:09 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah Camp is like real life an annoying thing.
Camping is doing everything alone and it is a less comfortable holiday life then just going into kitchen to your fridge filled with all sorts of tasty food.
So to make camp enjoyable, we need a fridge in the game which makes eating not a tedious timewaster.

Thereby quick solution is to have all food found automaticly send by Baldurian Amxxxx.xom to your fridge/campchest and then its conveniently usable before we go to sleep.
No more hustle sorting every food and sending around one piece after another.
Let it be an easy task like minigame where i can sort my food only for the dinner i decide to eat before sleep.
Just in real life, ...almost.

And of course more stackable items pls.
So many items not stacking makes everything cluttering my sight.
Constantly filtering and searching for items is no fun and timeconsuming.

Last edited by TheHero; 01/08/21 07:29 AM.
veteran
veteran
But again, it's item management, not camp supplies. It's just as much a pain to sort items to sell to the vendor. I'm wasting so much time trying to mess with items in my inventory to play the balancing act so no one is encumbered and so I can sell items.

We must get something like Multi Select. Select All Food. Send To Camp. Done. Select All Armor Send To Camp. Done. Camp Inventory. Select All Armor. Sell. Done.

None of this is really camp supplies. Camp supplies only makes this issue seem worse because now food is necessary to rest.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And the most important thing for all games developed in future.
ALLWAYS have two UIs for the M/K users and one for the Controller Guys to chose from in the options menu.
The mix and usability of one UI which works with both is allways a bad compromise.
It reduces M/K users to use UI like Controllerguys have to use and think in that way how to manipulate and manage items.

Its a shitty way of making an interface.
It does not respect the choice we do make when wanting to play M/K and have all the usability for that.
A UI working for both and have allways the best usability included for both has yet to be invented/developed.
All that clicking and one item per time usage is coming from controller usage.
Its really no good and slow and cumbersome and everything else i hate about controller User interfaces.

Its not about what kind of Hardweare i chose from options menu, its the whole interface which needs to be prepped for that choice i do make.
A fully usable M/K UI for M/K users. and Controller with their optimized UI for their Controllers.
A mix of both as allready said is a weird slow compromise.
NO good.

Last edited by TheHero; 01/08/21 09:46 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I just don't understand why so many are opposed to camp supplies. They even put in an Auto Select feature so the game selects the food for you that you need to long rest

The most annoying aspect about food is item management. That is the issue now with food supplies. If they made item management better, which they need to do regardless, food for camping would literally be a push of a button and boom, the game auto selects what food you use to long rest.
This is my beef; I'd like a "Send food to camp" inventory option, and when you long rest to have the camp chest checked for food. As it is, I have to send every bit of food to the camp, one at a time, and I have to grab it out of storage.

I wonder about booze having a food value though-perhaps instead it gives a bonus when you rest, wether that's a buff until the next long rest, or a simple multiplier to existing food or something.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
I wonder about booze having a food value though-perhaps instead it gives a bonus when you rest, wether that's a buff until the next long rest, or a simple multiplier to existing food or something.

You must remember that beer has food value, but food has no beer value.....

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Originally Posted by GM4Him

This is my beef; I'd like a "Send food to camp" inventory option, and when you long rest to have the camp chest checked for food. As it is, I have to send every bit of food to the camp, one at a time, and I have to grab it out of storage.

I wonder about booze having a food value though-perhaps instead it gives a bonus when you rest, whether that's a buff until the next long rest, or a simple multiplier to existing food or something.

Right. Your beef isn't the food system. It's the Inventory Management system which I also have a beef with (hah! Beef! It's a pun right?) :p

But yes. I think they should have one group Camp Inventory for Food and one for items they want to send to camp to later sell. Then, when you do Long Rest, the game takes into account the food items you have In Camp AND the items you are still carrying on you if you have any on you at all. Honestly, a party of characters would not carry the food around on them if they had a base camp unless they weren't able to get back to camp at any point during the day to drop it off. So the only time you should even have food items on you is if you are stuck in a dungeon or something and unable to get to the camp. Basically, if the game allows me to Fast Travel to Camp, I should be able to simply Send All Food To Camp with a click of a button or have it just Auto-Send To Camp.

