T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by backstabbath
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
It's minor in comparison to people literally getting killed unnecessarily, but it's still a problem... and it scares off possible newcomers to the hobby.

Do you know that, or are you just saying it? Because I never once heard someone say they don't like Conan the Barbarian because of the word "barbarian".

The entire point of the term "Barbarian" is because he came from nothing and is a insult leveled at him. It's not an expression of his skill. It's an expression of his origins. And it's a "rags to riches" type story.
You didn't answer my question.

Conan the Barbarian is the key thing people point to as calling the class that. But day to day speech of "Barbaric" or "Barbarian" and phrases like "Barbarians at the Gates" is largely insulting. Even if the use of the word has started to become less in recent decades, it is still actively used as that in things like political speeches and the like. And forgive me if I feel the existence of certain fiction does not outweigh the actual use of the word in real life.

Also, it's just conceptually limiting to be honest.

There's no reason you can't have a person from a more advanced culture who lives with all the available amenities and comforts and perhaps even coming from a comfortable, noble lifestyle who has that same skill set and approach to things. And again, yeah, you can fluff it that way already, but it is very irritating that all the imagery of the class bends toward the 18th / 19th century concept of the Noble Savage which is a lot about "oh look how unspoiled these people are by civilization and how close to nature they are, blah blah... and was used for literal centuries as a way to condescend to people"

Howard almost certainly was reacting to things he'd heard in his life, as he apparently experienced a lot of anti-Irish prejudice and it basically comes across as "you call me a barbarian, fine then."

But everything that falls under that word can be easily used with the much more neutral "Outlander" background and the skill set referred to as "Warrior" encouraging a much broader spectrums of backgrounds and upbringings for people in the class.

For example, a knight templar-inspired Warrior who summons guardian angels to empower him as a variant of the Totem warrior... which, btw, is a word drawn from an actual living religion currently being practiced.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 03/08/21 08:01 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Conan the Barbarian is the key thing people point to as calling the class that. But day to day speech of "Barbaric" or "Barbarian" and phrases like "Barbarians at the Gates" is largely insulting. Even if the use of the word has started to become less in recent decades, it is still actively used as that in things like political speeches and the like. And forgive me if I feel the existence of certain fiction does not outweigh the actual use of the word in real life.

Also, it's just conceptually limiting to be honest.

There's no reason you can't have a person from a more advanced culture who lives with all the available amenities and comforts and perhaps even coming from a comfortable, noble lifestyle who has that same skill set and approach to things. And again, yeah, you can fluff it that way already, but it is very irritating that all the imagery of the class bends toward the 18th / 19th century concept of the Noble Savage which is a lot about "oh look how unspoiled these people are by civilization and how close to nature they are, blah blah... and was used for literal centuries as a way to condescend to people"

Howard almost certainly was reacting to things he'd heard in his life, as he apparently experienced a lot of anti-Irish prejudice and it basically comes across as "you call me a barbarian, fine then."

But everything that falls under that word can be easily used with the much more neutral "Outlander" background and the skill set referred to as "Warrior" encouraging a much broader spectrums of backgrounds and upbringings for people in the class.

For example, a knight templar-inspired Warrior who summons guardian angels to empower him as a variant of the Totem warrior... which, btw, is a word drawn from an actual living religion currently being practiced.

You still didn't answer my question.

Do you KNOW that the tropes you're talking about are driving away prospective players, or are you just saying that because you heard it said by others?

T
addict
addict
T
So if I told you that Drow are not necessarily evil and if one simply chose not to worship Lolth they wouldn't be predisposed to evil at all, you'd be totally cool with how Drow are presented, like you're cool with how demons are?

EDIT: It should be said through that Asmodeus isn't a Celestial and never was. At least in 2e, he was one of the serpents which created the universe and posed as a celestial for a time after his fall. And your suggestion that a demon may transform into something else if its alignment changes is not, as far as I'm aware, how it works in Forgotten Realms.

I was speaking of Zariel.

And yes, and as far as I know that's the ongoing plan WotC has. I saw an article that depicted at least two more societies of drow that are not Lloth worshippers and it looks like RA Salvatore will be writing a novel featuring one of those societies.

It is the difference of acknowledging terrible people and terrible societies exist from the practice of stating "oh that's just how it is"

I'm not asking to changing Lloth.

Lloth is a homicidal freak... and the people that follow her are no better.

But drow are getting the nuance fine. Would be nice to see similar nuance in the orcs and goblins. And they do in other settings... it's just the supposed flagship setting of Faerun... excuse me Sword Coast (we haven't seen much outside the Sword Coast in ages) that still lacks a bit of nuance for those species.

Like, I'd love to see an entire adventure set dealing with Maglubiyet's desire to become the one-true god.... and maybe have some other goblins and hobgoblins come out of that.

There's LOTS of empty space in the Sword Coast, plenty of space for a reasonable society of goblinoids to rise up without being immediately hostile.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 03/08/21 08:07 PM.
T
addict
addict
T

Do you KNOW that the tropes you're talking about are driving away prospective players, or are you just saying that because you heard it said by others?

Myself directly, with Barbarian, nope. I have experienced some condescension and been referred to by equivalent terms in other languages while living in other countries (fortunately a rare occurence) and have avoided Barbarian even when the mechanics match my concepts because the concept of the noble savage does not match what I want and because it does not the culture I have in mind for that culture.

Which is going get "Well that's just your personal experience" and dismissed.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 03/08/21 08:30 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B

Myself directly, with Barbarian, nope. I have experienced some condescension and been referred to by equivalent terms in other languages while living in other countries (fortunately a rare occurence) and have avoided Barbarian even when the mechanics match my concepts because the concept of the noble savage does not match what I want and because it does not the culture I have in mind for that culture.

Which is going get "Well that's just your personal experience" and dismissed.

So if you don't know that these tropes drive anyone away from the hobby, including you yourself who, it sounds, has a particular aversion to the term "barbarian", what makes you so certain that there truly exist potential players who would be players were it not for word usage such as "barbarian"?

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KeinSklave
Any type of reality is probably racist by nature.

The SUPER CRINGE "racial tensions" we have in our real world, are a complete joke compared to what is going on in Faerun.
A realm that has actual different Races and not just different ethnicitys.
Racism is part of this worlds REALITY.

Removing it is the same as breaking the entire universe.
So no - the racism must stay.
Going Woke never ends well.

I expect the threadopener to already know what I have written and just being so bored that he wrote his openingpost just for trolling purposes.

Couple of things here.

There are very real issues in real life that should not be dismissed, are part of a long history of building tragedy on tragedy and are heavily tangled into everyday things. It's a serious subject matter.

The existence of different species of beings does not automatically justify people hating each other over differences.

And there is a big difference between representing the existence of racism within the fiction of the universe and building the game and setting itself embedded with concepts that support the sort of thinking that racism has merit.

Certainly you can have a long history of elves and orcs hating each other, that's historically represented in our own existence. But you shouldn't present it as a natural thing that is inherent or can never be amended. The gods in this setting are individuals and characters, not vaguely distant forces that may or may not exist... and the gods are not infallible. Corellon and Gruumsh pushing their personal grudge onto their followers as an example. Again, real life has lots of examples of a feud between two people resulting into a bloody conflict between groups.

The setting can have racism, especially if you want to explore that story arc, but it by no means needs it.

Plus you have things like the Barbarian class.

Barbarian is not a statement describing a skill set, it is a cultural term and it is a term used for a foreign culture in a demeaning fashion... and it's modern use is overwhelming that mode insult. Add to that the art for "Barbarian" is a mix of First Nations and Viking stereotypes along with a mix of other low tech cultures.

You can certainly have people with the skill-set of the class from any culture, not just low-tech cultures, and yes, you can build such a character if you want, but the fact that all the art and characterization of the class is that is an example of things that encourage real world bad behavior.

Likewise, the treatment as goblins and orcs as always savage or cowardly or sneaky or whatever else is equally damaging. It's the "this is their natural state" part of depictions that is harmful. It can be the culture that has developed, but it shouldn't be represented as the only possible way they could exist.

No, you can't control what is done in a home game, but you shouldn't encourage or turn a blind eye to such things, because some asshole will take it as tacit approval for such behavior.

"It's what my character would do" "my alignment says I should kill orcs" etc....

It's minor in comparison to people literally getting killed unnecessarily, but it's still a problem... and it scares off possible newcomers to the hobby.

When you publish, you have to be careful over how you might encourage people to behave.
Well written and i consent with this.
It shows the meta-level of thinkin outside the box and understands and explains what my poorly words cannot.
For that purpose i added the link to the article so many more will understand what is important and how to understand.
This will go into a philosophical debating too...
the reality we have in our so called "real world" outside of game is not totally disconnected from our game and fantasy worlds we build for pleasure.
Even that is allways a a part of our real world. Just because we call it a game does not mean its outside of the darker aspects of humanity which needs to be purged to make a better world for everyone.
Im totally aware what a game is a game and in the same moment its part of our world.
Understanding what parts in a game can be harmfull makes a difference.

It does not mean that the whole game or the whole Ruleset of DnD must be rewritten.
In time it will just seen in a nother way, as Salvatore explains for his plans to write the next storys about Drow Races.
He wont rewrite that past books. He himself didnt understand himself when he was younger but grew to understand.
If we are all 20 years older we wwill see the world in another way. Maybe you will even remember this small part in the forum one day, and evaluate it anew.

Ahh i hate not beeing native english speaking... so hard to bring my thoughts on keyboard. wink

Last edited by TheHero; 03/08/21 08:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Kingdom Come Deliverance = Racist because they didn't include black people in their game that represent history.

The Forgotten Realms = Racist because people reject drows and because drows reject anyone else.

The Middle Earth = Racist because elves hates dwarves and vice versa.

Snow White = the prince rape the princess because she was sleeping

The world was better when social media nerds were silent, even if obviously some things are better now.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/08/21 08:53 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
S
Hello cancer

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
What does evil even mean? Evil as defined by whom, because of what exactly? Good and evil are in reality subjective terms, and they have meant a whole lot of different things throughout history. It used to be that simply not worshipping the right god in the right way was a sign of blasphemy and thus evil. It still is like that in some parts of the world. Apostasy is punishable by death here and there.

If we're going to get this "real" in a gaming board discussion then we should probably not complete skate over what "evil" actually means. But this is usually done for expediency in any gaming context, because good just is, and so is evil. And that's okay, because playing a game usually means trying to work our way through a story rather than getting into the nitty-gritty of philosophy.

If we can arbitrarily define that all demons are just evil, whatever that word means, and a bunch of deities are simply good, whatever good means, then it hardly seems appropriate to get completely bent out of shape that, say, orcs are considered evil at a racial level. Whatever evil happens to arbitrarily have been defined to mean in that context, obviously.

To clarify, I do not mind drow or greenies or other races, humanoid or non-humanoid, getting fleshed out more. But the assertion that no single intelligent race can ever be described as "evil" from the perspective of the arbitrarily defined "goodly" races strikes me as forcibly anthropologizing the entire setting. And that's too much. We are not the only creature in the world, not are we so interesting that absolutely every story ever should only involve humans in every single role, even for the non-humans. It is okay for other beings to be something other than human and one would not expect non-humans to necessarily think, feel, or behave in ways that we humans would consider "good". Whatever that may be.

Short version, by all means do nuance the drow more, but please don't let it get to the point where butchering orcs is "evil" and only asking them over for a nice cup of tea and biscuits is "good". If I wanted that much social realism, I wouldn't be playing a fantasy RPG.

veteran
veteran
It is one of those "Red Hood is actually evil, and Bad Wolf is misunderstood" kind of things. Adults look at children's stuff, and think that they are smart by missing the point. Comeon, we are talking about a setting with clear Good, Neutral, and Evil, where you know it's Good, Neutral and Evil because Gods openly make that clear. It's cartoonishly silly.

veteran
veteran
it's time like these that i have to remember that people like polygon authors are a very small minority. And that's a very good thing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
What does evil even mean? Evil as defined by whom, because of what exactly? Good and evil are in reality subjective terms, and they have meant a whole lot of different things throughout history. It used to be that simply not worshipping the right god in the right way was a sign of blasphemy and thus evil. It still is like that in some parts of the world. Apostasy is punishable by death here and there.

If we're going to get this "real" in a gaming board discussion then we should probably not complete skate over what "evil" actually means. But this is usually done for expediency in any gaming context, because good just is, and so is evil. And that's okay, because playing a game usually means trying to work our way through a story rather than getting into the nitty-gritty of philosophy.

Well I would encourage you not to conflate how our world works with how D&D works. In our world there are no Demons, Gods or Devils, or at least no empirical proof of them. We would classify evil as a mental health issue or unhealthy pathology.

However, if you read the PHB it does lay this stuff out. As has been mentioned, evil in D&D is a metaphysical force.
-The Hells are made of Evil.
-The creatures that inhabit them are made of that substance and so are actual evil.
-Evil seeks to perpetuate itself in D&D.
-Alignment dictates how that evil is expressed.
-Fiends gain power through corruption, subjugation and suffering they inflict on others.

As for "having tea with Orcs" as funny as that is this isn't a discussion about what actions we should or shouldn't take in the actual game. Orcs, whatever the underlying narrative and history are still a threat. But really anyone in the world can be a threat - depending. There are dangerous and selfish Gnomes and halflings. As a player you can deal with them however you see fit.

Blackheifer
apprentice
apprentice
I don't mind there being other drow societies that don't worship Lolth and aren't evil. It's a good idea smile
But I oppose the removal of any "racist" behavior by in-game characters dealing with an drow. Distrust, fear, or even open hatred from humans and other surface dwellers... it's part of playing an drow for me. Even if good drow societies are introduced, for most of DnD history the most famous were Lolth worshipers, cruel and evil. To me, the books on Drizzt would not be the same if he had not faced aggression, dread, or the usual caution of humans, elves, or other races just because of his origin while living on the surface. As an drow, I want to experience it too, even if my character is not a follower of Lolth. It is important for me. And I think it would be much more interesting to start as an drow that NPCs do not trust (including maybe even your own team), but as the game progresses and helps others, the hostile attitude gradually begins to change as my hero proves his worth and good heart. This is what I want.
Personally, I also find to comparison drows to dark-skinned people and thinking that making almost all of their race be evil is a racism, is just stupid. Drows are not humans. Their skin is a different color to ours, and so is their hair, and so are their eyes. They have a different body structure and the shape of the ears. And they don't really exist. If someone cannot distinguish reality from fiction and begins to perceive dark-skinned people as evil because drows are evil, then he should go to a psychologist. But let's not allow such idiots to project to the whole concept of a fictional race of black-skinned elves.

Originally Posted by ArvGuy

If we can arbitrarily define that all demons are just evil, whatever that word means, and a bunch of deities are simply good, whatever good means, then it hardly seems appropriate to get completely bent out of shape that, say, orcs are considered evil at a racial level. Whatever evil happens to arbitrarily have been defined to mean in that context, obviously.

To clarify, I do not mind drow or greenies or other races, humanoid or non-humanoid, getting fleshed out more. But the assertion that no single intelligent race can ever be described as "evil" from the perspective of the arbitrarily defined "goodly" races strikes me as forcibly anthropologizing the entire setting. And that's too much. We are not the only creature in the world, not are we so interesting that absolutely every story ever should only involve humans in every single role, even for the non-humans. It is okay for other beings to be something other than human and one would not expect non-humans to necessarily think, feel, or behave in ways that we humans would consider "good". Whatever that may be.

Short version, by all means do nuance the drow more, but please don't let it get to the point where butchering orcs is "evil" and only asking them over for a nice cup of tea and biscuits is "good". If I wanted that much social realism, I wouldn't be playing a fantasy RPG.
I just want to say that you are absolutely right. Among the followers of Lolth it is evil to show mercy or sympathy, and to raid another noble house and murder the whole family is good. Good and evil are subjective.

Last edited by Magicalus; 03/08/21 10:08 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
There's been a lot of discussion about a lot of themes in this thread already, some of which I agree with, and some of which I don't. If the Drow were always evil, all the time, Eilistraee and her follower would literally not exist, and she's been around since 2e. If the Orcs were always evil, all the time, we would not have the many-arrows nation, which WoTc have been building towards since 3.5e.

But I'd just like to say that so far, i actually think Larian has done a halfway decent job at depicting some of the traditionally more evil races. Most of their antagonistic characters are people, they are not in a great place, socially, they are basically enslaved to the cult of the absolute, but they are actually just a bunch of people of varying evil-ness and motivations, instead of cartoonish cardboard cutouts that are designed to be hit with an adventurer's sword. And I like that. I know not everyone likes that idea of turning what should be adventurer-fodder into actual characters, and I've seen it turn out poorly in actual tabletop groups where one player got really up in arms about killing a bunch of bandits of mixed humanoid races, that were trying to kill us at the time; and then another player who was trying to discuss the ethical implications of murdering a bunch of goblins, also while they were trying to kill us at the time (we eventually solved the goblin problem peacefully, as they weren't actually doing raiding, and had even tried to trade with a nearby town).

However, just because me the player feels like goblins are people and you probably shouldn't slaughter them en masse, doesn't mean that any character i make will feel the same way (which is, in fact, why the aforementioned discussion about the ethics of goblin murdering began).

I guess this might tie in with my preference of genres. I like rpgs and adventures, I'm less enthusiastic about hack-and-slash. Having intelligent creatures that also just so happen to be doing bad things, and how your character feels about having to kill them is more rpg. Having hoards of cardboard cutouts with no nuance, that you aren't supposed to question the existence of is H&S. And if I want H&S I'll go play Diablo (or, i won't because fuck blizzard, but you get the idea).

Last edited by Piff; 03/08/21 11:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm having a hard time grasping where to trace that fine line between deliberate parody and unintentional absurdity.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
I don't mind there being racist tropes present in the game; these things do indeed exist in the realms. Even if we set aside discussions of good and evil (which I'm not going to get into here or else I'll write an essay...), Racial stereotypes exist and permeate many spaces within the realms.

That said, many of these are based not off prejudice or a desire to put down someone else, but out of legitimate differences that genuinely exist between the races in the realms. People who turn those into racial derogatories aren't being very nice people when they do, but that's no reason, ever, to pretend that those differences don't exist or aren't legitimate and worth acknowledging in a more positive way.

The thing I take issue with in Larian's work so far, and the thing I'm concerned about seeing increasingly more of as the game moves forward, is the ingrained nature of racial negativity, in a way that causes everyone around it to act like it's normal and 'okay', and for our own character to be FORCED to go along with it as well. Sorry, but no: show it to us by all means, but don't cast it in a normalised and acceptable light, and don't force us to interact with it directly without giving us a chance to object. Right now in the game there are several places where we deal with racial slurs and discriminations being thrown about in a conversation that we're directly involved in - sometimes at us (depending on your race), but usually across us at others... however, our opportunity to call anyone out for it and tell them to mind their tongue or behave better, is precisely zero at any point (unless you're a drow, where you have the option of threatening people with violent and bloody death... which isn't really an improvement).

It's not "racism"...

Drow are perceived to be evil because of their near wholesale worship of Lloth. Their entire society is devoted to it, and very, very few even have the desire to escape, much less succeed in doing so.

This is just more grandiose virtue signaling from Wizards, who fail to understand the IP that they purchased, and are now trying to use it to cash in on today's political climate the same way large corporations do for Pride month.

It's quite disgusting really.

Last edited by Grudgebearer; 04/08/21 01:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
A representation of social tension is not an endorsement of it.

P.S. Had a longer post almost ready to go, but I decided it wasn't worth to get swamped in this type of discussion, really.
I'll just stress that I strongly disagree with the OP on the general principle, before even discussing on a case-by-case basis what counts as racism and what not, what mirrors our reality and what not, etc.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by TheHero
In the last couple of years the news media and social media channels has been strongly acting agains tropes, work conditions, harrassments, gender discriminations on working place etc etc.

What happeneds then is that most people are going passionate about it. The social media channels going hot and debates are all over the place.
Nobody wants people to get hurt by such horrible conditions, behavior etc you name it.
For a Game in such times it can be devastating at release when people changed but the games content didnt reflect the change humanity to the better.
A game wont sell itself good an often enough to honor the work beeing put into it.
So with no further writing, i do link this article and you read yourself:

D&D’s Drizzt books were built...tore wants to change that. - Polygon.com

In my best hope, i suggest that all text in BG3 will be changed to reflect our humankinds best behavior.
Even when we are talking about games and play games, i am sure we can avoid having such discussions which end in a way that BG3 will be missunderstood and gets the worst rankings as a game,
because of said problems we face in reality and are currently all over the place in the newsmedia.
Recall the latest media fuzz babout UBIsoft, CDPR and now Activision Blizzards problems.
Then of course this article about Drizzt and Drow...

I would be very disspointed if BG3 wont be a success because the Dialogs, Cutscenes and Text have not been rechecked again.
Just to avoid a backlash on tropes and games again and the gaming community suffers again and Larian wont have success with BG3

We can do better ...
All wars are started with words.
So change words for peace and success of BG3.

Leave, people like you are what is what with fiction these days. Leave our gaming, movies, and comics industires. You aren't welcomed. We tried to be a tolerant bunch and let anybody in that was interested but people like you started showing up and demanding what can and can't be in fiction. The evil races of fiction have nothing to do with your current day real world politics. Get out. Not even asking nicely. We should have been gatekeepers from the beginning and not let you in.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I honestly can't tell if the OP is a troll. Unironically posting a Polygon article about how the Drizzt books are racist, even though Drizzt himself is literally proof that Drow aren't necessarily bad, makes me think they are.

In the off-chance this isn't a troll, why is it racist if a society that largely worships a demon spider god is generally not good-aligned?

Yeah, I'm not completely positive of the OP either, I only engaged when other people responded.

In the case of Lloth, Lloth is a homicidal manipulator and people following her are no better, but again, there's a difference between depicting X society as horrible vs depicting X species as horrible. Like no one is going to take Thay as proof all humans are evil because there's plenty of non-horrible humans. But drow, orcs, and goblins have a problem that they have very little diversity of culture depicted.

Personally, I find default Lloth sort of boring, she plays sims with her worshippers and likes just getting them killed for her amusement. I am much more interested in Vhaerun and Eilistraee whose followings are still simple fantasy semblances of real cultures, but are significantly more nuanced than Lloth's following.

The current plan I've seen with drow is to portray a few other side cultures that are not Lloth-oriented.

I'd similarly like to see a thing like that for Goblins and Orcs... displaying some settlements of Goblins that aren't part of Maglubiyet's dominance or aren't buying into Gruumsh and co's crusade.

Again, there's a difference between portraying the existence of racism in a fictional setting and in building a setting toward racist philosophies.
How about we have demons and devils who aren't evil too? Why can't we have a society of demons who don't live in the abyss and don't want to take anyone's souls? Must they be forever defined by Orcus? Having demons only be evil is so lazy and boring!

And if that's what you want in the games you run at your table there is nothing stoping you. Stop trying to force you're beliefs and head canon on others.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard