Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
So ...
I finaly get to test it myself ... and even if that is kinda embarasing, i must admit it was a lot of fuss for nothing. laugh

Im still perfectly able to drag Barells wherewer i want, and blow them whenever i want ...
(I mean, so far i tested only Nautiloid tanks, but you get the idea.)

So ...
I would probably agree with Blackheifer ...
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
The Barrelmancy thing - in my eyes- is at this point mostly solved. So if they made no further changes I wouldn't be too concerned.
laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
I imagine the reason they made it the way they did is because it is much more easily tuned than a "new" system of management. This way they can add a difficulty slider that affects how much weight a character with "x" Strength can carry/push/throw late on in the development process and let players choose their personal level of cheese. It seems to me that this is a much more sensible, consistent and adaptable process than we had previously, and can be adapted to keep player agency at the forefront further down the line.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
I imagine the reason they made it the way they did is because it is much more easily tuned than a "new" system of management. This way they can add a difficulty slider that affects how much weight a character with "x" Strength can carry/push/throw late on in the development process and let players choose their personal level of cheese. It seems to me that this is a much more sensible, consistent and adaptable process than we had previously, and can be adapted to keep player agency at the forefront further down the line.

Agreed. You could completely end B-mancy at this point by simply changing the weights on the barrels themselves to something a bit higher. As it stands its much more limited now. Nobody is going to be holding 7-8 barrels in inventory to toss out at a moments notice.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Being an enthusiastic barrelmancer and fierce defender of the practice is a new low even for Ragnarok, by the way.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Gideon Stargrave
Why would you be able to pick up and throw around heavy barrels?
It makes more sense this way.
That is the question isnt it?
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Chainmail you are curently wearing at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Warhammer you are curently holding at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing a Goblin, wich probably should not cooperate, at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Necrotic damage spreading corpse of your Friend at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as carrying more than our own weight in gold ...

Yet ... we are able to do all of it, but for some reason none of it bother people around here as much as the fact that we can "put barrel in our inventory". laugh

I don't really care about barrelmancy and I always felt that, of the Larian homebrew rules it was the least obtrusive and most forgivable, but I do feel a need to address this list you made. Partly because I'd feel annoyed if I didn't and partly because it feels like it would be fun.

1) You can do that in the game? I actually think throwing heavy barrels might be *more* realisitc.

2) That sounds perfectly reasonable and realistic to me. If you're strong enough to lift a properly weild warhammer, why wouldn't you be strong enough to throw it?

3) I mean, I feel like a goblin would be lighter than a full barrel, and if you do it quickly enough, their cooperation won't be much of an issue.

4) Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. You got them there.

5) Again, you got them there.

And I'm done. And I was right, this was fun, thanks for the opportunity. And I'm glad the current state of things left you feeling happy enough in the end.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Infinite +1 to this ... ^_^
Man can dream, right? laugh

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I don't really care about barrelmancy and I always felt that, of the Larian homebrew rules it was the least obtrusive and most forgivable, but I do feel a need to address this list you made. Partly because I'd feel annoyed if I didn't and partly because it feels like it would be fun.
Im allways for fun. smile

1) You can do that in the game? I actually think throwing heavy barrels might be *more* realisitc.
I didnt try to be completely honest ...
But in my last gameplay (actualy penultimate ... is that real word? laugh ) i was able to thrown both weapon i was holding (with no indication that is weapon im holding) and my own boots i had on myself ... and since there was some armor, i just presumed the same rule aply to anything you are wearing. laugh
But maybe i was wrong with this one. smile

2) That sounds perfectly reasonable and realistic to me. If you're strong enough to lift a properly weild warhammer, why wouldn't you be strong enough to throw it?
Yes, you are right ...
Here my complaint was not actualy based on it should be impossible, but on the fact that throw your ONLY weapon is the stupidest idea you could do in combat. smile

3) I mean, I feel like a goblin would be lighter than a full barrel, and if you do it quickly enough, their cooperation won't be much of an issue.
Depends ... they still could grab your armor, or arm, or dunno ... anything. laugh
Just note, in previous patches, i was even able to kill one Cambion by throwing other Cambion on him. laugh
It was funny as hells (get it?).

4) Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. You got them there.
I actualy write this one badly, now when i read it.
The funny part here is, that while you were (again on previous patch, i didnt try yet on 5) totally able to grab fully consciousness, armed, armored and winged cambion ... and throw him at another cambion, causing quite significant damage to both.
Yet you were unable to throw rotting corpse. O_o

5) Again, you got them there.
I was playing advocatu diaboli in this particular point ...
Honestly i would not mind if Gold would be weightless ... i would probably not mind even if it would become just abstract currency, written in top right corner, just next to other stuff ... since so far i didnt find any use for gold as an item ... now when i think about it, i never tryed to throw for example 10 gold pieces between goblins ... that could either be fun, or huge dissapointment. laugh

And I'm done. And I was right, this was fun, thanks for the opportunity. And I'm glad the current state of things left you feeling happy enough in the end.
Happy to serve. ^_^
Yeah, in the end the words sounded a lot worse than it actualy is. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Being an enthusiastic barrelmancer and fierce defender of the practice is a new low even for Ragnarok, by the way.

You can do better. Behave.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Dabedidabe
Just by playing the game normally you can find out about how strong this stuff is
Oh i do play the game "normally" ...
I have 411hours played ... since start i finished Early acess more than 20 now ...

And i tryed it all ...
I tryed eating food during the combat instead of drinking potions, i find every combat trivial and unenjoyabe ... i stopped ... my game experience improved.
I tryed to spam Long rest after every combat, i find it tedious and anoying ... i stopped ... my game experience improved.
I tryed to hide after every attack, i find it simply stupid (and also i was forgoting often laugh ) ... i stopped ... again, it was better.
I tryed to walk around enemies to get backstab advantage ... same story as with hiding.
I tryed to kill enemies by throwing them to another enemies ... that was fun, for a while ... but eventualy i stoped again. smile
I tryed to kill every single NPC i met before even talking to it ... that was interesting experience ... some hard moments was there, if you dont have resuplying vendors that are still offering another, and another healing potions, but you have to do with what you get ... and you have no party with you ... i admit that i never managed to kill Githyanki patrol like this. :P

It's interesting and confusing to me that you're saying not using those things improved your experience, which is exactly the point.

Many people also see part of the game as a challenge to overcome, using the rules of the game. By having these cheese tactics in place it removes that challenge.

You see removing/toning down these features as ruining someone else's fun, but having it in there actually affects people's fun too. Building a barbarian that does tons of damage doesn't feel so badass anymore when in that same universe anyone can just blow each other up with tons of free explosives everywhere.

Now add to that the amount of explosive barrels available (which is also immersion breaking)
This is what i dont like about all those "immersion breaking" people are talking around here ... you just state it, and concider it a fact.
How? Why? ... What is so immersion beaking about the fact that flamable materials exists, and people are hoarding them? laugh

What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people are creating wine that is flamable?
(I wonder how they do it, tho since as far as i know, lowest amount of alcohol to make fluid flamable is 30% ... and that can certainly no longer being called a wine laugh )
What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people noticed that oil is flamable, and they started to gather it for that reason? laugh
What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people noticed how incredibly usefull black powder is, so they started to create as much as they could? O_o

I mean except the word "wine" wich could easily be replaced by "liquer" (even tho port wine have quite high amount of alcohol, yet its still a wine ... not sure if that is flamable tho) and sudently, all is fixed ...
That all is just natural course of things ... you can see exactly the same was happening in our world history. laugh

You explain why it is so yourself partially. It is a fantasy world so we'll say it's fine they make that stuff.

If there was so much explosive material around and everyone has magic pockets, there would be little need for knights with swords or even wizards that can conjure up a fireball. You could just bring explosive barrels, roll them at the enemy and throw a firebolt cantrip. It makes all classes unnecessary and the world less believable.

