Print Thread
N
NemethR Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Dear Developers, Dear all,

Finally in Patch 5, we can save Shadowheart in the prologue.
This is something that I actually very much like now, but the story does not add up.

!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!

So you go to the chamber where Shadowheart is captured.
You try to open the pod, but realise you can't free her just yet, you look around, and find the chest, that you can't open. - But the chest totally does not fit into the environment.
Then you search even more around, and go to the other chamber, where the Dead Thrall is.
You then find a key on her - why does she have that key? - Makes no sense.
Then you get back, and open the chest with the key, and find the "Illithid pod key" for Shadowhearts Pod. - Why is that locked in the chest, and especially why does a Thrall have the key?!

-------------

So unless there is some story element to this, that I am totally missing for some reason, how about the following instead:

You go to the chamber where Shadowheart is captured.
You try to open the pod, but realise you can't free her just yet, you look around.. do not find anything.... (Instead of the chest, have another mind on that table (for example).
Then you search even more around, and go to the other chamber, there you find a dead Mind flayer. - (Maybe even add back the dead priest, like they fought till death.)
On his corpse you find the "Illithid pod key".
Then you can go back and save Shadowheart.

-------------

In my opinion this would make much more sense.
Yes, this way you do not have to open the chest, but opening it does not really add anything to the game in my opinion anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So there is a thing called environmental storytelling. It is basically using visual clues to impart information and as a result it will always be to some degree interpretive, but it is the sort of thing which really allows a player to immerse themselves in a game and I would always resist the urge to 'correct it.'

I didn't find the scene was difficult to read at all.

My interpretation of that bit of the prologue is that the priest was either Shar worshiper and Shadowheart was known to them or of another faith and seeking the Mysterious Artefact. Like the player he was not a thrall and when he saw Shadowheart/the Artefact detained within the chrysalis chamber he lacked the arcane insight to operate the controls and release her but instead disabled the device by removing something critical and locked it away to buy time while he figured out a way to save her/retrieve the artifact. The chest and key may have been retrieved from the area immediately below where all the crates were where the player fights imps for the first time. He went into another room to experiment with a different pod and see if he could learn how to manipulate them but was discovered in the act and slain by an intellect devourer.

A short while later the player enters.

Last edited by DistantStranger; 29/07/21 12:35 AM.
N
NemethR Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I would accept this, if there were any clues suggesting this, but they renamed the Priest to "Dead Thrall".
So now it is even more confusing.

addict
addict
If you're a wizard (maybe high int too, arcana proficient) you can free Shadowheart with arcana checks, this option makes sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard