Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#786120 09/08/21 06:19 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Is there a benefit to using the premade Wizard that wants to eat my magic items?

old hand
old hand
Its a origin character so: fully voiced, unique features custom characters will never get, personal story that would make custom characters look bland/generic. They did this in DOS2, it'll probably be the same crap.

veteran
veteran
Playing as a wizard is fun. I loved my tiefling wizard. And in my opinion, nothing beats a custom made character.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Qia Offline
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by fylimar
And in my opinion, nothing beats a custom made character.

Agreed, unless we get the option to play as Minsc... i'd definitely be tempted at that point.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stikyard
Is there a benefit to using the premade Wizard that wants to eat my magic items?
His story doesn't interest me, so I usually prefer making a Wizard.

That depends on the player. Some may like to play as him and see his story unfold, others with another origin character, etc. Is not just a question of benefit, but a choice of gameplay. I for once never used and never will use any origin character. I think a custom one is a right choice for me, they feel mine, and I feel more freedom on the choices I make.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Personaly i want to believe that there will be much more introspective comentaries for Origin characters ... so Larian can explain us clearer how they think s/he would react on certain situations ...
That, and also i hope that Origin characters will have either unaviable or, clearly marked as "not fiting the character" certain dialogue options ... wich can force us to unexpected ends. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran

Objectively no.

Its kind of a downer that this mustachioed creeper manipulator requires regular feeding but yields no additional tactical benefit.

Blackheifer
E
addict
addict
E
I'd say there's little benefit to travelling with any of the current companions.

I much prefer getting to know a custom character as they make in-game choices to playing a pre-defined character who I don't really know. As for additional content for custom characters, I'm much more concerned that it won't quite fit my character than I am about custom characters somehow being lacking.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Imryll
I much prefer getting to know a custom character as they make in-game choices to playing a pre-defined character who I don't really know. As for additional content for custom characters, I'm much more concerned that it won't quite fit my character than I am about custom characters somehow being lacking.

In multiplayer we all enjoy the fun game of "hunt and kill all the custom characters". Only with Gale we usually just knock him out and swipe his clothes.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
I will play all the origin charecters, but my head cannon charecters come first. I have about five archetypes that come from BG1.

veteran
veteran
It would have been cool if the whole "who do you dream of thing" was really like fashioning a surprise companion, more fully spec'd out.

You know basically exactly like the beginning of Total Recall (1990).

Where you enter the inputs at the beginning but some stuff is left vague or how they will come into the story left a mystery or randomized based on the inputs. Basically creating your own Origin companion. This character would take the number 2 slot in the duo, and could serve as like the romance interest or the nemesis or the betrayal plot point. That was kind of what I thought was going to happen when the screen first launched. But then it only had a couple fields, and there was no like class or any of the other tinker around stuff.

Just as a kind of halfway between an IWD style game and a BG style one. The customizable henchmen essentially, but still within a larger D&D style party structure of other Companion followers too, rather than what we usually see. Would be a significant amount of work, but a fun concept for a game that hasn't really been done up in D&D. To hybridize the npc and custom char concept basically. Sort of the inverse of a playable origin character as the protagonist I suppose lol

But then you could build your own kind of Wizard companion, and meet them along the way with some characterization and looks laid out from the prompts. I'm kinda surprised they haven't done something like that yet, since I think the tech and knowhow is probably there by now. People would probably have a lot of fun with it. If a character like that had a cost in crazy items it might be more endurable, cause they'd be more your own creation and you'd want to keep them around probably. But yeah, for now Wizard has been my most played PC I think. But I keep rerolling them and not advancing too far along before reconsidering again lol

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/08/21 02:40 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
"Who do you dream of?"

I made a green skinned Githyanki with green hair and beard. When you have that weird dream and it tries to seduce you... Imagine the Grinch who stole Christmas trying to sleep with you. I nearly died laughing!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Qia
Originally Posted by fylimar
And in my opinion, nothing beats a custom made character.

Agreed, unless we get the option to play as Minsc... i'd definitely be tempted at that point.
Oh no, I hate Minsc, I was so annoyed, when I heard, that he is forced on us again.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Its kind of a downer that this mustachioed creeper manipulator requires regular feeding but yields no additional tactical benefit.
Maybe just not "yet" ...
We also have to "unlock" our tadpole powers by specific actions ... maybe that will be simmilar for Origin characters.

After all ... Astarion also can bite others only after you find out about his ... "condition". O_o
So maybe in the future we find some artefact that helps Gale to not only contain his problem, but to channel it to some kind of attack.

Im not sure what would others get ...
It was datamined that Wyll
will certainly have the option to contact Mizora ... so maybe his power will be somehow tied to her ?
I dare to presume that Shadow could get some kind of Shar / Selune magic ...
But i have litteraly zero idea what could Lae'zel get. laugh

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

A dragon. wink

Originally Posted by Imryll

In multiplayer we all enjoy the fun game of "hunt and kill all the custom characters". Only with Gale we usually just knock him out and swipe his clothes.

I'm confused. Did you mean "hunt and kill all the origin characters?" Gale is an origin character ...

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Avallonkao
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

A dragon. wink
Nah ... i was talking about something fiting her character at curent level ...
Dragon is more like her lifetime goal. laugh

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
I don't think anything will actually happen if you don't feed Gale magic items. Also if it will you making a Wizard wouldn't really help, Gale is still gonna need food to not go bad whether he's in your party or not.

If you're focussed on power though Gale is one of the few characters whose build isn't all over the shop. Right now even if you give Gale every single item he can eat immediately he's still a much, much, much stronger option than Shadowheart is. If you want the best party you want Gale in it and your character probably wants to be either a Cleric or a second Wizard. That or just build a custom party but that's almost always the optimal route from a power perspective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard