Print Thread
#787660 18/08/21 04:03 AM
C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
I only started with BG3 after patch 5 dropped, so I've not got anything prior to compare to. I never played any prior BG titles, and got bored of DoS after 12 hours, so I can't make any comparisons in that department. I only ever heard of BG because I'm such a fan of PoE (both). So that's where I'm coming from here.

I wish there were:

* a control/alt/whatever key +click to send items to camp/wares instead of right-clicking
* a party-wide crouch interaction
* pause during non-combat without going into turn-based so one can issue orders to all the party at one go, then unpause
* when disbursing items from a crate, it would convenient if the modal closed when the last item is removed
* more clarity around concentration - I grew up on 2e and 3e, and I only know 5e from introducing my kids, and the complexity is such that my initial reaction to 5e was "holy crap, this should be a video game, not a pen and paper game!" THAC0 makes perfect sense to me, all the fiddly little 5e rules don't, so yay! make it a video game, but it's totally unclear to me through the UI when a character has concentration or not or what that means in practice

All the other stuff in other threads, movement & pathfinding, etc, that's all bug fixing, whatever. I liked a suggestion someone else made about making non-selected party members essentially ghosts until pathfinding is better. Other plot things... meh. This is strong as it is, especially for an early access act 1. I've happily dropped 10x as many hours into this as I did into the full-release DoS. The story is compelling, the acting is superb, and the mechanics aren't upsettingly troublesome, nothing unreasonable for EA status.

But those points above, those are the little naggy things that are repetitively annoying

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8
* pause during non-combat without going into turn-based so one can issue orders to all the party at one go, then unpause
What benefit should that bring? O_o
I mean ... what use do you have in mind for such feature?

* when disbursing items from a crate, it would convenient if the modal closed when the last item is removed
This dont sound pleasant to me ...
I dont like when game does automaticaly anything that i didnt asked for, and closing containers when looting would be especialy anoying for me. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
“a control/alt/whatever key +click to send items to camp/wares instead of right-clicking“

Yes. Dear god, yes. It would make inventory much less painful.

Crrl + click = send to camp
Alt + click = send to wares

And we should be able to do this before it goes into inventory…ie, in the crate screen.

Last edited by timebean; 18/08/21 11:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
What benefit should that bring? O_o
I mean ... what use do you have in mind for such feature?
/
At least a dozen different ones that whoever ever played any half decent CRPG should easily imagine.

Problem is: that’s not a feature easily compatible with this game’s mandate to be constantly “multiplayer ready”.

Of course, the pause could still be made functional for single player only, but I doubt Larian is going to bother.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
At least a dozen different ones that whoever ever played any half decent CRPG should easily imagine.
In that case it should be easy to list at least half dozen. wink

veteran
veteran
Yeah, it should be.
Maybe at some point I will even do it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
what use do you have in mind for such feature?

The primary reason is the one I gave initially - pause, issue positioning orders, then unpause and have everyone go where I've told them to. It's really, really awkward when trying to set up an encounter to have to ungroup, then one-by-one have people slink off to where I want them. I think of pause like a huddle. "Gale, over by those rocks, Asterion, up on that bluff there, Lae, after the initial volley, you just charge up the middle, I'll pick off the weakened ones... 1, 2, 3, break!" Then when everyone is in position, pause, give everyone an attack target, and unpause for simultaneous fire

veteran
veteran
good points OP, i want to mention the pause system a little more in detail.

just a quick demonstration then of why i like a proper pause system.

Open BG1 and try to move your characters to four different parts of a town map all at once while paused (this is a tactical game isn't it? i'd like to be able to give orders to my troops before they all start running about).

I just did it. This is what it involved:

BG1

1. clicked space bar
2. click first character
3. click move
4. click second character
5. click move
6. repeat for however many characters you have.
7. click space bar again
8. watch all characters do what they were told to do all at once.

Now, let's try that for BG3 in the druids grove.

1. click the first character and drag their portrait away from the others
2. click the second character and drag their portrait away from the others
3. repeat until everyone is separated
4. click space bar to enter turn based mode
5. wait for animation of turn based mode and sound
6. click character you want to move
7. click where you want them to move
8. watch while they move a certain distance
9. click second character
10. click..you get the idea
11. so you've moved all four characters a certain distance, according to how far they can move in a single turn
12. click next turn.
13. all npcs play an animation
14. go back to first character and click them to go a bit further towards their final destination.
15. repeat for all characters
16. 10 minutes later, they've eventually reached their places.

This right here is why I despise the lack of a proper pause and the awful party controls. It's painfully clear this entire system was built to facilitate multiplayer and ONLY multiplayer. sure, you can just not pause and move them much easier, but then you lose the whole tactical aspect of planning out your party's actions/movement

Why would you want to give your party orders to move to different areas of the map while paused and then have them move while unpaused? Because i like to have an overview of what my team is doing. i want to be able to say "okay, the fighter will stand there, the mage will be behind this fence out of los, the bard will be on the hill", etc and then have my team move to those positions. Having to make every little move one at a time exponentially increases the time it requires to do this and also makes it impossible to get a birds eye view of your overall team and where they will be going.

Maybe i'm just crazy

Last edited by Boblawblah; 18/08/21 05:44 PM.
C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
1. click the first character and drag their portrait away from the others.

In fairness, you can hotkey this - I use `, and I've read others do too, but it's still annoying. The idea of multiplayer-first is mindboggling to me. Maybe I'm just some asocial introvert, but I would have assumed weirdo asocial introverts are a pretty heavy demographic for these games. If I want to play a multiplayer game, I'll play Mario Kart with my kids.

A
addict
addict
A
If you want to separate / connect all characters in the party, there is a "toggle group mode" button in the options. You just need to map it, because by default it's unmapped. So this part can be done with one click.

veteran
veteran
The primary reason is the one I gave initially - pause, issue positioning orders, then unpause and have everyone go where I've told them to. It's really, really awkward when trying to set up an encounter to have to ungroup, then one-by-one have people slink off to where I want them. I think of pause like a huddle. "Gale, over by those rocks, Asterion, up on that bluff there, Lae, after the initial volley, you just charge up the middle, I'll pick off the weakened ones... 1, 2, 3, break!" Then when everyone is in position, pause, give everyone an attack target, and unpause for simultaneous fire
Yes, that is what i expected ...
You know all this you can allready do, right? So the only effect all that work would have would be estetic ... and i would even dare to say only potentialy.

veteran
veteran
Now, let's try that for BG3 in the druids grove.

4. click space bar to enter turn based mode
5. wait for animation of turn based mode and sound
6. click character you want to move
7. click where you want them to move
8. watch while they move a certain distance
9. click second character
10. click..you get the idea
11. so you've moved all four characters a certain distance, according to how far they can move in a single turn
12. click next turn.
13. all npcs play an animation
14. go back to first character and click them to go a bit further towards their final destination.
15. repeat for all characters
16. 10 minutes later, they've eventually reached their places.

Maybe i'm just crazy
Maybe you are. laugh
BTW, jut out of curiocity ... why exactly did you start turnbased mode? O_o
I mean, it certainly tripled number of points, wich is obviously your main focus, bcs you want to present us how horrible this system is ... but still, what advantage did that give you?
Or in other words ... if you "send your party to positions" in BG-1 (i didnt play it, concidering only your own post ... first part) as far as i know, that party was moving there in real time ... so why party in BG-3 is not also moving in real time? :P

Actualy its more like:
1. clicked hotkey for ungroup
2. click first character
3. click move (note that you dont need to watch them move, so there is no time loss)
4. click second character
5. click move
6. repeat for however many characters you have.
7. click space bar again (no need for this :P )
8. watch remaining characters that didnt yet do what they were told to do

As far as i know ... BG-3 seem one point shorter. smile
Unless you want to include attack ofcourse ... then you will either need to hide all your characters, wich can prolong the whole action by litteraly 4 button hits ... horrible, i know laugh (but hopefully some group-stealth hotkey will be implemented in the near future, people are asking for it quite often) ... or, in some places you can actualy position your party well enough to not engage combat with all of them at once ... and therefore get at least "first hit" with everyone. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/08/21 07:45 PM.

veteran
veteran
Please Ragnarok, go ahead and film yourself doing the "shorter" BG3 way. You love to talk about how there is obviously no better way to do anything than BG3, so show us. We're obviously playing the game very differently. smile wink smile O.o

C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
You know all this you can allready do, right?

Honestly, no, I don't. Even in turn-based, once I give a companion a "fire" order, they do it, and combat starts. I can't give every orders and have them do it simultaneously. Is there something I'm missing?

veteran
veteran
You know all this you can allready do, right?

Honestly, no, I don't. Even in turn-based, once I give a companion a "fire" order, they do it, and combat starts. I can't give every orders and have them do it simultaneously. Is there something I'm missing?
Partialy ...
As i said, hide is the key here ... they will never attack "simultaneously" that is true ... but if you hide your party, you can attack with every single character one-by-one right at the start ... (unless you get horribly unlucky with initiative roll).

> Hide whole party
> Position hole party
> Attack with first one > combat starts ...
> Attack with second one > joins the combat ...
> Attack with third one > joins the combat ...
> Attack with last one > joins the combat ...

Final effect? 4 attacks has ben made at start of the combat, just as you wanted.
(Actualy 5 attacks ... since, unless im mistaken, your character that initiated combat, gets turn unaffected by the fact that he just attacked, and can use another action.)
I admit, effects of this "tactic" varies, based on how unlucky you get with your initiative ... if your first character is actualy first in turn, its super effective ... if its last, well not so much. laugh
But this is just the thing with turn based combat, with initiative ... in other words, this works as intented. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/08/21 08:27 PM.

veteran
veteran
Maybe you are. laugh
BTW, jut out of curiocity ...

concidering

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong between you and the letter S?

P.S. That description of why the current system is clumsy is basically the same thing I wrote months ago about why the "toilet chain system" is utter shit:

Things that with an "RTS-like" control scheme would literally take a couple of clicks here takes an inane amount of unnecessary intermediate steps.

Lets' take a scenario as an example:

PLAYER 1 is at the gates of a hostile camp and decides he wants to set up an ambush. As a starting maneuver he decides to put his party in stealth, move each one of his party members in a specific corner of the area, then he opens the dances, wipes the enemies (let's sya the brigands) from the face of the planet and goes back to move his entire party as one.

In a traditional system: He will select the whole party, click/press the "stealth" command, then with literally just two clicks for each, he will select and move every character exactly where he wants it. When the fight will be done, a quick click and drag on the whole party or a press the "select all" shortcut and and he will go on his way.

With the Larian system: Click stealth. Oh right, only the selected character goes in stealth, so repeat the process for each one of the four men (imagine if it was a party of six, sigh). Time to tell each one where to... Wait a second, why is everyone moving every time the selected character does? Oh right, time to UNCHAIN each one of them, either by dragging the portrait or right clicking on it and selecting the equivalent function. Now he can tell each one where to go, have the exact same fight and be on his wa- Wait a second, why is everyone standing aroud like an idiot? Oh right, before that he needs to re-select each one of them individually, relink them to the party (which by the way works only if they are already in the proximity, so maybe he needs to move everyone more closely before) and then finally be able to go on his way again.

And please, don't make the similar word count fool you, what we have on the latter is not "from 30% to 50% longer", the description of these actions may be somewhat comparable in length but this second process takes almost four times the amount of work of the first one in practical terms.

Can you see why this system is garbage no matter from what angle you may look at it?

Last edited by Tuco; 18/08/21 08:41 PM.

C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
> Hide whole party
> Position hole party
> Attack with first one > combat starts ...
> Attack with second one > joins the combat ...
> Attack with third one > joins the combat ...
> Attack with last one > joins the combat ...

Sure, you can do that, but it's not the same thing at all. It feels like an awkward workaround for not having a real pause feature. And because it's so many manual steps, with combat kicking off right away, fat-fingering a key or hitting space bar or something out of muscle memory, it can have results that can only be fixed by reloading a save. And similarly, when you're just walking around or whatever, sometimes you want to pause so you can redirect movement suddenly.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The problem with ungrouping party members and putting them in stealth is, the world isn't actually standing still, and if something randomly moves around and they fall into visual range then they'll have to pass a stealth check. Unless they're in clear light, in which case stealth always fails.

veteran
veteran

+1000

This would be so much better to plan attacks or ambush and to jump into melee with some kind of synchronisation. At the moment it's impossible to move all your characters at the same time in different directions...
Same with the traps like those in the chapel. It's so slow in turn base... real time with pause outside combats would not break the flow of our exploration way less.
Same when I want to pause for 2 seconds just to look at something... Here I have to go turn base, look at what I want, press space 4 times, wait for 6 seconds, click the turn base button again...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/08/21 09:36 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus

Link Copied to Clipboard