Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
For me i genuinely dont like him. For me he just doesn't tick any boxes at all. Littereally none.

To clarify i really like lazael, Shadowheart and Gale. I think larian has done an awesome job with all three of these. But not Astarion.

What i dont like about Astarion is that he is just way to much of a pansy. The way he speaks, his body language, his personality are all just so of putting its not funny.

Is anyone else seeing this? I personally would like larian to remove him.

thoughts people?

journeyman
journeyman
I think his personality fits the the backstory they wrote for him quite well.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Don Bartenstein
I think his personality fits the the backstory they wrote for him quite well.

Tell us why? There are literally hundreds of Reddit threads saying otherwise. I agree with these threads.

Last edited by teclis23; 28/08/21 11:56 AM.
No, not only him. But definitely no. Fun fact is that I started liking him in my first game, then as the game progressed I was so bored every time I talked with him. So over the top all the time. It's even worst than Talking with Lae'zel and I already avoided talking to her unless it was really necessary. And After watching a video of the mod that unlocks Astarion as origin character it's even weirder seeing his interaction as PC.

Honestly, the only character I can endure, and learned to like after a while is Shadowheart. Absolutely none of the other companions are of any interest to me anymore. I don't even recruit them to avoid having them around.

veteran
veteran
I don’t like him, no. He died on my first playthrough. But on top of my dislike to him, there is no benefit to keeping him.

Unless I play a psychopath with a dead wish, I don’t know why would I tolerate Astarion. He is hostile toward me, and clearly cares only about himself, his motivation differs from mine (as a vampire he is the only one who benefits from having the tadpole) and in general is cruel and likes to see the world burn. Literally, nothing good for anyone can come from having him around. It’s a backstab, or neckbite waiting to happen.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I do ...
Astarion seem little like a Jester to me, but in the good way. smile
The fact that he overacting, being so theatrical and exaggerates ... i just like it, it feels like "they will die in few decades anyway, so why not at least have some fun meanwhile" ... wich is exactly attitude i would expect from a thousand years old Vampire. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
A
addict
addict
A
I don't like his personality, I do like how useful he is in combat as a rogue. Same with Shadowheart, since she is the only divine caster around.

To be completely honest. I think Larian is just doing again what they did on DOS2 where players will pick some of the companions based on the metagame. And not actual feeling. Like, Oh, Sebille (DOS2) tried to kill you in the first meeting and all you did was say hi. But again, if you use meta-knowledge you know she will be amazing and one of the most rewarding romances... very later. But until then she's incredibly annoying. However, you know she will be that so yeah you will endure it.

I can see the same happening here once the game is done. Because who in good mind would recruit most of these companions in the way they are presented? I think only SH and Lae would make sense since you meet under certain circumstances that can create an easier bond to at least work together.

But again, this game will be like many others. Ppl will defend the ones they like, especially if is their romance to their death giving hundred of explanations why they and you should love/understand them. This is also ice. As for me, the more I play the more I dislike having them around.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Another Teclis comment... Which is ironic, because Teclis isn't exactly a paragon of masculinity, is he? FYI, High Elves are literally a race of largely "pansies", with higher pitched voices, slender bodies like teenagers, and mostly just prancing about and preaching their own superiority to everybody else. I'm just saying, if one is into manly man stereotypes then the High Elves of WFB really isn't the place to look.

But getting back on topic, I personally find Astarion's behavior suitable of some pampered city elf with delusions of class, which is what Astarion used to be, once upon a time. Think of Tim Roth's Cunningham in Rob Roy. Grandiose body language, excessive gesturing, and very much differentiated from the plainness and bluntness of the lessers in society.

What bothers me about him is that he's a total dick with not an ounce of morality anywhere. He strikes me as a severe case of a manipulative psychopath that enjoys getting his way and hurting people and who will say and do anything to keep up the charade that he's on your side. I have a very hard time thinking of him as anything but chaotic evil and those types just aren't good company, IMO. He admits as much himself, saying that he wants to use the power of the tadpole to break the rules and do whatever he wants. How is that anything but CE, particularly when coming from a vampire that really enjoys human blood?

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Avallonkao
Because who in good mind would recruit most of these companions in the way they are presented? I think only SH and Lae would make sense since you meet under certain circumstances that can create an easier bond to at least work together.
Shadowheart tried to murder my character, so nope. Though she is at least honest enough to admit how far she is willing to go for Shar. laugh

Wyll and Gale are the only ones that didn't show any killing urges towards the main character so far. laugh

Last edited by ash elemental; 28/08/21 12:17 PM.
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Because who in good mind would recruit most of these companions in the way they are presented? I think only SH and Lae would make sense since you meet under certain circumstances that can create an easier bond to at least work together.
Shadowheart tried to murder my character, so nope. Though she is at least honest enough to admit how far she is willing to go for Shar. laugh

Wyll and Gale are the only ones that didn't show any killing urges towards the main character so far. laugh

Shadowheart tried to kill your character? o.0 that's new. She never was anything over snarky, but only that.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

She's a priestess of Shar. If she wasn't willing to murder some random jerkface who gets in the way of her divine mission of utmost importance then she would not be a priestess of Shar. If you made her attack you, you probably deserved it.

Wyll is a lying jerk with the most ridiculous pretense of not being a warlock despite dropping eldricht blasts everywhere. I don't even understand how his character is supposed to work, if we're supposed to pretend to not know that his character sheet says "WARLOCK!!!!!" and what he does in combat is the usual Hex & EB. Further, he's admitted that he wants to be a hero. He really, really wants to be a hero. So he made a tiny little deal with a devil and now he's a slave. What happens when his devil turns out to want us dead? Will he tolerate turning into a level whatever peasant with no powers or do as ordered?

And Gale is another lying jerk who is all jovial and nice and friendly, but actually he's a nuclear time bomb on legs and at any time he could wipe you out.

Our companions thus far are not exactly a nice bunch and there's plenty of argument for refining their attitudes a bit, to hammer and chisel away at their rough edges. Literally, if possible. But one can at least understand why most of them are the way they are, and their flaws do not make them entirely useless in a team. Gale is a bit of a risk, of course, and I would much rather have an Avariel cleric/mage with a soft voice and no damn time bomb ticking away, but it is what it is.

Astarion, meanwhile, is just a different kind of not very nice. I would say that I don't trust him any further than I can throw him, but given the mechanics of the game, I suppose that wouldn't be entirely accurate.

A
addict
addict
A
Shadowheart tried to kill your character? o.0 that's new. She never was anything over snarky, but only that.
I'm not sure it's possible to trigger that scene anymore, since now when you travel the artifact will teleport to your character. Shadowheart's answer if you ask her about the fact that you have it now is kind of funny, though; basically "I will have to take it back at some point" with her murder face on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
He’s ok. He’s got some funny dialogue here and there that makes me laugh. But he is a bit over the top for sure.

Shadowheart and Wyll are my least favorite, personally. Shadowheart has this emo whiny teenager vibe that irks me. But she does have some interesting dialogue and her story seems mysterious and compelling, so I feel like I should keep her around…pouty face and all. Wyll speaks in the third person and so far his backstory and opinions are both pretty lame. I prefer Asterion to him for sure.

Gale and Lazael are my favs, tho. Both have egos for miles, but I appreciate their opinions and like their backstories. Both have amazing VAs too.

But I honestly like that there are very different npcs, and that folks have ones they dislike and ones they like. Keeps it spicy. Not every dude needs to be James from ME3 (yawn) or, god forbid , Halsin (yech).

I'm not sure it's possible to trigger that scene anymore, since now when you travel the artifact will teleport to your character. Shadowheart's answer if you ask her about the fact that you have it now is kind of funny, thouhg; basically "I will have to take it back at some point" with her murder face on.

Ah, you're talking about the old ultimatum, it's been removed on Patch 5. Well, then you created a situation for that. In this case, any of the companions will have a scene for something similar, if you try it.

A
addict
addict
A
Ah, you're talking about the old ultimatum, it's been removed on Patch 5. Well, then you created a situation for that. In this case, any of the companions will have a scene for something similar, if you try it.
I am not sure what you mean by that? It was my githyanki playthrough and with githaynki you had to roll for persuasion to recruit her. My character failed so I went with this. After some time Shadowheart showed up in the camp, because the artifact told her to follow and she decided the solution to that problem was murder. Funny enough my gith made that persuasion roll, so bloodshed was avoided. laugh It just soured the character for me, because through all this Shadowheart is quite nasty to a gith, because she stole an important artifact from them and she masks that with racism, and yet you had to "persuade" her to save her.

Last edited by ash elemental; 28/08/21 12:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
And Gale is another lying jerk who is all jovial and nice and friendly, but actually he's a nuclear time bomb on legs and at any time he could wipe you out.

I've seen a lot of gale hate variously, and never understood it, not really... I don't want to imply that it all stems from petty resentment over the idea that he asks you to give up a couple of magic items due to his condition... So...

First question, I guess.... What did Gale lie to you about? The idea that he's a terrible lying nasty seems to be quite frequent... so... what is it that he lies about?

[quote=ash elemental]
I am not sure what you mean by that? It was my githyanki playthrough and with githaynki you had to roll for persuasion to recruit her. My character failed so I went with this. After some time Shadowheart showed up in the camp, because the artifact told her to follow and she decided the solution to that problem was murder. Funny enough my gith made that persuasion roll, so bloodshed was avoided. laugh It's just soured the character for me, because through all this Shadowheart is quite nasty to a gith, because she stole an important artifact from them and she masks that with racism, and yet you have to "persuade" her to save her.

Well, if you got that scene so you noticed that she was been tormented by some voices commanding her towards you and clearly driving her crazy, she even says she wasn't able to sleep for days because of that. She thought the only way to silence them was by killing you. It's not like she willingly walked on your camp to do that

Last edited by Avallonkao; 28/08/21 12:59 PM.
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by ArvGuy

I've seen a lot of gale hate variously, and never understood it, not really... I don't want to imply that it all stems from petty resentment over the idea that he asks you to give up a couple of magic items due to his condition... So...

First question, I guess.... What did Gale lie to you about? The idea that he's a terrible lying nasty seems to be quite frequent... so... what is it that he lies about?

I think he only actually lie if Tav romances him, no? about the whole bomb and his ex that he only tells after he slept with Tav. If not in romance I don't see lies, he just says that he won't tell you and demands blind trust. I say demands because he is adamant and if you refuse (which let's be honest makes sense in this case) he will go after other ways to get what he needs.

P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
Love him, not in a romantic way, but in the way that his stupid antics entertain me. We love an overdramatic bitch.

Don't get me wrong, if he were a real person that I was forced to interact with I would hate it, but he's a fake person made of pixels, and I control him. Not sure why everyone on reddit hate him, but then reddit seems to hate any character who doesn't immediately kowtow to the PC. Given the borderline antagonistic characters we have in BG3, I would be more surprised if you told me that reddit liked a companion at this point.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard