Next Thread
Print Thread
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Good Afternoon everyone!

New to the forums and I've never really tried giving my feedback on a game before, so, not entirely sure how to go about this. Bare with me!

I have put in about 125 hours during the early access of this wonderful game, and to be honest, I'm having a fantastic time! I'm enjoying every iteration of the companions, Shadowheart being my favorite. I am enjoying all the other NPCs and having everyone voiced only makes the experience that much better. I love that some interactions kind of hint at recurring characters and potential new companions, like with Karlach. I am a little disappointed that it seems like Alfira might just be a camp companion, but she's a delight so I hope to have plenty of more songs from her as the game progresses.

As far as combat goes, I don't really know what else to say that hasn't already been said. However, a big point for me is difficulty, I know the game will most likely have difficulty settings but I just find the combat to be extremely easy unless you aren't really paying attention. Not a huge fan of those extra attack options like Pin Down or whatever, typically I just ignore them, but that is mostly because I want everything to curve more towards traditional 5e Rules. Larian continues to make improvements on everything, so I am not too concerned about this.

I know the game is in early access, but I do hope they continue to expand on Act 1 a bit, perhaps giving us some more stuff to do to test more things. I know we got plenty of items, classes, hopefully, subclasses, and races coming.

Don't really have much to complain about. I am having more fun with this early access than I have most games that have come out the past few years. Just hope they keep taking their time and give us the best game they can give. Although, I wouldn't complain if they made combat more difficult.

I will say though........I hope they don't really make it a habit of changing things that don't need to be changed. For example.......really don't like the hair change to Minthara. Really hope they either change it back or perhaps a Modder can fix it for them. Guess it says a lot that my biggest complaint is a hair change to Minthara.

I am curious though. Maybe some people aren't comfortable making a new thread here, or some people haven't chimed in yet. How are you enjoying the Combat of the game? Too easy? Too hard? Are you enjoying the companions? I don't have a lot of friends that play this game so I'd be nice to have people to discuss this with!

P.S. Seriously, any modders out there.......fix Minthara's hair.

Well, for the difficult settings there'll be more once the game is finished, it's normal to keep only one for now.

It's said we will have full Act 1, what will entail on this still need to be seen.

About changes, you can expect any more as they progress, it's the most common thing they'll do, be it the personality of characters/companions, story, etc. For Minthara, there's no need to talk much about her, there's a megathread for her, and unless a modder really likes her I don't think anyone would change her back, etc.

I find the combat good, when I start blindly I was having hard and balanced encounters. But after so much time playing it's normal to find it easier.

As for Alfira, I don't think she would be well as a party companion since it's clear she's not a fighter at all, or even seems to have any magic to that. She's just a regular bard, and I'm more than happy if she joined as a traveling companion tbh. Sharing the nights with her and maybe songs, and who knows, more? One can always dream.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Yeah I'm enjoying what is available so far. The combat is pretty good, but I do hope they make some tweaks to make it more in line with regular 5e rules; I'm not really a fan of Larian leaving in so much of their combat stuff from games like DOS2 and having "house rules" that seem ridiculous (like lobbing heal potions around like healing grenades). The difficulty seems fine to me, and I'm certain they will have options to make it both less and more difficult for full release.

The companions are pretty good. I mean I strongly dislike some of them just because I don't like their personalities, but that is not a flaw with how Larian has done them. It is good that they give them plenty of flavor with their personalities. I am however worried about them making the companions too important, to the point where it feels like your own custom character is taking a backseat in the story compared to Larian's own origin characters. That would be a huge mistake if they don't remedy that situation before release, in my opinion.

Have a great day !

R
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
R
IMO, combat is highly dependent on the initiative roll, but is generally survivable without too much prep... except for the Githyanki encounter. If you don't prep for that one and get a bad initiative, 2 to 3 of your characters can easily be dead before you have a chance to act at all.

Companions... I am all for complex backstories but there is only one really likable character in the bunch (Wyll, IMO), and of course, he's demon-pacted.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Glad you are digging the game! I overall like it very much too. I love a good turn/based single player rpg. And this one is pretty to boot (tho perhaps a little too focused on cinematics).

My only real gripes are the flatness of the custom char (because of this focus on the Origin chars for multiplayer), the stillness of things like being able to throw barrels and healing potions, and the lack of key differences between the classes (tho that may be a 5e thing?).

I hope they add more companion choices and more depth to how npcs respond to u based on your background and race. I think they will in the final game.

Sorry…donna care at all about Minthara. I always just slaughter her. Lol.

Last edited by timebean; 29/08/21 12:50 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by UchihaKite
I want everything to curve more towards traditional 5e Rules.

Just thought I'd quote the most important take-away from your 125 hours of play testing. wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by timebean
My only real gripes are the flatness of the custom char (because of this focus on the Origin chars for multiplayer), the stillness of things like being able to throw barrels and healing potions, and the lack of key differences between the classes (tho that may be a 5e thing?).
More than anything "a low level D&D thing" in general (with the possible exception of the 4th edition, of which I know basically NOTHING about if not some second-hand hearsay).
There's a reason if we talked so often about how most classes start to "come online" from level 5 going up.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN

Link Copied to Clipboard