Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#784031 29/07/21 05:55 PM
Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys, since I bought BG3 EA I have a problem with Gale and I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Gale literally doesn't have any extra dialogue for hours. I'm doing everything to gain his sympathy - for example, saving Mikron and Arabella or saving Sazza from getting shot. Gale's attitude is set to "good friend".

After X hours, I was finally able to unlock his request for finding artifacts. I'm giving them to him... and still nothing.
Did I miss something? I have never seen the Weave scene.
And this is my 4th time playing EA.

Any ideas?

veteran
veteran
Try to talk with him allways you get to camp, sometimes you can block out companion by accepting someone else special dialog

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
The problem is - lately I'm always starting conversations with Gale, and I'm overusing long rests (I am long resting with every occasion I get because I really want to see the weave scene).

Thank you for responding.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Padzi
Guys, since I bought BG3 EA I have a problem with Gale and I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Gale literally doesn't have any extra dialogue for hours. I'm doing everything to gain his sympathy - for example, saving Mikron and Arabella or saving Sazza from getting shot. Gale's attitude is set to "good friend".

After X hours, I was finally able to unlock his request for finding artifacts. I'm giving them to him... and still nothing.

Any ideas?

The key to romancing Gale is to get him to relax completely. Using your hands firmly grasp the area around his neck, and while squeezing proceed to shake him vigorously for between 5-8 minutes. At the end of this time Gale should be completely limp (stress-free) and ready for Romance.

Enjoy!

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Wild thought: ... did he died?
Maybe you need to get him back to progress. o_O

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

You should never actually kill Gale - causes too many problems. Just knock him out.

Then take all his stuff.

Then leave.

Blackheifer

Any ideas?

I experienced the same thing the first time I decided I wanted Gale in my party. He had no new dialogue the whole game and it was like he wasn't even there.

I ended up figuring out a way that works for me to trigger the scene without fail, but I play a specific way so I'll try to keep it general.

1) Do the Grove One Step at a Time: If you have multiple companions, you're going to want to long rest after every story beat until there's a camp night were no one has anytihng to say.
a) Once that happens, then you want to do two of the following: Spare Sazza, Save Mirkon from the Harpies, Save Arabella. If you kept Aradin and Zevlor from fighting when you first entered the Grove that counts. In older patches, persuading Nettie to give you the antidote counted, but I'm not sure. There may be other opportunities within the Grove, but basically you want to get Gale approval to Medium.
b) Once he's at Medium, you should get his "I Trust You" scene. Farm more approval until you do.
c) After that scene, if you're lucky, you can get the Weave scene the next camp night if no other companion has a camp scene. This is what usually happens for me. The Weave scene is required to romance Gale at the party.
- If you don't get the Weave scene after, farm approval. Generally, the other companion's cutscenes seem to mess with Gale's scene for whatever reason. You can finally leave the Grove, but know that the other character's will start to have more cutscenes once you start wandering around.

If you're trying to romance Gale for the first time, try to get the Weave scene before you leave the Grove. Once you get comfortably intuitively maneuvering through the weird camp system, you can romance him at a slower pace. Make sure to get him two items though - that's all I'll say on that.

Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Yes, he did.

Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN

Any ideas?

I experienced the same thing the first time I decided I wanted Gale in my party. He had no new dialogue the whole game and it was like he wasn't even there.

I ended up figuring out a way that works for me to trigger the scene without fail, but I play a specific way so I'll try to keep it general.

1) Do the Grove One Step at a Time: If you have multiple companions, you're going to want to long rest after every story beat until there's a camp night were no one has anytihng to say.
a) Once that happens, then you want to do two of the following: Spare Sazza, Save Mirkon from the Harpies, Save Arabella. If you kept Aradin and Zevlor from fighting when you first entered the Grove that counts. In older patches, persuading Nettie to give you the antidote counted, but I'm not sure. There may be other opportunities within the Grove, but basically you want to get Gale approval to Medium.
b) Once he's at Medium, you should get his "I Trust You" scene. Farm more approval until you do.
c) After that scene, if you're lucky, you can get the Weave scene the next camp night if no other companion has a camp scene. This is what usually happens for me. The Weave scene is required to romance Gale at the party.
- If you don't get the Weave scene after, farm approval. Generally, the other companion's cutscenes seem to mess with Gale's scene for whatever reason. You can finally leave the Grove, but know that the other character's will start to have more cutscenes once you start wandering around.

If you're trying to romance Gale for the first time, try to get the Weave scene before you leave the Grove. Once you get comfortably intuitively maneuvering through the weird camp system, you can romance him at a slower pace. Make sure to get him two items though - that's all I'll say on that.

Ok, those are great tips. Thank you.
In my case (in current play) I only did not kept Aradin and Zevlor from fighting.
Also I already had "I trust you" scene BUT it's been hours and the weave scene did not apper. Besides I'm giving him the artifacts.

I should come back to grove because I've finished killing goblins, but I'm not going to. I'm going to do everything else on the map and I'll see.

Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so I finished my playthrough of patch 5, and I think my Gale is broken (or I am doing something terrbibly wrong).

Gale through the entire playthrough only had like 2 or 3 scenes, and he asked for the artifacts only 2 times. I had two more in the inventory, and he wouldn't take them. I don't have any dialogues regarding them and when we were passing near them Gale's dialogue that he is interested in them also didn't trigger. Gale hates my playthrough.

enthusiast
enthusiast
here's how I deal with Gale's romance routine. Hope this will help you.
These are the important encounters (all in the grove) that can grant Gale's approval to the next level:

1. stand in front of the crossbow and pass the persuasion/intimidation check to protect goblin Sazza from getting killed.
2. save Arabella from Kagha successfully.
3. let Nettie poisons you and convince her to give you the antidote.
4. save the tiefling child from harpies.

there are other two encounters that do not give approval breakthrough but are still required:
1. rescue Lae'zel from the cage without violence
2. use persuasion check to end the feud between Zevlor and Aradin.

5 Gale scenes mark the progress of his approval. you need to trigger them in a long rest every time you get an approval upgrade:

1."go to hell" scene
2. mirror image scene
3. artifact requirement scene
4. the weave scene
5. lost Mystra scene

Here's a detailed walkthrough explanation:
After recruit Gale into your party, rescue Laz'zel peacefully as described above(the deception check seems to be the only one). have 2 long rests before entering the druid grove gate (you can have your second one after the gate fight). You should be able to trigger the "go to hell" scene and mirror image scene. Make sure Aradin survives the gate fight.
Enter the grove and solve the feud between Aradin and Zevlor. Don's do your second long rest after entering the grove bc once you enter the gate, the Sazza scene will trigger. After you come back, Sazza will be killed.
After ending the feud at the gate, go to Sazza's prison and do what has been mentioned above. Now you should be getting "medium" approval from Gale. long rest, trigger the artifact requirement scene.
You may recruit Wyll after the artifact requirement scene. I don't recommend doing it before the scene.
Go to the ritual site, trigger Arabella's parent's scene. you don't need to talk to them to trigger the quest. Just go to the chamber and save Arabella. Now you should get "high" approval from Gale. (PS: take Wyll and Shadowheart with you so you can get 2 inspiration points in one quest. smile )
Now you probably need 4 extra long rest to get the Weave scene. In my playthrough, Astarian has 1 special talk with you, Lae'zel has 1 conversation, Wyll has 2 special conversations. Then the Weave scene should trigger.
After the Weave scene, pick one of the encounters I mentioned above, you should get "extremely high" approval. long rest, you should get the "lost Mystra" scene.

tips & advice
1. you need to do your long rest after each level of approval to trigger the scene in order. If you miss one, you won't trigger the rest scenes afterwards. So don't do anything that can get Gale's approval before you trigger the current approval scene. (recruit Wyll can give approval to Gale but that one does not mess up the routine).
2. Giving artifacts to Gale will grant huge approval to him, which will mess up the routine. Therefore, no need to give him artifacts. You can get all you need in the grove like what I mentioned above. After the "lost Mystra" scene, you can give him artifacts freely or do anything he approves to make our lovely wizard happy smile. BTW don't let him get close to Silvanus idol before finishing the routine. Otherwise, you will waste one long rest of him talking about the idol.
3.The minicamp is added in patch 5 so I don't know if Gale's scenes trigger well in minicamps. I did the weave scene and scenes before in the wildness camp. The "lost Mystra" scene can trigger no matter where you do your long rest.

Hope this will help you get what you want from our lovely wizard Gale. If you have other questions, I'd like to answer them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This worked for me in Patch 4

STEP ONE
Recruit Gale Only - Go to camp and talk to him = Go to Hell scene
Note -- I also dealt with the fisherman and the gkaik before camping, because they disappear if you camp. Plus Gale has unique dialog here if he is the only one in your party.

STEP TWO
Save Laezel and use persuade on tieflings
Agree to recruit Laezel
Win Fight at Gate with Aradin (have fun keeping all the Harpers alive if you are not a healer --- because you have not recruited Shadowheart yet)
Stop Zevlor/Aradin fight using persuade/intimidation
Talk to Zevlor and agree to help tieflings.
Go to camp- Mirror Scene.
Go ahead and talk to both Gale and La’Zael here for background stuff – good time to

STEP 3
Go directly to Sazza (goblin in cage)
Save Sazza - step in front of crossbow.
Use persuade.
Talk to Gale for Crossbow covno
Go to camp = Soup + magic items conversation

STEP 4
Go to Arabella’s parents
Agree to help Arabella
Save Arabella using persuasion or nature
Talk to Gale about being young
Talk To Arabellas parents
Go to camp. Talk to Gale = Weave Scene
If scene doesn't show up, go save the Astronomer at druid camp from the bugbear (ie, if you need a little bump in approval ). NOTE -- do NOT visit Nettie because that triggers Raphael scene and screws up the cue and can cause it to bug---plus it is better to have everyone for this scene for their reactions anyway.

During the Weave scene, you can initiate the romance --- and are locked in! 😊

Now go recruit your other characters and try to role play naturally. Whole sequence takes about 20-30 minutes, so not so bad. Hopefully will be fixed before game release to all be more natural.

NOTE --- do not talk to ANYONE else in the druid camp when following these steps (except the shop keep if you want to trade) --- Gale gushes approval at almost everything you do if you are good aligned char.

Basically --- If he busts his nut for you too early, no weave scene.

You can also demur on locking in the romance at the weave scene and bring it up later (I personally prefer to initiate romance during the later “I’ve Lost”scene). The key is getting the damned weave scene to trigger in the first place! Good luck!

Last edited by timebean; 15/08/21 03:24 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by timebean
This worked for me in Patch 4

STEP ONE
Recruit Gale Only - Go to camp and talk to him = Go to Hell scene
You can have a full party for this scene, only not Lae'zel, because if she is in the party you get her scenes instead. I don't think these are part of any romance anyway, rather Gale or Lae'zel are there to explain to the player that "we haven't started to transform yet, something unusual about the tadpoles".

I think Gale conversation have the problem that they seem to have low priority in the camping talks queue. So out of curiosity I've run a quick test with spamming rest on patch 5. Basically, every time Gale's approval changed I'd hit long rest until he got a camp scene. No adventuring in-between. On medium approval Shadowheart got two talks, Laezel got two, Wyll and Astarion got one before Gale got his weave scene. I eventually got all the dialogues, including the romantic talks, out if him that way. I guess if someone wants the most Gale content without chilling at the camp all the time, they'd have travel with him alone.

Originally Posted by ash elemental
I think Gale conversation have the problem that they seem to have low priority in the camping talks queue. So out of curiosity I've run a quick test with spamming rest on patch 5. Basically, every time Gale's approval changed I'd hit long rest until he got a camp scene. No adventuring in-between. On medium approval Shadowheart got two talks, Laezel got two, Wyll and Astarion got one before Gale got his weave scene. I eventually got all the dialogues, including the romantic talks, out if him that way. I guess if someone wants the most Gale content without chilling at the camp all the time, they'd have travel with him alone.

That's what I discovered as well. If you travel with additional companions, you will have to see all their scenes up to that point in the game before Gale's scenes will play out. But it does also feel like the farther you get in the game, the more it feels like his weave scene will never occur after a certain point. That's why I don't leave the grove till I get it.

Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys, you are awesome.
When the new patch comes out I'll try your advice.
I truly hate that we need a whole manual to be able to romance Gale.
It's so... frustrating.

Guys, you are awesome.
It's so... frustrating.

not only him, but be warned the next patch may change how things work with him and other companions, so these guides may not work as it works now.

Padzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Avallonkao
Guys, you are awesome.
It's so... frustrating.

not only him, but be warned the next patch may change how things work with him and other companions, so these guides may not work as it works now.

...Ok, you are 100% right.
We'll see.
((My only problem romancing the companions was with Gale. Everyone else was working just fine.))

A
stranger
stranger
A
If you get off track, you can get back on track when you try to read The Necromancy of Thay. If you give it to Gale, the next long rest will be him absorbing the Weave of the book, and then you can give him artefacts even if you missed go to hell, mirror image, and asking for artefacts. Then assuming you have high enough approval with Gale, you will eventually get "the weave" and "lost Mystra" scenes. These only trigger if no one else, including the dog and the owlbear, have anything new to say.

stranger
stranger
I read gale as shadow heart, hmm never mind.

Link Copied to Clipboard