Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cerbir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
What follows is a breakdown of the stories of each companion boiled down to a sentence in no particular order.
Because pretty much everyone here can be described with 100% accuracy in one sentence.

Companions.

Gale : Is a wizard that did something stupid and now has wizard problems.
Shadowheart : Has a mysterious backstory and a box, don't ask about it.
Astarion : Just got out of a really abusive relationship and has vampire problems.
Wyll : Is a charismatic fraud that plays hero and has warlock problems.
Lae'zel : Just wants to be told she's a very good girl by her queen so she can go and butcher things with a dragon.

The protagonist?

Tav : Is an eldritch loot gremlin who has absolute control over everything and is going to relive all of these stories indefinitely until such time as it has slept with/murdered all of the things.

The side characters.

Minthara : Is evil but and generates 50% of the thirst in this game.
Halsin : Is a druid and generates the other 50% of the thirst in this game.
A whole lot of tieflings : They are either refugees with refugee problems or just on the run from some thing or another.
Goblins, lots of goblins Found a new god and it's going about as well for everyone as you'd expect.
Volo : Is older than he looks and completely full of bologna, keep him away from your eyes....
Auntie Ethel : Is older than she looks and probably cooks children in a cauldron when she doesn't have them raw.
The tadpole : @#&*#@ %^ *&^ #$%^@#5% "?_+ =&% &($@ <@$
The one from your dreams : Is either out to kill you or completely on your side.
And all of the stuff in the underdark: not really worth coloring or mentioning really.

"Everyone is the hero of their own story."
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Is this suggestion or feedback? O_o

Cool colors tho, but i have no idea what are you trying to say. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Cerbir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Eh, could file it under thoughts or feedback I reckon as I'm trying to say that pretty much everyone here is basic enough to be described in a single sentence.
it's usually pretty hard to do that with good characters.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cerbir
Wrong. Google "monomyth". And on top of that your descriptions are not that accurate.

veteran
Online Content
veteran

Not to say that these characters are revolutionary or anything like that, but I think you're wrong. Firstly because you can totally describe good characters in one sentence. It just requires stripping them of any nuance.

Harry Potter: Magical orphan chosen one who just wants to go to school with his friends.

Harry Dresden: Gritty magical detective.

Goku: Nice, dumb guy who really loves fighting and eating.

Catra (From She-Ra and the Princesses of Power): Angry teen girl with abandonment issues.

Secondly, this is still act one, we don't know the full breadth or even probably half of these character's stories, so there's sure to be more nuance and interest to be found.

old hand
old hand
I think being able to boil a character down to a single sentence isn't a good or bad thing. Some of the most compelling characters in fiction could easily be described in a single sentence.

Here are some examples that come to mind for me, ignoring great side characters and focusing just on main protagonists who have stuck with me, and trying to go into multiple genres.

Spoiler tagged cause somewhat spoilery. And some of these go a little more interpretive. My point here is well written characters absolutely can be summarized in one sentence because that is all that it is, a summary. And you always lose details in a summary.

Going into literature:

Quasimoto- An adopted deformed man with family issues and a crush on a gypsy.

Don Quixote- A chivalric, insane man who creates his own problems and fails to grasp reality.

Ishmael- A whaler sharing a bed with a cannibal while witnessing a descent into madness and revenge.

Edmond Dantes- A betrayed man who has gotten rich and plots to enact his vengeance on all those who have wronged him.

Paul Atreides- A kid from a spanish-style planet who ends up on a desert planet and becomes a messiah leading a revolution and empire before falling.

Roland- A gunslinger who will reach the tower no matter how much or who he must sacrifice to do so.

From Film We Got:

Ashitaka: A cursed man trying to create a balance between the strenuous sides of man and nature while searching for a cure.

Oscar Schindler: A greedy nazi who ultimately realizes the atrocities of Nazi Germany and does his best to save and spare the Schindlerjuden.

Charles Foster Kane- A man who kept grasping for more when the things he truly wanted were always in his grasp, and only lost because of his greed.

Jim Hawkins- A boy with father issues who grew up on stories of pirates finds a map to a treasure and goes on a journey while connecting with the villain.

Ellen Ripley- A smart and strong woman who gets caught up in the consequences of corporate greed in the form of an alien or aliens.

The Iron Giant- A giant robot that is possibly a weapon of mass destruction finds companionship and a strong moral compass leading to it growing into a hero.

From Television:

Kiritsugu Emiya- A man who dreams of becoming a hero and saving the world but adheres to a philosophy and methodology of sacrifice and "ends justifying the means."

Aang- A kid out of time who has to learn how to be the bringer of balance in an era of war while also coming to grips with how the world has changed.

Alvin Murphy- A selfish person with immunity to an apocalyptic virus who goes through phases of messiac cure bring, psychotic ruler, and eventually better human than most humans while still being a little more zombie.

Eleanor Shellstrop: A terrible human who supposedly woke up in heaven and over time has problems with ethics that eventually prove that humans can change and that society and structures around humans can change.

Legoshi- An anthropomorphic wolf coming to grips with his carnivore nature while also developing a relationship with a rabbit and deer while also dealing with the problem of a murderer.

Ashley Williams- A man who has survived B-Movie horrors having to face those horrors again at an older age with the help of some allies.

And From Video Games:

Lee Everet- A possible murderer having to take care of a little girl in a zombie apocalypse while dealing with troubles from outside and inside the group.

The Undead- A cursed individual rising up and taking on challenges to preserve or end an equally cursed world with unknown motives or unknown reasons to persevere where others go hollow.

Squall Leonhart- An emotionally stunted child soldier finally opening up to other people as he realizes his capabilities in an inherently unfair world, while recognizing how he contributes to the cycle.

John Marston- An outlaw given a chance for freedom who does the work of a corrupt government to give his family a chance at a good and honest life.

Laura Croft: A rich enigmatic tomb raider who gets caught up in mysterious situations and conspiracies, often times connecting to her past and her past traumas.

Artyom: A survivor of a nuclear apocalypse who travels the world of the russian underground surviving and dealing with the growing threat of mutants and violent tribes of humans.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 18/07/21 06:36 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Give me any characters you want, and if i know them i can bet with you i shall be able to describe them with single sentence. laugh

And the others as you can see will be helping. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/07/21 06:58 AM.

journeyman
journeyman
I would say these characters are good, they get the job done as far as story elements go. But a lot of them are uninteresting.

veteran
veteran
Minthara : Is evil but and generates 50% of the thirst in this game.
[co

Minthara lost some serious thirst when they changed her hair. She looks like a young Bea Arthur from The Golden Girls - more Handsome than actually hot.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I'm trying to say that pretty much everyone here is basic enough to be described in a single sentence.
Not really - you can reduce anything to one sentence. On top of that, all we see is unfinished 1st act of the game, so we have no way of judging how well developed the characters are, as they are yet to be…. developed. I have my worries, but it’s mostly based on assumptions, and my experience with other Larian titles.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Minthara lost some serious thirst when they changed her hair. She looks like a young Bea Arthur from The Golden Girls - more Handsome than actually hot.
Well ...
In my country, we call that haircut "im 16 and i just had my first woman experience (meaning kiss), so now im 1000% sure im totally lesbian". -_-

Cerbir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Actually that seems like fun. You're on then.

Don Quixote
Geralt of Rivia
Artyom Alekseyevich Chyornyj
While E. Coyote
John Rambo
King Arthur
Roland Deschain
The god emperor of mankind as of 42m

Lets see what ya got.

Last edited by Cerbir; 18/07/21 04:42 PM.

old hand
old hand
Actually that seems like fun. You're on then.

Don Quixote
Geralt of Rivia
Artyom Alekseyevich Chyornyj
While E. Coyote
John Rambo
King Arthur
Roland Deschain
The god emperor of mankind as of 42m

Lets see what ya got.

I already did a few of those in my list but I like the "challenge" and will try to do different single sentences.

Don Quixote: A delusional man who is convinced he is a chivalric knight and wanders about creating his own problems.

Geralt: A monster hunter embroiled in politics, the supernatural, and the interests of sorceresses as he travels taking care of "problems."

Artyom: A post-apocalyptic survivor attempting to survive in Russia while dealing with tribes of humans and increasingly dangerous mutants.

While E. Coyote: A cartoon coyote who wants to eat a roadrunner but is foiled by that bird and the inventions he buys from acme corp.

John Rambo: A veteran who finds himself more at home in war than the home-front but finds wars to fight in his life.

King Arthur: The legendary king of Britain who pulled the sword from the stone, received another sword from the lady in the lake, and lead Camelot to prosperity until the betrayal of Mordred.

Roland Deschain: A gunslinger out of time and universe traveling with the goal of reaching the dark tower, undertaking any sacrifices to reach it.

The God Emperor of Mankind: The most powerful human being reduced to an effigy on a throne at the center of an empire.

Cerbir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
That is impressively spot on actually, and without a single ounce of sarcasm or cheek.
Which kinda beats me by a solid mile....

Very well then I rescind me previous point regarding the ease of describing good characters in a single sentence.

That said I still hold to most of my points regarding how generic and dull some of the characters are.

Gale in particular is pretty much just a generic textbook wizard minus the beard and pointy hat. Right down to making magically overcomplicated means of un-kiling himself, playing around with mirror images and chowing down on magical artifacts so he won't explode.
Wyll for all his charisma, is just a man that made a deal with a devil. None of his actions or motivations offer any surprise and what's worse... they are predictable. RIght from the moment he appears you can almost feel his every decision before he even makes it especially if you peek into his head and find his "devil"...

And those are just the two that immediately stand out. I'm not so arrogant as to assume that's all there is and that the story and characters will not expand and improve in the full game but presently they are well, kind of a joke and difficult to take seriously.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Eh, could file it under thoughts or feedback I reckon as I'm trying to say that pretty much everyone here is basic enough to be described in a single sentence.

Google reductionism.

veteran
veteran
This is so pointless

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

There's horny fanart of Minthara? Halsin too? Where?

Er... asking for a friend...

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:32 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
veteran
veteran
That said I still hold to most of my points regarding how generic and dull some of the characters are.
No argument there. I don’t dread entering conversations, as I did in D:OS2, so there is an improvement there, but I am still don’t find characters we got to interact with terribly interesting or fun.

Link Copied to Clipboard