Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Ah okay, I didn't even know there was a way for me to find out how the Gnoll had been converted. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong Gnoll or something, I haven't reached them in patch 5 yet and all I really remember about them in the previous playthrough I did was them being stupidly strong with lots of multiattacks, annoyingly always being on the high ground with their bows to make their multiattacks even stronger, and having weird ties to the Absolute and weird homebrew abilities and crap.

Follow up question though, why are the other Gnolls going along with this? Is it just like a strength, don't challenge the leader cause you'll be crushed kind of thing? Don't know too much about Gnoll lore, but wouldn't the others be kind of thrown off when their leader starts to follow some other god?

Originally Posted by Pupito
Ah okay, I didn't even know there was a way for me to find out how the Gnoll had been converted. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong Gnoll or something, I haven't reached them in patch 5 yet and all I really remember about them in the previous playthrough I did was them being stupidly strong with lots of multiattacks, annoyingly always being on the high ground with their bows to make their multiattacks even stronger, and having weird ties to the Absolute and weird homebrew abilities and crap.

Follow up question though, why are the other Gnolls going along with this? Is it just like a strength, don't challenge the leader cause you'll be crushed kind of thing? Don't know too much about Gnoll lore, but wouldn't the others be kind of thrown off when their leader starts to follow some other god?

Gnolls are demonicaly influenced Hyenas. They do not follower a god but are connected to a Demon Lord. Meaning, the only way I could see that working if you somehow mind controll the leader and that leader steers the rest in a beneficial direction.

Pretty sure you can not incorporate chaotic evil demonic animals into any sort of cult or religion.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
Gnolls are demonicaly influenced Hyenas. They do not follower a god but are connected to a Demon Lord. Meaning, the only way I could see that working if you somehow mind controll the leader and that leader steers the rest in a beneficial direction.

Pretty sure you can not incorporate chaotic evil demonic animals into any sort of cult or religion.

That's what I meant by god, demon or not I figure it's kind of like a god to them.

I love how Gnolls are described in "Volo's Guide to Monsters".

Here is a small flavor text that can be found in the chapter about Gnolls:

INSIDE THE MIND OF A GNOLL

From a journal recovered from a slain cultist of Yeenoghu:

Day 2: The subject continues to growl and struggle, despite
the removal of its arms and legs. I will let it starve for
a few days to weaken its mental fortitude. If the gnoll does
have some sort of tie to the Abyss, I must keep my focus
on exploiting that link, even though the creature's mind
might remain aware.

Day 6: No appreciable loss of vigor.

Day 11: Still no appreciable loss of vigor.

Day 13: Ritual must commence tomorrow despite subject's
high level of mental activity.

Day 14: The ritual brought our minds together. I was assailed
simultaneously by hunger and rage, as if some great
force from beyond had reached out and commanded me
only to kill and eat. Though it lasted only a short time, it
was a terrifying feeling to my human mind, but in a way it
was also comforting to feel myself a part of a much greater
design. What I felt was not the hunger of one beast, but
the hunger of all of them.

Day 15: Used the ritual to join our minds again. This
time I realized where the hunger began. I was consumed
by the infinite hunger and boundless rage of great Yeenoghu,
and I knew it could never be sated. Yet I felt driven to
feed my lord. I killed and devoured a goat while linked to
the gnoll's mind. I had set aside a knife for the deed but
killed it with my bare hands instead. The flesh was warm. I
fed myself, I fed Yeenoghu.

Day 16: Third use of ritual. As my connection to my lord
deepens, I leave my old concerns behind. His hunger is all
that matters. It is greater than me; it is greater than us all.
It is His mark. He made us. He drives us. He eats what
we eat. He kills what we kill. He will come if we eat well.
He will come if we kill well. He will come if we eat well. He
will come if we kill well. We will kill and He will eat, and we
shall be He and He shall be we, never alone, never afraid,
never hungry.

So yeah, if just one gnoll (may it even be the pack leader) is subjected to the will of the Absolute, imho the other gnolls of the pack should still have their connection to the Demon Lord Yeenoghu.

veteran
veteran
Ankhegs

Like not that we have to find a full suit of badass plate armor in the first small town we reach, but you know, just the party getting gutted by an ankheg somewhere near the river?

Those are the kind of BG1 call backs I hope they make more of. I feel like the flayer vs gith, starting out with imps, having a vampire be the second person we meet, goblins, these are all BG2 call backs from the game set in the city of coin. This game should be focusing more on the BG1 call backs I think.

Kobolds, Xvarts, but you know, more stuff from BG1. For most I think BG2 is probably more what they remember, so seeing the monsters from BG1 again would be a nice touch. I was pleased to see Gnolls and Skeletons and Spiders for sure, plaudits for at least making sure those were up front hehe, but definitely an Ankheg and maybe a Wyvern? since we know which sort of monstrous creatures we might expect to run into in this part of the sword coast from the first game. I'd rather they juice it like that rather than homebrewing mini-boss gobbos. It'd be funny if we ran into the lone surviving Xvart who escaped "the battle of fireball run" to found a new colony, that's only just now getting back on its feet lol. This time it should be on a cliff near the cave of Ursa, so the party can shockwave a dozen Xvarts into oblivion. I don't know, but yeah, more of the classics

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard