Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
I'm sure there are other threads that address this, so apologies for re-treading that ground, but it seems easier to just ask than trying to dig that info up.

Started a playthough with the Level Up mod. Hit level 2 on the beach, level 3 after the fight at the grove gate, and level 4 after the ogres in the blighted village. I haven't looked at the spiders yet, not investigated Kagha beyond what you find at the grove, made hardly any progress into companion quests, and not even reached the windmill yet, to say nothing of the goblin camp, the teahouse, Waukeen's Rest, the Zents, or the Tollhouse.

I reckon I will easily hit level 6, if not higher, before I need to take on the Githyanki patrol.

*frustrated hand waving* Why is this capped at 4?

(Maybe the answer is "because spells/abilities at higher levels aren't fully implemented yet", but that's not really true, they're just imperfect; they lack descriptions or are replaced with feats)

(Also, I'm *biting* *my* *tongue* about experience coming overwhelmingly from combat, because I know that's been covered frequently. It's just lame.)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8
(Maybe the answer is "because spells/abilities at higher levels aren't fully implemented yet", but that's not really true, they're just imperfect; they lack descriptions or are replaced with feats)
If you dont buy that answer i have another one for you ...
Bcs Swen said so. laugh

Really tho, that is reason we get ...
It was planned since start that there will be level cap, nobody ever told us "why" exactly.
But i would presume that reasoning would be something about finish line, where developers can stop and go to next class ... it would take much, much and once more much more time if they were suppose to implement class with all its spells and level features right now. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
*frustrated hand waving* Why is this capped at 4?
Because that’s content they provided for EA access. With level cap for full game being planned somewhere above level10, level 4 doesn’t sound that bad.

They still provided limited selection of classes and races, so it’s not inconceivable that they didn’t finish working on higher levels either. Even so, it is less a case of what Larian can cram into EA, and what they want players to have access to. Exact reasons are their own.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I fail to understand what the reason for your frustration is. this is an Early access game. If they were to implement every available spell for levels 1-6 or 1-7 they would have to spend more resources balancing them right now for us, instead of working on the story,dialogue,narration, world building and other much more important aspects of the game. Think about it: if they would have implemented the things that you want, you would probably still be here, but instead of complaining about them not implementing more levels+spells, you would be complaining about how said spells are not properly implemented. I think you are frustrated with the situation because we lack a roadmap for the game itself. but then again, Larian is not creating an MMORpg, they are creating a CRPG, therefore they are not in any way obligated to show us their roadmap. Because then you would have people that would complain for things like : " why are they working on maps right now, and not on inventory management, or game mechanics, or whatever".

Maybe you wanted to see more spells but at the same time I understand that Larian is not on their first rodeo with this game, therefore I would imagine that they know best. After all, they are the developer, and we`re just some random customers that can barely wait for their product to release.

C
colinl8 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
C
Originally Posted by Zpawn
I fail to understand what the reason for your frustration is. this is an Early access game. If they were to implement every available spell for levels 1-6 or 1-7 they would have to spend more resources balancing them right now for us, instead of working on the story,dialogue,narration, world building and other much more important aspects of the game.

That's 100%, I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant was "why not just let higher levels be available, with the understanding they'll be janky?" It would be totally reasonable to say "for EA, we're only supporting up to level 4, so please no feedback on anything above that, but higher levels are obtainable, just know they're not finished"

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Oh, well then, I guess like the people above my comment already said, it`s just a choice they made for unknown reasons. So your question is as good as mine in that case laugh

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
If the higher levels are unfinished why include them in the game? People would just complain about how a certain spell or ability isn't working properly. Why not just wait until those are ready?

veteran
veteran
"for EA, we're only supporting up to level 4, so please no feedback on anything above that, but higher levels are obtainable, just know they're not finished"
You are not for long around here are you? smile
I envy you your naivity ... and i dont mean that in any bad way ... well, maybe a little.

You expect people to read and take under concideration that something is stated ... on the other hand, even you didnt bother to search for simmilar topics, and just stated your request ... smile
Just read few topics around here ... pick randomly, you have pretty high change to sucess (this one including in fact) ...

Larian told us specificly and multiple times that Early Acess will be bugy, will be unfinished, and will contain placeholders, and stuff will be missing ...
(That you can concider equivalent of that "supporting only up to level 4" statement. smile )
And now, after you read through some topics ... ask yourself, do people around here realy take that into concideration? Or they simply ignore anything Larian said, and keep demanding? :P

And that is why it would never work. laugh

old hand
old hand
Didn't they literally say that they might consider raising the level cap later in the EA, during the last presentation they held? The option might be on the table now.

addict
addict
They could be capping levels in each act to control difficulty. But no official word really.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Didn't they literally say that they might consider raising the level cap later in the EA, during the last presentation they held? The option might be on the table now.
Well ... it depends ...
Someone was asking about level 5, and Swen litteraly said:
"The jury is still out on that wheter or not we're gonna put level 5 in Act 1 so if you keep asking hard enough maybe one day that is going to happen."

Not even single word about Early Acess ...
I believe DragonSnooz was right, with that they plan to give us level caps in each act to control difficiulty. :-/

Source (2:09:55):

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
The final release will be greater than 10 levels...so 11+

I imagine they are working out the final classes and companions before trying to finish the story...beyond story-boarding that is.

In parallel with releasing new classes, they are smoothing out game-play and fixing bugs.

When the last class drops and feedback is received, then I can see them finishing the story.

I would also wager that the areas are progressing quickly in the shadows (building the stage).

D
old hand
old hand
D
I assume in the final game you will have to pick 1 path amd stick to it. We can currently go back and explore all paths but that doesent really make much sense if you are in a race against time.

But we can currently do it so we can test everything, but I suspect they will limit it in the final release.

veteran
veteran
With all possible respect, i believe you are wrong right here ...
We are not in "race against time" its just the expression players made out of some conversation, while ignoring the other half. :-/

Sure, there is some sence of urgency ...
But i doubt it would be so strong, so we would be forced to skip half of the content ... i mean, except Halsin/Minthara decision ... and possibly Gith ... nothing provides at least clue about what to do next. :-/

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Van'tal
I imagine they are working out the final classes and companions before trying to finish the story...beyond story-boarding that is.
That's definitely not the case. Larian isn't a group of 10 people all wearing different hats. They consists of what... seven studios now? Hundereds of employees. It is a massive production with different teams working on different things. Folks responsible for developing classes, are not people writing, designing areas, quests, doing art, designing areas, cutscenes etc.

D
old hand
old hand
D
It CURRENTLY isent the case. But I think its more so we can explore the content with no time constraints then it is because thats how the final game will be.

Its made very clear that while we arent turning (yet) its because the process is beeing slowed. Slowed is not the same as same beeing stopped. We dont know how much time we have, so there defenitly is a sense of urgency in the story.

Or rather there should be. I agree that im defenitly not feeling it at the moment. They could crank up the pace abit more if you ask me but I can see how momentarily doing away with it can help us to test things as they are in the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Its made very clear that while we arent turning (yet) its because the process is beeing slowed. Slowed is not the same as same beeing stopped.
Please aim me to your source ...
Preferably video, but screenshot or quote will do. wink

D
old hand
old hand
D
Dont got a screenshot or video ready but I recall 2 sources.
1: Gale has a scene in camp where he asks you what you know about ceremorphosis. And then goes into detail about the grueling process. And how we are barely if at all progressing through the process. IIRC it triggers after you get your first step into the process or somesuch. Which is an indication that it is still happening, but very slowly.
2: The Mindflayer in the underdark offers to help you but comes to the conclusion that he cant because the tadpole is shielded or put into statis or somesuch. Hes never seen it before and cant help you because of it. But he also cant extract the tadpole without killing you.

There might have been more small sources but I cant recall them at the top of my hat.

veteran
veteran
That scene with gale i just had yesterday ...
And he only concludes that you should all be having fever and your sking should be turning grey ... yet nothing of it happenned, so logicaly your ceremorphosis is "abnormal" ... then you can ask him about what does that mean and Gale specificaly tells you that he dont know, but he FEARS that is only calm before storm ...

About Omeluum ...
By telling you that your tadpole is in stasis, he actualy confrims that your transforming proces was not "slowed down" but "paused" laugh that is the wery nature of the word stasis ...
He also tells you that he have litteraly zero experience with tadpoles like yours, but he would suspect that once the stasis would be removed ... your transformation would be instant, and therefore MUCH more painful. smile

//Edit:
The same talk you can have with Halsin ...
If i recall the sentence corectly i can paraphrase him: "The good news is, you have time ... the bad, i dont know how much."

It seems to me that game does both ...
ON one hand encourage plaeyer to rush ... and with same breath calms him to search for alternatives ...
Personaly i want to believe that this is perfect way to create just the confusion our characters would feel in such situation ... or in other words im trying to say that there is no explicit statements about your condition, since nobody (litteraly nobody) in whole EA really knows what exactly is happening to you. laugh
Some suspects ... some have theories ... but nobody "knows" (well, maybe except the Hag, but she is not telling). wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 04/09/21 08:32 AM.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Ah those must have been it. I havent played since right before the druid patch came live so its been a while grin

The consensus seems to be that its momentarily stopped. They dont know how or why. And it offers us some time, but they dont know how much time. The tadpole is still inside our head so when the thing stops working that is keeping it in check we are royally screwed.

Hence why I say that we are infact somewhat in a hurry. We might have week or we might have a month, currently we dont know. Not really the circumstances under which id decide to delay seeking aid and decide to spelunk a few days to grind some xp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard