Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Banned
Banned
His usefulness in combat is really overplayed. The only who's truly irreplaceable is Lae'zel. She's the closest thing to a tank and hits like a truck, while from what little i've seen of him, Astarion may be a bit better than Wyll and SH, but i'd wager homegirl, Gale and any MC could easily overcome anything the EA throws at them regardless of who the 3rd party member is. I know i did, all three times i played through it. And with rogues not being necessary for disarming traps or picking locks it's not like he's needed outside of combat either.

old hand
old hand
With how the games actions are currently set up I think the Thief Rogue is definitely one of the most useful classes (not that I've done any research mind you). Two bonus actions per turn is great, pop a haste potion and get the two ordinactions and you suddenly can make two sneak attacks per turn if you want to (one ranged and one melee).

Sure, it's cheap and probably unintentional. But I will admit to abusing the system and having Astarion carry me through the Gith Fight in my most recent play through.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
E
stranger
stranger
E
Astarion as a rouge thief, dual wielding with wyvern poison, his bite ability and sneak attacks hits insanely hard (as well as the two bonus attacks, mentioned previously).
And besides the obvious, I love him as a character, despite the rocky introduction. Yes, he's manipulativ, he's power-hungry, he's an egoistic narcissistic douch, but I doubt that Larian would serve us a plain and stupid evil character like this, and withhold the option for an epic development. I'm a fan of Sebill who's story made sense, once she told it. It's still EA, so I'm curious to see where his path will leas us.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Innateagle
His usefulness in combat is really overplayed. The only who's truly irreplaceable is Lae'zel. She's the closest thing to a tank and hits like a truck, while from what little i've seen of him, Astarion may be a bit better than Wyll and SH, but i'd wager homegirl, Gale and any MC could easily overcome anything the EA throws at them regardless of who the 3rd party member is. I know i did, all three times i played through it. And with rogues not being necessary for disarming traps or picking locks it's not like he's needed outside of combat either.

I very much disagree because

Originally Posted by Dexai
With how the games actions are currently set up I think the Thief Rogue is definitely one of the most useful classes (not that I've done any research mind you). Two bonus actions per turn is great, pop a haste potion and get the two ordinactions and you suddenly can make two sneak attacks per turn if you want to (one ranged and one melee).

Sure, it's cheap and probably unintentional. But I will admit to abusing the system and having Astarion carry me through the Gith Fight in my most recent play through.

Yup. A couple short swords, vampire bite, poison, that second bonus action, he's my little problem-solver.

And as for why I would recruit him in the first place, while he's a jackass, it's clear he's a talented jackass, and is very personable once you've bonked him on the head. He seems like a lost puppy, and since we're in the same boat 'pole-wise, I think it's perfectly reasonable that through a combination of pity and admiration of his talent, I'd want him watching my back.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I wouldn't call astarion talented, he is pretty bad for a rogue. now, if you were to play him, maybe you could do something with him without having to listen to his ridiculous claims of being worth anything...

I found his antics endearing at first, but they do get old rather quickly. He has potential to be an interesting character, as he seems very flawed, but he seriously needs an introduction that doesn't involve him putting a blade to my character's neck. I probably wouldn't recruit him in that scenario if it weren't for it being EA. At least Zevran has the decency to attack, fail and subsequently surrender.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard