Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2020
U
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
U
Joined: Nov 2020
I just saw a quote from Larian, that amounted to "you guys have no idea what we have in store for you"

Im pretty sure I do... and I am I a bit concerned Larian thinks its more clever than it is.

The player is already a mind flayer, and so is everyone else... there is no going back, because our brains have been fully replaced by the tadpole already. We just dont look like a Mind Flayer, and we are operating off the memories of the person whose body we stole.

Like thats the plot twist right? thats the thing you will drop on us in the middle of the last act, and be like "how do you feel knowing you are the shadoooooow of a persoooon oooooohhhhhhhhh spoopy woah you arent you woah"

Joined: Aug 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Aug 2020
Honestly, I don't think the big twist is going to be that simply because it doesn't quite feel crazy enough. I feel like the big twist is going to be something way more out of left field. Not necessarily something smarter, just something more weird and kind of ridiculous. Also my gut says that the big twist will happen before the end. Or at least there will be *a* big twist before the very end.

Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
Nay. So far story doesn't even revolve around mindslayers, with hells and "Absolute" playing far bigger role. Tadpole is just a plot device.

Joined: Nov 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Nov 2020
The big twist is likely going to be whatever ties this squarely into BG1+2 I think.
Clearly the Absolute is Tiax. (Joking, maybe)

Most likely, I think the twist is the identity of the absolute AND the exact why we aren't turning, our purpose.

If the twist ends up being, oh no look all the companions you have recruited but not active right now turned into mindflayers! I will be pissed.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 24/07/21 07:43 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
When i was fantasying about the plot twist back when all we have seen was Cinematic trailer (aka first cinematic in game) ...
I was thinking that in the end we shall turn into Mind Flayer, and go back in time to kidnap our past-self. To ensure our survival. laugh laugh laugh


I liked original spellcasting system more ... frown

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Nov 2020
A
addict
Offline
addict
A
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Nay. So far story doesn't even revolve around mindslayers, with hells and "Absolute" playing far bigger role. Tadpole is just a plot device.
Hells, or rather Zariel, certainly looks to be involved. In the secluded cove you can find a note and a journal, which could be just an easter egg, or could be part of the main plot.

Last edited by ash elemental; 24/07/21 09:01 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Is this what you mean?
Wyll at one point (as well as Gale, I think), recalls having been extremely powerful, but now being reduced in power since the tadpole. Laezel also speaks of tremendous feats of power (though, she could well just be bragging/exaggerating/lying). And Shadowheart has these flare ups, as well, that she doesn't recognize. It does appear as though something has been 'lost,' so to speak, in this transition.
The most perplexing would be Astarion's... well, changes, no longer being subject to the rules that he 'used' to have to live by. It does appear that there is a sharp disjunction between who we were before the tadpole's insertion and now.
To go along with your argument, perhaps Astarion's belief about his 'former' self, for instance, is just that: entirely constructed. After all, we all came out of the mindflayer pods, and we remember how quickly someone can "transition" in one of those pods: at a flip of the switch, apparently... It was portrayed to us players as a "transition" into a mindflayer: perhaps it wasn't a transition at all.

Last edited by RadiantHeart; 24/07/21 08:31 PM.
Joined: Dec 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Dec 2020
the problem with "you have no idea what we have in store" is that the internet is SCARY smart. They most definitely DO know what you have in mind. All the twists and turns you have in mind are going to be met with "okay...and?". Don't try to be cute, try to tell a good story.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 24/07/21 08:58 PM.
Joined: Nov 2020
U
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
U
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
If the twist ends up being, oh no look all the companions you have recruited but not active right now turned into mindflayers! I will be pissed.

This + Party Lock after Act 1 will completely ruin the game.

hear that Larian, dont ruin the game because you THINK you are smart.

Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Caaaaaaaanada
member
Offline
member
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Caaaaaaaanada
Im keeping my theories of the plot to myself so I can be secretly proud of figuring it out just from playing EA :V *and research on mind flayers

Last edited by Kryldost; 24/07/21 11:40 PM. Reason: *
Joined: Oct 2020
D
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
The big twist is likely going to be whatever ties this squarely into BG1+2 I think.
Clearly the Absolute is Tiax. (Joking, maybe)

Probably not, but I will totally lose my shit (in a good way) if the last line in BG3 is "Tiax Rules!"

Joined: Oct 2020
A
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
A
Joined: Oct 2020
Or it can be something as simple as Shar once again trying to rebuild the shadow weave. There are many hints to that in the game.

Joined: Nov 2020
U
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
U
Joined: Nov 2020
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
the problem with "you have no idea what we have in store" is that the internet is SCARY smart. They most definitely DO know what you have in mind. All the twists and turns you have in mind are going to be met with "okay...and?". Don't try to be cute, try to tell a good story.

this

And yes other guy guy, the reason for this theory is that everyone is now inexplicably weak compared to there backstory, or even has mismatching biology (vampire), and how scary fast people can be "turned"

Last edited by urktheturtle; 25/07/21 08:54 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm hoping my guess is not right, but if they end up copy&pasting the central plot twist of act 2 from BG2 for it's nostalgia inducing effects, and for railroading reasons, we'll simply be betrayed/apprehended at the start of act 2 and delivered to moonrise towers. This would happen regardless of the route choices and alliances we made in act 1, and in a way that renders the choice between allegiances mostly meaningless. Awakening all helpless at the slaver central, with a control instrument rammed into/onto our heads, would also basically repeat yet again the plot premise of DOS2.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 25/07/21 03:22 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Germany
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by urktheturtle
I just saw a quote from Larian, that amounted to "you guys have no idea what we have in store for you"

Im pretty sure I do... and I am I a bit concerned Larian thinks its more clever than it is.

The player is already a mind flayer, and so is everyone else... there is no going back, because our brains have been fully replaced by the tadpole already. We just dont look like a Mind Flayer, and we are operating off the memories of the person whose body we stole.

Like thats the plot twist right? thats the thing you will drop on us in the middle of the last act, and be like "how do you feel knowing you are the shadoooooow of a persoooon oooooohhhhhhhhh spoopy woah you arent you woah"

AND I THOUGHT ALL OUR BRAINS HAVE BEEN allready REPLACED BY VARIANTS of

Our Mind, Dark Mind and Slave Mind (Brains ofc)

So all is again totally unpredictable besides that Soul Coins are the most important Part in the solution of the whole game. wink

Last edited by TheHero; 26/07/21 10:25 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Italy
I'm actually guessing the core plot point will turn out to be the genesis/return of some unknown/forgotten god.
Parroting a bit the Bhaalspawn saga, basically.

Last edited by Tuco; 26/07/21 10:50 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Joined: Jan 2021
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jan 2021
Imoen is the Absolute

Joined: Oct 2020
A
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
A
Joined: Oct 2020
Hi ya it’s a me Imoen!

Joined: Dec 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Dec 2020
Imoen has been hanging out with Mario lol. Now i'm hearing that line with his voice laugh

Last edited by Boblawblah; 26/07/21 06:25 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
D
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Tiax Rules!

But Imoen is the puppet master pulling his strings.

And has been all along... playing the long game for world domination.

Last edited by dwig; 27/07/21 10:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5