Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
OK. So, I started over again for the millionth time. This time, I decided to try to do even more different things.

This game is so freaking amazing. It's STILL different with every playthrough. This time, I'm playing as a Drow Wizard who is totally evil.

Zrathentil
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

I'm just mind-blown at how different the entire game is.

I killed 2 of the fishermen, leaving the dwarf alive. It was the first time I ever got a chance to really talk to him at all. It was always the human who I talked to each time. I'm having different conversations with different characters, I bypassed Nettie altogether and went straight to Sazza and then to Minthara. I haven't even rested once. I completely ignored the Dank Crypt and Withers, killed the owlbear, and I had a totally different cutscene this time with the Chosen, which was added for Patch 5. Everyone treats my character differently. It's freaking awesome.

Sometimes, when I have an experience like this, I think, "Forget it. Just finish the game, Larian. This game is the best already. Forget everything else that people gripe and complain about. Let's just do this."

But then, I remember how painful item management is, or I get some nasty enemy high grounding me and I can't hit them to save my soul, because THEY have high ground and I don't, or how much I'd love to have Day/Night cycle, etc. etc. etc.

Still, every now and then, I just want to let Larian know that this game is the best. Keep up the good work and finish strong!

Last edited by GM4Him; 02/09/21 12:49 AM.
S
S
Thanks for this feedback.

I am currently completing my second game and my enthusiasm is falling like without the feather spell... It could (should) be a good game but there is so much work to do (bugs, weird dialogs, fight UI, inventory UI ... )

Last edited by Starblaireau; 02/09/21 07:24 AM. Reason: Typo issue

Dans le doute, frappe ...
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
One slight problem I have with the way Larian have done things is that while it certainly does allow you to play, the use of invisible triggers to set certain flags in the background also plays havoc with the cutscenes and the dialogue options. If you have a party and you're doing things out of order then things get sort of weird.

I randomly did not walk into the grove after doing the battle but instead hiked on, cleared the village, and ended up on both the risen road and in the swamp. And when I then went back and actually entered the grove, the mercs and Ethel had gone missing.

In another playthrough, I could give Gale an artifact once, but he never had his dialogue about needing artifacts, and during the party he thanked me for giving him artifacts (notice plural), even though I'd only given him one.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hmmm... Yes. I'm suddenly experiencing the invisible triggers thing, and it is a bit frustrating. Was going along well, and suddenly I hit a brick wall. I can't get the story to progress. Gotta figure out what trigger is holding me up. 😒

Well, it WAS going well. I was really having fun doing everything so differently.

Maybe it's just EA. Hopefully.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
OK. So, I started over again for the millionth time. This time, I decided to try to do even more different things.

This game is so freaking amazing. It's STILL different with every playthrough. This time, I'm playing as a Drow Wizard who is totally evil.

Zrathentil
[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

I'm just mind-blown at how different the entire game is.

I killed 2 of the fishermen, leaving the dwarf alive. It was the first time I ever got a chance to really talk to him at all. It was always the human who I talked to each time. I'm having different conversations with different characters, I bypassed Nettie altogether and went straight to Sazza and then to Minthara. I haven't even rested once. I completely ignored the Dank Crypt and Withers, killed the owlbear, and I had a totally different cutscene this time with the Chosen, which was added for Patch 5. Everyone treats my character differently. It's freaking awesome.

Sometimes, when I have an experience like this, I think, "Forget it. Just finish the game, Larian. This game is the best already. Forget everything else that people gripe and complain about. Let's just do this."

But then, I remember how painful item management is, or I get some nasty enemy high grounding me and I can't hit them to save my soul, because THEY have high ground and I don't, or how much I'd love to have Day/Night cycle, etc. etc. etc.

Still, every now and then, I just want to let Larian know that this game is the best. Keep up the good work and finish strong!

I agree 100%! I think this game will be absolutely incredible!!! I am also hoping for many changes and fixes but ultimately I believe it will be an amazing game! =)

Originally Posted by ArvGuy
One slight problem I have with the way Larian have done things is that while it certainly does allow you to play, the use of invisible triggers to set certain flags in the background also plays havoc with the cutscenes and the dialogue options. If you have a party and you're doing things out of order then things get sort of weird.

I randomly did not walk into the grove after doing the battle but instead hiked on, cleared the village, and ended up on both the risen road and in the swamp. And when I then went back and actually entered the grove, the mercs and Ethel had gone missing.

In another playthrough, I could give Gale an artifact once, but he never had his dialogue about needing artifacts, and during the party he thanked me for giving him artifacts (notice plural), even though I'd only given him one.

That's the problem with Larian, sadly. And weirdly enough it's the amount of freedom, but not polishing it. Even DOS2 today you can do basically anything, yet this will result in some bugs, broken dialogues, etc. You can get dialogues of things you never did, or that you did but actually meant nothing to npcs later on and they act as nothing happened.

Larian games as I learned are not to be played blindly, but to get guides and use lots of meta knowledge, or you'll end up breaking your own game later just because you could do or take certain paths.

veteran
veteran
I agree that this game is amazing but I totally disagree that it's the best.

It's never going to be "the best" for me because many aspect of the game(play) are incoherent with the story and the world.

It was pretty ok in DoS because the gameplay match with the "funny" world (crocodile that teleports, surfaces everywhere...)... But according to me it does not work in BG3.

Despite the bestiary and the amount of references, I don't have the feeling that I have an immersive journey in the FR when I'm playing the game.
(According to the books I read, the films I saw, the video games I played,...).

The gameplay, the story and the world does not match well together at the moment IMO.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/09/21 12:08 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, I don't disagree that it could be better. There are SO many things they need to do to make it better. I'm just saying that I've never spent THIS much time playing a game before. The closest was KOTOR. Most games, including BG1 and 2, I do 1 playthrough at best and I'm done. This is the only game I start over again and again.

Link Copied to Clipboard