Something similar to oil should be rare and expensive. This is more like gunpowder, which should be even more rare. Believability tends to be stretched in fantasy, but there is a limit to where it starts to damage immersion.

and you've got a situation where you as a player are not sure whether the game is balanced around this or not. If you don't know this for sure and your abilities don't matter for barrelmancy, and thus for encounters, it feels like your choices didn't matter.
I believe you can be pretty sure about this ...
Question: Can you overcome any encounter without blowing even a single Barrel?
Answers: Yes > therefore game is not ballanced around it. ... No > therefore game is ballanced around it.

That was not so hard, was it? wink
Yes, Barrels are covenient "easy button" prepared for you whenever you might need it, or simply want it ... and that is exactly what they are, nothing more, nothing less.
Are you still sure about this when the highest difficulty comes around and you can't get past a certain encounter that has explosive barrels right next to it? Is someone who has trouble on their first playthrough sure about this? You have 411 hours into this game, it's easy for you to know the intention now, but someone who plays it for the first time doesn't know this. Having spent time researching and creating your first very cool character, only to find out that everyone with explosive barrels is more effective is a very disappointing experience.

The amount of explosive barrels available also causes the problem of removing the novelty of the idea. Bringing along an explosive barrel to win an encounter can be really cool, but when that can just be done every battle, it's pretty boring. The amount of it feels like a DM constantly telling you to use his "fun" solution. A single oil barrel that you could use somewhere, is way more exciting than an oil barrel around every corner.
I agree ...
But it would be tedious and boring to drag the barell across whole map, just to use it somewhere else, than DM expected you to want it.

Therefore there is many of them, so you can use them anywhere, and any time you want ...
And if you dont? Well, then you simply dont. smile No harm made.
Having to put in effort makes it more rewarding, which = more fun.

I don't know if you play D&D, but finding a barrel of explosives can be really cool. Then figuring out a way to bring it along can be really cool when you blow up a camp of orcs or something. Now imagine that every encounter the DM describes what you see and then says there is an explosive barrel in the middle of it. You stop exploding them because the third time it's already stopped being fun, but the DM keeps telling you about them. You'd start to roll your eyes a lot. That's what it currently feels like.

I believe Larian did fantastic job here ...
They realized that this game will be accesible for wide amount of players, with wide amount of expectations, and even wide amount of definitions of fun ... then, they implemented as many options for those people as they were even able, so everyone can have his own. smile
Sadly ... then puritans came ... and start demanding that litteraly everything that is not in the book is scraped, destroyed, remowed, thrown away, and forgotten for eternity ... what we get in the end, if Larian will listen to them and only them, would be game that would be just perfect for the most hardcore DnD players ... quite good fot casual DnD players, or experienced RPG players ... and will totally suck for everyone else. :-/
I dont want this to be BG-3 fate. :-/
This has nothing to do with puritans, you can have explosives in 5e. It's about people who want to actually have their choices matter and the world to be believable.

but they want to feel clever for using it and it should be unique to a certain experience.
And nothing is stoping them, but themselves.
That is another funny part. smile
Nope, the option is shoved in your face so much that it doesn't feel clever anymore. It feels like it's what the designers wanted you to do.

You find a difficult encounter: "Maybe you can stash some loot in order to have the barbarian bring that barrel from the town and then you'll get them!" is way more fun than: "This encounter is hard, I guess I'll take one of those 7 explosive barrels out of my inventory."
But those options are not exclusive to each other ...
When you are able to do both ... the one who wants to do first thing, can have his fun ... the one who wants to do the second thing, can have his fun ...
When you are able to do only first ... the second gets screwed. :-/
When you can do the second, the first option doesn't feel good/clever anymore. Challenge/effort makes things rewarding. Additionally, an explosive barrel that you brought from town to the other kind of the map also doesn't feel like it's what the designers meant for you to do, but rather something you came up with and is specific to your gaming experience.