This said, I think food should be a Short Rest Mechanic also. You get SO much food in the game and it makes sense for characters to eat and drink something when taking a Short Rest. That would also give a player a reason to keep at least some food on their characters as they continue to journey. Makes sense from a real life perspective as well. You might keep some beef jerky on you while traveling, but you'd keep the wine and cheese and such at camp because it's too cumbersome to carry on you while trying to explore an area.

This could also be done with easy mechanics. It wouldn't need to be a clunky mess. A simple Multi-Select button could allow you to open a Camping Supplies Tab, hit Multi-Select, pick all the items you want to Send to Camp, then click Send to Camp. Boom. Done.

Actually, if they did inventory the way I was thinking they could, they could maximize the screen so that you don't have all the tabs.

Inventory Design:

Character 1 at top of the window. Characters 2-6 under. Each Inventory Box is designated as a certain character's inventory by their small picture in the box at the far left. Around the picture, Equip slots. Helmet, Armor, Readied Weapons, Cloaks, Rings, etc. Small Equip Slots around the pic. Nothing big and fancy. To the right of this area of the Character's Inventory box, Basic Stat info so you can see that if you equip a certain weapon or armor you know what the To Hit, Damage, AC, etc. is. Again, doesn't need to be huge font or anything. To the right of that area, the full blown inventory from left to right across the screen. You could make the inventory slots smaller so you can fit more in a single screen. Being across the screen, you wouldn't even need to have more than maybe 4 rows of slots and you'd still get a ton of slots all the way across. Even if your inventory spilled to more slots than what you can see on the screen, each box could receive a side scroll bar. In this way, you could easily fit the entire inventory and equip screens into one screen even for up to 6 characters or more if Larian provided a vertical scrollbar should the player add more characters to the party. Can't see the icons to know what you are looking at because your screen is too small? Hover over the icon and a popup window appears letting you know what the item is, just like they do now. However, maybe the popup window could not hover over the entire inventory dead center so you can't see a God-blessed thing when you're hovering over something. Maybe instead the popup could to to a corner of the screen so you aren't blind.

Where are the buttons for Send To Camp, etc.? They could put them at the top above the first character. You know, like Word or Excel.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by TheHero
And the most important thing for all games developed in future.
ALLWAYS have two UIs for the M/K users and one for the Controller Guys to chose from in the options menu.
The mix and usability of one UI which works with both is allways a bad compromise.
So very true! It goes for other UIs as well: please do not mix UI for touch screens and regular screens, and do not mix UIs for smartphones and PCs.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As Item Management will now have to interact with a number of systems - merchants, camping, item creation, theft and so on, it actually makes sense for Larian to hold off on tossing any substantive changes to it (and it's U/I), until they have a more definitive, final plan for those systems - otherwise they would have to go back and modify Item Management-U/I every time they made a change to any of those systems. Once they are at the point all those systems are mostly resolved, it is much easier to implement an overarching Item Management system. For example, until the current EA build, there would have been no reason to tie food management to camping through item management. Until they add the ability to create potions - and determine what items are needed to do so - there would be no need to tie it to item management.

With all the beakers, astrolabes, crucibles, scales, mortars, pestles and the like we find, I personally wouldn't mind if we could actually USE some of them to outfit a "lab" at some point for such a purpose, use others as ingredients for potions and so on. All this would require further modification to an Item Management system. I WANT to see the rope I find become usable to aid in climbing. If I ever ran an assassin character, I would love to see if I could use one of those damnable forks to "put a fork in a goblin and see if he's done" (but just once - too much of a good thing is never fun).

I might of course be wrong, but it just makes sense to finalize sub-systems like these before trying to finalize the master system that directs/feeds the sub-systems.

I'm working under the assumption that the current "Item Management" and U/I are simply a pre-alpha placeholder, and hopefully we get a solid "alpha" of such Item Management by end of the year.

veteran
veteran
You know, you're probably right, and I agree.

That said, my issue is that people keep knocking the Camp Supplies system, acting like it's the issue and it ruins the game, but it isn't the camping system. It's the item management. If item management was easier, camping would be no big deal.

I like what they did with camping supplies. I want them to keep it and streamline it. I like how if you don't want to be bothered with it much, you can just hit auto select and done. If you do want to pick out the food and be all immersive, you have the ability to do so. Sometimes I care, and pick out the food, and sometimes I don't and just hit select. The first time I played Patch 5, I had them eat fish and garlic and some wine with some fruit for desert. It took barely any effort, and it was, for me, a nice little bit of roleplaying.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ldo58
After patch 4, Shadowheart was lagging some 30 xp behind the other 3 party members.
Now, I see that in p&tch 5 Gale is also lagging. I noticed it by accident when my character and LAe'zel were ready to advance to level 3 and Shadow and Gale not.
So me and Lae'zel have 7XP in LV3
Gale has 587 XP in LV2
Shadow has 577 XP in LV2

Hmmm, it looks less like an issue to me now that I saw a popup message "Gale feels inspired" after I read the spiderman's journals under the waterwell.
And though I didn't check Gale's XP before this happened, he now does have the most XP of all the party, so I think there are personal XP points to be gained through this inspiring thingy.

Last edited by ldo58; 18/08/21 09:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Now first I'd like the thank Larian studios for Fixing the +1 to AC when taking the "Dual Wielder" feat. And also removing consuming food healing as well goes to show that your listening to us.

Now there is a poison in the game that the Icon is the exact same as the Icon for the normal potion of healing, Whose bright Idea was it to do that? Not cool at all. I had to do a reload in the battle by the windmill in the Blighted Village cause Shadowheart drank it by mistake. And the load times are way too long hoping you are able to cut them way down. 3 minutes really? Also in early access are we going to be able to obtain heavy armor like plate or splint armor? Also, can weapons be coated with poison before we come across a battle, or don't it last that long?

Now, what would be the chance of involving Dammon the Blacksmith at the Druid's grove? And in return, he rewards us with either an enchanted weapon or a set of enchanted Armor?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jess Larian
For the GOG peeps - offline installers will be updated shortly.

I'm hoping that someone can answer a few questions for me. Now I was playing through the game and was wonder what stats the Unlock locks and disarm traps are based on? The reason for this is due to the fact that it seems that Shadowheart who is a cleric and not a thief has a better chance of opening locks or disarming traps than even Astarion whose the rogue; and I always thought for things like that the rogue is the best way to go. Also, the disarm tools which I thought were used to disarm traps what good are they? As shadowheart has been disarming traps and didn't have one in her inventory.

The other thing for which I'm wondering has to do with the Armor and weapons. Are we going to get better two-handed weapons that even the Dual wielder can use one in each hand the ones we got now aren't all that exciting just a couple of +1 if we're lucky? Also are we going to be getting any heavy armor in EA as well as for being able to increase to level 5?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
it seems that Shadowheart who is a cleric and not a thief has a better chance of opening locks or disarming traps than even Astarion whose the rogue; and I always thought for things like that the rogue is the best way to go.
Not in 5e, not anymore. Classes are much more malleable, and not so strictly separated. In this case, DEX modifier + Sleight Of Hand proficiency is all that matters (oh, and the Guidance cantrip helps a lot). Since Shadowheart has Urchin background, it gives her the aforementioned proficiency; plus, her Dexterity is so abnormally high for a cleric that it's possible to use her instead of a Rogue (I do). Until / unless Larian will implement proficiency in tools and / or skill expertise, she is essentially on par with Astarion as far as locks and traps are concerned.
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
Also, the disarm tools which I thought were used to disarm traps what good are they? As shadowheart has been disarming traps and didn't have one in her inventory.
In BG3, inventory is... stretchy. She "uses" disarming tools if anyone in the party has them. Same with keys.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard