Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I feel like smiting only on crits is emergent optimal gameplay: not metagaming, but definitely powergaming. I imagine the 5e creators wanted people to be able to choose when to smite so that players didn't, for example, waste a smite on a low-hp enemy that the normal attack would already kill. It just so happens that the wording + limited spell slots + crit mechanics encourages smiting only on crits.

Or more realistically, at least in the games I've played, paladins still do smite on some normal attacks. It's just that they ALWAYS smite on crits, and those events are so much more memorable because of the high damage that it gives the impression of smiting only on crits.

And as always, -1 for a hotbar "smite" icon, unless it's a toggle that allows other abilities to be used simultaneously and/or can be left on for use with opportunity attacks. Or +1 to pop-ups, but again there should be a toggle "don't ask me about smiting when toggled off" to prevent continuous pop-ups.

Personally, I use smites to weaken enemies. That said, when I’m attacking with advantage (and plan to smite anyway) I will wait for the results of the second roll just in case that one is a crit.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I feel like smiting only on crits is emergent optimal gameplay: not metagaming, but definitely powergaming. I imagine the 5e creators wanted people to be able to choose when to smite so that players didn't, for example, waste a smite on a low-hp enemy that the normal attack would already kill. It just so happens that the wording + limited spell slots + crit mechanics encourages smiting only on crits.

Or more realistically, at least in the games I've played, paladins still do smite on some normal attacks. It's just that they ALWAYS smite on crits, and those events are so much more memorable because of the high damage that it gives the impression of smiting only on crits.

And as always, -1 for a hotbar "smite" icon, unless it's a toggle that allows other abilities to be used simultaneously and/or can be left on for use with opportunity attacks. Or +1 to pop-ups, but again there should be a toggle "don't ask me about smiting when toggled off" to prevent continuous pop-ups.

I can see the argument for power gaming, but the ability is written to allow it. I do agree that not using any smites until you crit is kinda silly (unless you are really lucky with your crit chances). When I play a Paladin I do tend to hold onto at least 1 higher slot for an ace card or big crit smite.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Chukkensorc
Personally, I use smites to weaken enemies. That said, when I’m attacking with advantage (and plan to smite anyway) I will wait for the results of the second roll just in case that one is a crit.
That's just common sense.
I can see the argument for power gaming, but the ability is written to allow it. I do agree that not using any smites until you crit is kinda silly (unless you are really lucky with your crit chances). When I play a Paladin I do tend to hold onto at least 1 higher slot for an ace card or big crit smite.
Right, which is why I don't classify it as an exploit or even metagaming. You're not using your out-of-game knowledge to affect your in-game actions; as Niara said the smite ability can be understood in-game as your Paladin knowing the most opportune times to call down a smite. Of course they'd want to save a higher slot as an ace.
Originally Posted by fallenj
@mrfugi3
Ya I gotcha, interesting though that you would know if the enemy is low on hp.
If you've faced an enemy before then you should roughly know its health total. Also, if you're attacking a goblin then you know it always has low hp :P
Additionally, I usually play in games where you can make perception checks to tell roughly how wounded an enemy is, or the DM just flat out tells you when it reaches <half hp.

veteran
veteran
To be fair, Mrfuji3's description is a lot more relfective of the actual reality, generally speaking, than the idea of a paldin who only smites on crits.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I wanna see how Larian handles smites, since if I remember correctly you choose whether to smite or not once you know the attack is actually going to hit, correct? Which means that unless they do some kind of toggle thing where it always applies smites on hit or doesn't apply them at all, or go the Solasta route and ask whether you want to smite or not during the attack, we're going to have a smite icon on the already too crowded hot bar that we have to select which then gets wasted if we miss which is going to be incredibly stupid.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj
@mrfugi3
Ya I gotcha, interesting though that you would know if the enemy is low on hp.
If you've faced an enemy before then you should roughly know its health total. Also, if you're attacking a goblin then you know it always has low hp :P
Additionally, I usually play in games where you can make perception checks to tell roughly how wounded an enemy is, or the DM just flat out tells you when it reaches <half hp.

it was just a small jab, ive done it both ways for PnP d&d, doesn't really matter.

edit* semi-related, in older editions we could roll skill checks for info on creatures, don't really know if that's still a thing or not.

Last edited by fallenj; 14/08/21 05:33 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I can see the argument for power gaming, but the ability is written to allow it.
Pardon a little offtopic ...
But isnt every/any aspect of "power gaming" written to allow it? laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I can see the argument for power gaming, but the ability is written to allow it.
Pardon a little offtopic ...
But isnt every/any aspect of "power gaming" written to allow it? laugh
Technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Pupito
I wanna see how Larian handles smites, since if I remember correctly you choose whether to smite or not once you know the attack is actually going to hit, correct? Which means that unless they do some kind of toggle thing where it always applies smites on hit or doesn't apply them at all, or go the Solasta route and ask whether you want to smite or not during the attack, we're going to have a smite icon on the already too crowded hot bar that we have to select which then gets wasted if we miss which is going to be incredibly stupid.

I found a light hammer with smite. For this item it is an icon on the hot bar, it is used whether it hits or not, and uses your entire action.

I think they are going to do it like they did battle maneuvers. Click the icon and attack. The smite won’t burn the slot unless the attack hits.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I found a light hammer with smite.
Where did you find it please? I even checked wiki and didnt find anything. laugh

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapons

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard