Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#780948 17/07/21 09:45 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The title says it all. I've encountered the cub and his mother twice now on different playthroughs and I don't know how to get him to my camp. I'm assuming that being able to use speak with animals would open a way for me but the way everyone talks about him, there must be some other way to do it without that.

apprentice
apprentice
You need to speak to him in goblins camp, win the race and ask him to go with you.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
The title says it all. I've encountered the cub and his mother twice now on different playthroughs and I don't know how to get him to my camp. I'm assuming that being able to use speak with animals would open a way for me but the way everyone talks about him, there must be some other way to do it without that.

You can also, talk to the owlbear cub with speak with animals, have him get your scent and then murder all the Goblins and he will show in your camp after you have exterminated them all.

Or yeah...just win the race.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Damn, I've been doing things wrong this entire time them. The only cub I've encountered in my 5-6 playthroughs was the one in the cave whose mother killed that True Soul. I had no idea there was an owlbear in the goblin camp.

In honesty though, I've only actually reached the goblin camp like...twice. I tend to get tired or frustrated before that point a lot more and on both those occasions, I didn't really stick around to explore the place much. I also never got to the place where you can poison the grog or try and steal the goblin's toe ring.

Thank you for revealing that there's way more stuff that I seem to have missed.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Damn, I've been doing things wrong this entire time them. The only cub I've encountered in my 5-6 playthroughs was the one in the cave whose mother killed that True Soul. I had no idea there was an owlbear in the goblin camp.

It's the same owlbear cub. If you kill the mother and leave him alive, he ends up getting caught by the goblins. They take him back to their camp and use him for their "chicken chase" game. You have to win the chicken chase game, and either win some animal handling roles or use speak with animals to get him to know you're on his side. Then when you start killing the goblins, he will run off.

I never did it this way, but I heard you can also denounce chicken chasing as a cruel sport and insist you're taking the cub. Then you'll have to either intimidate or use the illithid power against the goblin female running the game. After winning that you hope the cub will be able to follow your scent to your camp. I just looked it up and saw that the option to denounce chicken chasing only shows up if you go back to the goblin and ask her to explain the rules a second time. That's probably why I never saw that option.

Either way after you kill the goblins in the courtyard, the cub will show up at your camp 2 or 3 nights later. Feed it and it will run off, but then it will come back and hang around.

Also, you don't have to poison their drinks to kill all the goblins in the courtyard, but it does help to cut down their numbers. As well as leave survivors with lower hit points so they are easier to kill. You can also kill the goblins in the center courtyard without triggering the ones on the side, as long as none of your characters runs over to that side. Keep your characters on the side with the chicken chasing course.

old hand
old hand
YOu don't have to do the chicken chasing. Just finish the dialogue with the gobbo woman, that offered it and then wait, until the cub is running by you and try talking with him. You don't have to use Speak with Animals, but then, you have to roll a high animal handling check.
And you don't have to kill teh mother. You just have to encounter her, can calm her down with animal handling and she shows you the cub. You only have to see the cub officially before entering the goblin village. If you haven't killed the mother, it is implied that she was killed by goblins.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
addict
addict
T
Do you have to kill the mother to get the cub in your camp?

Link Copied to Clipboard