Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2020
S
sinogy Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Well I am gonna say it. People who cheer for patch5 are just devoted fanbois.

What do you really have? Some dice rolls, you can save Shadowheart at the start and some meaningless minor things here and there like another useless interpretation of an actual DnD item . These are what we get, aside from new bunch of bugs, after months of nothingness.

There are so many demands which have real weight from players like being more faithful to actual 5e rules but who cares because we have an uglier Minthara now, right?!

Last edited by sinogy; 03/08/21 12:19 AM.
Joined: Sep 2017
veteran
Online Happy
veteran
Joined: Sep 2017
I'm sorry to hear it doesn't meet your expectations. Feel free to express what you'd like to see more focus on. However I'd like to warn you that coming in guns blazing with strong emotive words like that will more often than not result in... Less pleasant replies. I'd encourage you to temper your choice of words, then perhaps people will be more prone to hear what you try to say, rather than it being clouded by momentary frustration.

Patch 5 had quite a beefy roster of changes, but lots might not be evident at first glance. If you haven't, there are some beefy patch notes to read through if you're curious enough to look through it.

Joined: Apr 2020
Location: Boston , MA
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2020
Location: Boston , MA
Patch 5 is the best patch so far and the light at the end of the tunnel that Larian may implement more meaningful feedback. They may not have a vision, but they are listening.

I get a sense that there is a lot that will be revealed at the 1.0 release, so there is that hope as well.

But yes, Minthara looks terrible now.

Joined: Jan 2021
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jan 2021
Originally Posted by sinogy
What do you really have? Some dice rolls, you can save Shadowheart at the start and some meaningless minor things here and there like another useless interpretation of an actual DnD item . These are what we get, aside from new bunch of bugs, after months of nothingness.
If you read the patch notes you can see that patch 5 had a lot of content changes. Links are nice.

Originally Posted by sinogy
There are so many demands which have real weight from players like being more faithful to actual 5e rules but who cares because we have an uglier Minthara now, right?!
There were changes in patch 5 that brought the game closer to 5e rules-as-written, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm glad Larian listened to feedback and changed jump/disengage, backstab, etc. And, I'd be even more grateful if Larian continues to improve gameplay.

Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2021
Location: Austin, TX
If Patch 5 was a woman I would marry it.

And you know what Irenicus? Maybe Minthara is too busy to conform to your outdated beauty standards!

She is a modern woman, with a busy schedule and shorter hair just makes more sense for hygiene reasons when you live with Goblins.

(For the non-english speakers the above is all tongue in cheek - that is I am kidding)

Except I would totally marry Patch 5. I was serious about that.


Blackheifer
Joined: Apr 2020
Location: Boston , MA
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2020
Location: Boston , MA
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
If Patch 5 was a woman I would marry it.

And you know what Irenicus? Maybe Minthara is too busy to conform to your outdated beauty standards!

She is a modern woman, with a busy schedule and shorter hair just makes more sense for hygiene reasons when you live with Goblins.

(For the non-english speakers the above is all tongue in cheek - that is I am kidding)

Except I would totally marry Patch 5. I was serious about that.

lolol.

Joined: Jul 2021
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jul 2021
I would agree that I was disappointed that patch 5 didn't offer more, but (can't reach... aside) it's a lot more polished. Being able to free Shadowheart is a big help on the Nautiloid.

Replaying I found better ways to do things, better ways to break things and I found the kua toa area I'd previously missed.

Against that, I am not happy with the cap. I was capped before I'd explored half the game, so there is a feeling of "meh, why bother doing this again if I get no XP."

That's not to say I'm asking for level 5, because there's the whole game balance issue, but getting just short instead of capped halfway to 5 would encourage me and players like me to explore more. Even allowing another patch might require starting all over again...

Am I happy with patch 5? Yes. Do I feel like it's more of the same, because the core content is the same? Also yes.

Joined: Oct 2020
H
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
H
Joined: Oct 2020
Minthara is way better now. more unique, more styled, and the graphic result is cleaner.


If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Location: Belfast
It's a patch that made me rebuy the game:
- expanded skill check system - good
- Point & Click barks - superfluous, but welcome
- enemies actually using skills and items
- minicamps
- DISENGAGE - amazing
- overall combat rebalance - with nerf to barrelmancy and pushing (was it this patch? meh)

so overall good stuff. Didn't make BG3 game of the year material, but it's all chunky changes for the better.

Joined: Feb 2021
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Feb 2021
I once said that if LarianStudios is as dedicated to polish as my instincts tell me - the game will only be finished in the year 2023.

What are you surprised that this patch did not had Act 2 within it? Don't be! ^_^
The only thing I hope is that realworld ideologies won't infest the game.
That is my only worry.

Faerun must stay Faerun.


[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] <- *click*
Joined: Oct 2020
S
sinogy Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by KeinSklave
I once said that if LarianStudios is as dedicated to polish as my instincts tell me - the game will only be finished in the year 2023.

What are you surprised that this patch did not had Act 2 within it? Don't be! ^_^
The only thing I hope is that realworld ideologies won't infest the game.
That is my only worry.

Faerun must stay Faerun.

I have zero faith on real world issues won't infest the game.

For other things, I would like to see real changes to impact the gameplay like
-removing that "everyone has vertical advantage on range attacks"
-introducing real tactical choices based on character archetypes rather than heavily emphasised environmental attributes
-introducing meaningful items and crafting as well (playing this game sometimes feels like wondering in a junkyard, it is full of items but most of them are useless junk)
-implementing monster stats and abilities as they are written in 5e (remember we have super jumpy minotaurs and poison spitting phase spiders?)
-less Larian homebrew rules and more actual 5e rules (my 8 intellect battle master fighter casts goddamn spells out of bloody scrolls)
-being able to form a custom single play party which's absence is a huge blow on my expectations about this game
-a less buggy game (I know it is EA but how do we bloody test things if every third step is buggy af)
-more customization options for char creation (remember the default male elf?)
-less DOS2 reminders (I mean c'mon it is so obvious that even tadpole powers are like copy of that special godly powers from DOS2)
-UI changes to make it practical ( remember that party chaining? and also directly taken from DOS2)

But no, these kind of things are not even being mentioned. What do we have, instead? Mintara now is short haired and has a man's face! Oh what a big accomplishment. It is so big some people literally say they would marry path-5 and I am being educated by the moderator for calling those some people fanboys!
Patch-5 is total disappointment after so long being silent. Even, its announcement was a disappointment. What was that live action frp session bs about? If I wanted to play a tabletop game I'd have played one with my friends. We just watched some Larian employees play a frp/cosplay game live for almost 3 hours and after that Swen introduced the patch-5 changes in a 6-7 mins long PRERECORDED video! Do you remember at some point he said "I am not gonna go through the list of everything, there is just too much" in a PRERECORDED video? I laughed so hard! The man had 3 hours, 3 goddamn hours to introduce the new patch!
Do you know what it means? It means patch-5 has only 6-7 mins worth of content to be introduced.
It is not an opinion. It is how it feels for me and I strongly believe it is the fact because I have been playing the bloody patch for days, most proly even more than Larian testers.

Last edited by sinogy; 03/08/21 11:39 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
sinogy Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Ackadia
I would agree that I was disappointed that patch 5 didn't offer more, but (can't reach... aside) it's a lot more polished. Being able to free Shadowheart is a big help on the Nautiloid.

Replaying I found better ways to do things, better ways to break things and I found the kua toa area I'd previously missed.

Against that, I am not happy with the cap. I was capped before I'd explored half the game, so there is a feeling of "meh, why bother doing this again if I get no XP."

That's not to say I'm asking for level 5, because there's the whole game balance issue, but getting just short instead of capped halfway to 5 would encourage me and players like me to explore more. Even allowing another patch might require starting all over again...

Am I happy with patch 5? Yes. Do I feel like it's more of the same, because the core content is the same? Also yes.

Why not asking for level5? It is a perfectly valid request. You paid for EA at full release cost and you want to see and test what is to come. Why is this not a valid expectation?
Plus, what game balance are you talking about? We have goblins with orc stats, poison spitting zapping phase spiders and long jumping minotaur!

Last edited by sinogy; 04/08/21 02:54 AM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
sinogy Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Wormerine
It's a patch that made me rebuy the game:
- expanded skill check system - good
- Point & Click barks - superfluous, but welcome
- enemies actually using skills and items
- minicamps
- DISENGAGE - amazing
- overall combat rebalance - with nerf to barrelmancy and pushing (was it this patch? meh)

so overall good stuff. Didn't make BG3 game of the year material, but it's all chunky changes for the better.

I am not saying patch5 is bad. I am saying it is disappointing. It is disappointing because it offers too little after a very long period of nothingness.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
sinogy Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Hachina
Minthara is way better now. more unique, more styled, and the graphic result is cleaner.

I disagree. She looks more like a regular grumpy woman with a bad taste for aesthetics who you can see everyday on a sidewalk now.

and her new look has zero effect on gameplay. I am happy it satisfied you in whatever way tho...

Last edited by sinogy; 04/08/21 02:42 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5