Your whole problem with not understanding this is in what it feels like to do these things for most people. You feel it's fun to just try different things. Other people think it's fun to come up with clever strategies and outsmart the game, or to be challenged. Being "clever" in this game is too easy, because everything is just allowed. Constraints breed creativity. Someone who came up with really cool party tactics can actually be disappointed when they find out that barrelmancy (or shoving everything for that matter) is just better. It's fine if it's there, but it needs to be balanced around other choices.

veteran
veteran
A 9th level Wizard or Sorcerer can be an actual barrelmancer and more with Telekinesis (and Bag of Holding, perhaps).

You can drink a Potion of Giant's Strength and have fun throwing barrels.

Why should anyone be able to do it by default without any skills or clever use of consumables? It just takes away the coolness and fun of it if it's casual business.

Last edited by 1varangian; 26/07/21 01:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
A 9th level Wizard or Sorcerer can be an actual barrelmancer and more with Telekinesis (and Bag of Holding, perhaps).

Why should anyone be able to do it by default without any skills or clever use of consumables? It just takes away the coolness and fun of it if it's casual business.

AMEN!

D
stranger
stranger
D

Yes yes yes! +1

veteran
veteran
Exactly. Blowing enemies with barrels is still a thing, and is very effective, and can be to some extend abused with unique build/smart use of spells consumables - but it's rare enough to remain special and fun, rather then constant over the top dull.

veteran
veteran
It's interesting and confusing to me that you're saying not using those things improved your experience, which is exactly the point.
Well, yes ... i dont see any contradiction there.
I want serious gameplay > i dont use cheese > i have it > im having fun.
I want crazy gameplay > i do use cheese > i have it > im having fun.

Simple as that. laugh
Once i "remove" one option for good, i would no longer be able to have *that* type of fun, when i want it ... therefore, its ruining my fun. wink

Many people also see part of the game as a challenge to overcome, using the rules of the game. By having these cheese tactics in place it removes that challenge.

You see removing/toning down these features as ruining someone else's fun, but having it in there actually affects people's fun too. Building a barbarian that does tons of damage doesn't feel so badass anymore when in that same universe anyone can just blow each other up with tons of free explosives everywhere.
I cant agree with this opinion ...
As i allready stated countless times (and since you are quoting me, i presume you have readed some of them) ... i dont believe that existence of easier path is ruining anything ... its walking the path. :-/

It seem to me like having mountain ... with elevator on it.
I have to ask myself: Do i want to just look from the top? Or do i want to climb this mountain?
I want to look ... and i dont care how i get on top > i pick elevator.
I want to climp ... and that climbing is actualy fun for me > i pick the wall.
But once the elevator is turned down, bcs climbers had the idea that its ruining their effort ... i, again, lost my fun (in those days when im too lazy to climb). smile

As i said countless times, it seem that i am unable to understand this state of mind ... since all i care about is mine own fun ... maybe im simply too selfish (or you are not enough, w/e) to understand your problem with existence of "easy button" ... but its existence allone simply dont diminish my achievments in game ... when i use them, then (and ONLY THEN) yes, it does, but that is purely my own fault. smile

If there was so much explosive material around and everyone has magic pockets, there would be little need for knights with swords or even wizards that can conjure up a fireball. You could just bring explosive barrels, roll them at the enemy and throw a firebolt cantrip. It makes all classes unnecessary and the world less believable.
I disagree ...

Barells are dangerous, anyone can jump at you while you are preparing them and blow them to your face ...

Knight with sword is perfectly sufficient against smaller threats, and thousand times safer.

Also, note that any Wizard that us conjuring up fireball can be potentialy even more dangerous (since right now, explosion radius is ridiculously small), and also Wizards (if his specialisation is Evocation i think) attack can be completely harmless for your own forces ... that is luxury Barells dont provide. Next positive for Wizards over barells is the fact that all damage Wizard do, is practicaly free ... i mean, yes i know he will expend *some* uninportant resource that will replenish itself for free while he sleeps ... but that, again is something Barrels never do, you have to obtain (no matter if buy or steal) another every time you use it. laugh And as before, there is no way that Wizard will blow to your own face, just bcs someone attacked him sooner than you expected. (unless his name is Gale from Waterdeep) laugh laugh laugh

So ... nope, from imersion perspective any ruler who would dismis all his knoghts and wizards and stuck his castle with gunpowder ... well, lets say end of his reign would be certainly spectacular, and swift. laugh

Something similar to oil should be rare and expensive. This is more like gunpowder, which should be even more rare. Believability tends to be stretched in fantasy, but there is a limit to where it starts to damage immersion.
Well "so much" seem like quite strong words ...
For one, i must admit that i have no idea how many barrels of wich flamable material is in game curently ... but i honestly doubt its more than, lets say 50 for example.

That dont sounds like so much to me ... especialy, once you remind yourself that ingame map is obviously not 1:1, since it would take Goblins to litteraly 5 minutes walking east to find Druids grove. laugh

And yes, i know that in Goblin camp there is room that is STUFFED with explosives ... but that have story-wise reason. wink
If you actualy listen to chit-chat between goblins, they are talking about next siege and usage of those explosives ... i believe i heared something about some walls ... i get strong Battle of Helm's Deep wibe from that conversation. :3

Are you still sure about this when the highest difficulty comes around and you can't get past a certain encounter that has explosive barrels right next to it?
I never found them anywhere near Githyanki patrol, inside Hag's Lair, around Redcaps, Wood Woads, not even close to Gnolls pack, Phase Spider Matriarch, Bulette, Minotaurs, Duegars, Hooked Horrors, anywhere in Myconid Collony, or anywhere near those petrified Drows where you can fight Spectator. O_o

So ... that "certain encounter" you are talking about is? O_o
Bcs i can remember only Goblin leaders ... and maybe Cambion General (still dont remember his name) in tutorial ...
And in both cases you need to drag Barells from conciderable distance to use them in my opinion. o_O

//Edit: OH I JUST REMEMBERED!!! Intellect devourers!!!
That is actualy the only encounter, where you have explosives prepared "just next to the enemy" ... all you need in that fight is huge neon sign "blow this" pointing at that tank. laugh
But im not sure if that encounter even can be concidered hard, i dont even remember when i was "at least" hit from them. O_o

someone who plays it for the first time doesn't know this. Having spent time researching and creating your first very cool character, only to find out that everyone with explosive barrels is more effective is a very disappointing experience.
I believe this is just matter of person's mindset ...
Personaly i would be even happier, knowing that i used the hard-er(or -ish, if you want) way and yet overcome that challenge. smile

Also, i cant keep for myself that note that if our speculative person really "spend time researching" the game ... and never reads about Barells ... lets be honest with each other for a while, he obviously didnt researched too thoroughly. laugh

Having to put in effort makes it more rewarding, which = more fun.
I agree ... except the wording "having to". wink

When game forces me to do two hours research ... im annoyed. :-/
When game presents me something so interesting that i would do two hours research ... im exited. smile

And to keep it closer to your quote ... you can imagine that research would probably be named "how to play properly this class". laugh

I don't know if you play D&D
Well yes, but actualy no ... smile
Me and my group play something simmilar (Dračí Doupě ... it could be called Czech version of DnD, but its not pure translation, there are differences), but we use much more homebrew rules and much less dicerolls. smile
Maybe even that is partialy the reason i have so little problems with them. laugh

, but finding a barrel of explosives can be really cool. Then figuring out a way to bring it along can be really cool when you blow up a camp of orcs or something.
I bet. laugh

Now imagine that every encounter the DM describes what you see and then says there is an explosive barrel in the middle of it. You stop exploding them because the third time it's already stopped being fun, but the DM keeps telling you about them. You'd start to roll your eyes a lot. That's what it currently feels like.
Not to me. smile
What can i tell, its good description (although maybe a little exaggerated, since game is not reminding you their presence ... they just "are there". laugh ) ... but this is pure personal insight ... i dont see it that way, sory i really dont have any other reaction for this. :-/

This has nothing to do with puritans, you can have explosives in 5e. It's about people who want to actually have their choices matter and the world to be believable.
This is the actual core of the problem ...
This is exactly what im simply unable to understand ... how existence of other option diminishes the first option? Now you even get so far so you imply (or it seems that way) that any other choice dont even matter. O_o

If this mindset would be "default" in Wizards of the Coast ... we would only have Half-Orc Barbarians ... only have High Elf, or Gnome Wizards ... only have Wood Elves druids ...
They are most effective, so there are no reason to have any other. smile
Luckily, they understands walue of choices ... even if some are not as effective as others. smile

And all i can do is suggest you the same ... next time you will see a Barrel, just CHOOSE to focus on your fun, walk past it like it dont even exist and enjoy your game. smile Sooner or later you will notice that its existence is not threatening your fun ... it was you the whole time. wink

Nope, the option is shoved in your face so much that it doesn't feel clever anymore. It feels like it's what the designers wanted you to do.
I know i said im unable to understand only that thing i mentioned previously ...
But actualy you managed to find me another topic. laugh

You say that having so many Barells dont feel "good" anymore ...
Does that mean that killing, lets saaaaay ... 10th enemy with fireball dont feel good anymore? That spectacular magic explosion wich will turn your enemies in cinders become boring somehow? O_o
The same story with other classes ...
Will you stop healing your party with your Cleric after few fights, bs you "did that before" ?
Will you stop changing forms with your Druid, unless you find some new animal you didnt turn into previously?
Will you stop banging your enemies heads with Barbarian, bcs it become routine?

I believe you dont ...
So how is that possible that "blow XYth barrel" is boring ... but do litteraly anything that you did for last couple of hours, is still the same fun?
If i had to bet, its not bcs you blowed XYth barrel, its just bcs YOU personaly, dont like blowing barrels in general. smile

When you can do the second, the first option doesn't feel good/clever anymore. Challenge/effort makes things rewarding.
Its just different kind of reward ...

When you overcome your enemy by conventional methods, you feel good bcs you did it.
When you find some unconventional method, (either blowing your first Barrel, or push a statue over them) you feel good bcs you finded it.
When you overcome your enemy by blowing your 1000th barell, you feel good bcs you either obviously like it ... or bcs you obviously dont care about the challenge itself, and just enjoy getting good loot. laugh

The point is simple, every approach provides its own reward ... and that is how things are suppose to be. smile

Additionally, an explosive barrel that you brought from town to the other kind of the map also doesn't feel like it's what the designers meant for you to do, but rather something you came up with and is specific to your gaming experience.
Agreed ... So?
Again, either you are happy you figured something out ... or you figure you dont want to use it, therefore you do not. smile

I would like to focus on last words in that post "is specific to your gaming experience" ... especialy single word in the middle "YOUR".
Personaly i concider this word especialy important. smile

Your whole problem with not understanding this is in what it feels like to do these things for most people.
As i admit in almost every post in this threat for past few weeks. laugh
Glad someone finaly noticed. laugh

You feel it's fun to just try different things. Other people think it's fun to come up with clever strategies and outsmart the game, or to be challenged.
Well ... lets say yes for example purposes. laugh

The beauty of this game is that *right now* we all are ABLE to have our fun ... sometimes some of us need to close their eyes a little, i can agree on that ... but the ability is still there. smile

Being "clever" in this game is too easy, because everything is just allowed. Constraints breed creativity. Someone who came up with really cool party tactics can actually be disappointed when they find out that barrelmancy (or shoving everything for that matter) is just better.
Again, that is just question of mindset. smile
I would be happy that i came up with really cool party tactics and never needed this easy button ...
But if i would be unable to came up with that really cool party tactics, i would be frustrated that im stuck on this stupid overwhelmigly hard boss and cant move futher ... if you want example, search "Githyanki patrol overpowered" threat (or something like that). wink

It's fine if it's there, but it needs to be balanced around other choices.
With one hand on heart and another one on Bible (i hope it counts from atheist) ...
I cant agree more. smile

I just dont think they are. laugh
Proof? Any combat is perfectly doable without blowing even single Barrel ... and as long it stays that way, i believe we all should be satisfied. :P

//2.Edit:
I would still like enemies to react on that PC are placing explosives around them tho. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/07/21 04:31 PM.

veteran
veteran
Ragnarok.
"Winning" arguments on the forum with contrived logic and disingenuous talking points since October 2020, all thanks to the uncanny ability of murdering people's mouse wheels and using pointless multiquotes as a bizarre ritual to drain everyone's mental strength.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
If your post requires multiple seconds to scroll through, please put it (or large portions of it) in a spoiler box thanks. Common courtesy.

Edit: unless you're creating a new thread, then type away!

Last edited by mrfuji3; 26/07/21 07:13 PM.
I think I find the sheer amount of explosive barrels placed everywhere is even more ridiculous. Maybe Larian should look in to that as well and ask their world/map/environment designers to maybe pull in the reins a wee bit when it comes to explosive barrels.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Barrelmancy is "ok" in Divinity OS 2 because it follows whatever logic Larian studio wants.

But it doesn't merge with Baldur's Gate franchise, and doesn't make sense in DnD 5.

Let's pretend that the common barrels we see in the game (firewine barrel) weights the same as wine barrels do in real life.

Empty, they weight around 90 pounds, and full they weight around 600 pounds.

In the game these common usual barrels weight 10 pounds.

And the "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't want to" is the kind of excuse that can be used to implement whatever flaws in gameplay, lore, or mechanic:

- How about putting infinite attribute points at player's disposal on character creation?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use it if they don't want to."

- How about a portal opening on player's camp, and having a demon giving explosives with no weight and automatic crossbows, so everyone can cheese the game more?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't want to."

- How about putting all magic scrolls inside an infinite bag of holding on the beach, so the player can access all of them on the beggining of the game?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't don't want to."

And the list could go on for a series of absurd things, that could easily be defended using this same flawed logic.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Melkisedeck
Empty, they weight around 90 pounds, and full they weight around 600 pounds.

In the game these common usual barrels weight 10 pounds.

And the "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't want to" is the kind of excuse that can be used to implement whatever flaws in gameplay, lore, or mechanic:

- How about putting infinite attribute points at player's disposal on character creation?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use it if they don't want to."

- How about a portal opening on player's camp, and having a demon giving explosives with no weight and automatic crossbows, so everyone can cheese the game more?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't want to."

- How about putting all magic scrolls inside an infinite bag of holding on the beach, so the player can access all of them on the beggining of the game?
A: "That's no big deal, because players don't have to use them if they don't don't want to."

And the list could go on for a series of absurd things, that could easily be defended using this same flawed logic.

These are all excellent points.

Yeah I think the argument of "just don't use it" falls apart when you subject it to these sorts of escalating absurdities. I mean the whole point of having good world building is that the world feels - even with magic - at least somewhat realistic, or that there are non-arbitrary rules that you have to work with. Any exceptions have to have a story-driven reason behind them.

And even in D&D there is a way to be a barrel-tossing lunatic- but you need to build your character around that.

The point though seems moot as I stated earlier - as Larian applies the RAW - Barrelmancy goes away on its own. I am seeing it less and less in Multiplayer because its just not worth it to lose that kind of inventory space for a single barrel that can't be thrown anyway.

Blackheifer
M
stranger
stranger
M
Exactly.

"Single player games don't need to be balanced" is another absurd thing people say without further thought.

Magic isn't an excuse to do whatever.

The world has to be faithful to DnD 5 rules and Baldur's Gate (Forgotten Realms) lore, doing some slightly changes to preexisting rules to make the experience better (like making rangers better, as they're lacking in the PnP DnD 5, as an example).

journeyman
journeyman
The problem isn't the carrying capacity, the problem is the NPCs watching you put gunpowder in front of them and thinking that's normal, or they arrive at a place full of gunpowder and do nothing.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard