Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
liuhal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
The rule set and character creation fells like d and d but the spells and gear don't fell like a baldur's gate game. Some of the d and d spells are there but a lot are missing and the non magical gear is just meh and the magical gear is even worse. Where are the rings of protection ac bracers boots of speed neckless of spell casting. What we are getting is a of if your hp is below a % you get a bonus it doesn't fell like a baldr's gate game.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
They need to make magic items rarer so you feel a sense of accomplishemnt when you get them. In DOS2 magic items grew on trees and where everywhere.

veteran
veteran
I agree. Items are mostly WTF in this game and does not feel like BG/DnD items.

They should really read the DMG.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 31/07/21 06:36 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
+1

We go from basic gear straight to uncommon and +1 gear. We skip masterwork all together and additional traveling gear like grappling hook, climbing kit, flint tinder, & whatever other tools/common stuff.

Game doesn't feel that scrappy/grungy in the beginning, I wake up and I automatically have everything I need. No picking up improvised weapons, smashing aliens with rocks, sticks, broken objects to survive escaping the ship. We do get alien bombs and whatnot, pretty cool. Just wish it was more towards that theme on the ship.

Last edited by fallenj; 31/07/21 06:56 AM.
W
W
Not a fan of a lot of the gear so far, many of the stats and effects on items just feels weird and arbitrary.
With that said, i still think there are way to much magical items strewn around. Finding a magical artifact, should be a big occasion.

E
addict
addict
E
Having just started a new run on BG1 for the first time in years, I read this post with fresh eyes and I totally agree.

Though dated, BG1 still does a wonderful job of creating a coherent world with a very natural progression of your PC. It takes time to find decent gear and the sense of reward is much more palpable for it. Sadly I don’t think we are likely to see much in the way of the more ‘mundane’ special items because Larian don’t do ‘mundane’.

old hand
old hand
This should probably be in feedback not general.

Last edited by fallenj; 31/07/21 08:16 AM.
veteran
veteran
Itimization is way better then D:OS2 was, but still not great.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fallenj
+1

We go from basic gear straight to uncommon and +1 gear. We skip masterwork all together and additional traveling gear like grappling hook, climbing kit, flint tinder, & whatever other tools/common stuff.

Game doesn't feel that scrappy/grungy in the beginning, I wake up and I automatically have everything I need. No picking up improvised weapons, smashing aliens with rocks, sticks, broken objects to survive escaping the ship. We do get alien bombs and whatnot, pretty cool. Just wish it was more towards that theme on the ship.
+1 to OP and to this post.

Far too often Larian appears to just want to shoehorn things from their D:OS games into this game, from equipment and items to character models and the environment and a whole lot more. For all the money they're spending on this game, it's really lame that this is where they want to cut corners to try and save a few bucks.

Last edited by kanisatha; 31/07/21 01:52 PM.
old hand
old hand
+1

There's a good point here. This may not be very related to the topic, but if this game is like the DOS games in that it allows you to use a lot of things for combat purposes (shoes, chairs, broomsticks, etc.), it would be fun if sometimes you are forced to scrounge up things that can possibly be used as weapons to fight off enemies. This doesn't have to be at the beginning of the game, but the beginning would naturally be easiest because you tend to start the game with mostly nothing. If it's at some point midway through the game, you'd have to create a situation in which your party lose all equipment, like getting kidnapped and imprisoned. It even makes your playthrough more personal because not all players would choose the same things as weapons - I would pick up that chair at the corner of the room, but another player would probably go for that broomstick under the table, and so on. Sometimes I wish Larian would be a bit more creative with their own systems.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 31/07/21 02:23 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
I
old hand
old hand
I
Keep in mind that between BG1/2 and now there were several edition changes.
In D&D 5E, the current one, magic items are much rarer and are even considered optional while in previous edition higher levels assumed that you had magic items.
Also, masterwork items do not exist in 5E.

R
old hand
old hand
R
The game must somehow reward players for exploration/quests. Ordinary items as rewards are quite poor, especially since the weapons/armor do not differ in stats.

S
S
Larian's homebrew rules suck. It is no exception on itemization either.

S
S
Originally Posted by liuhal
The rule set and character creation fells like d and d but the spells and gear don't fell like a baldur's gate game. Some of the d and d spells are there but a lot are missing and the non magical gear is just meh and the magical gear is even worse. Where are the rings of protection ac bracers boots of speed neckless of spell casting. What we are getting is a of if your hp is below a % you get a bonus it doesn't fell like a baldr's gate game.

Go, play Solasta and support the developer Tactical Adventures. Solasta has much meaningful and faithful loot and itemization.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ixal
Keep in mind that between BG1/2 and now there were several edition changes.
In D&D 5E, the current one, magic items are much rarer and are even considered optional while in previous edition higher levels assumed that you had magic items.
Also, masterwork items do not exist in 5E.

NO! Bad so bad, every time I bring something up it always seems like 5e nerfed it/removed it, starting to really hate this edition.

Originally Posted by Try2Handing
+1

There's a good point here. This may not be very related to the topic, but if this game is like the DOS games in that it allows you to use a lot of things for combat purposes (shoes, chairs, broomsticks, etc.), it would be fun if sometimes you are forced to scrounge up things that can possibly be used as weapons to fight off enemies. This doesn't have to be at the beginning of the game, but the beginning would naturally be easiest because you tend to start the game with mostly nothing. If it's at some point midway through the game, you'd have to create a situation in which your party lose all equipment, like getting kidnapped and imprisoned. It even makes your playthrough more personal because not all players would choose the same things as weapons - I would pick up that chair at the corner of the room, but another player would probably go for that broomstick under the table, and so on. Sometimes I wish Larian would be a bit more creative with their own systems.
Ya, for sure, starting or being put into a position like that puts more emphasis on progression and earning your gear/rewards. Also makes combat feel more heated or intense.

They're plenty of different weapons/gadgets to play around with and super soaking the game with magic gear could take away from trying those out also. 3.5 Weapon List (was going to link 5e but just looks like a nerfed version) Looking at the list I'd be more inclined to see a Larian edition for weapon types since 5e seems small.

Is cold Iron even a thing anymore? Seen silver, there used to be several damage types that over came damage reduction. This is all I found Cold Iron in forgotten realms

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by sinogy
Go, play Solasta and support the developer Tactical Adventures. Solasta has much meaningful and faithful loot and itemization.
Eh, I wouldn’t say that Solasta itemisation was it’s strong suit. Not bad, but not outstanding either. And this is also where we need to remember that we have unfinished Act1 of BG3, not 1.0 release.

NO! Bad so bad, every time I bring something up it always seems like 5e nerfed it/removed it, starting to really hate this edition.
Huh. 3,5 is a bit too much for my taste, but 5e does look quite plain in comparison.

addict
addict
Not sure anything comes close to the items of BG2.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

veteran
veteran
yea but then they'd have to get voice acting for all of those items, because you KNOW that streamers aren't going to want to read that. wink

veteran
veteran
...fuck 'em?

Actually a ME style narration of history would be pretty rad

Last edited by Sozz; 01/08/21 12:13 AM.
addict
addict
Neither BG I nor II had a Ring of Shooting Stars. I have wanted one of those ever since I read about them in the Enchant an Item spell description in the original AD&D Player's Handbook. Although, I would hate to have hurt a kindly Ki-Rin in order to get the ring made ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard