Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
apprentice
apprentice
I'd agree in so far that it falls out of sequence. In my playthrough, I never used the tadpole and thus never had any dream sequence. I honestly thought that this wasn't even included in early access. I think there is a fair point to be made that it is confusing, just by how out of the blue it hits you and gives you no hint as to how much this is going to impact you. Does it warrant intervention from Larian? Debatable. I think leaving in some degree of mystery doesn't hurt the game, and it probably makes for a cool discovery moment for new players.

With warm regards
-Thunder

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
But that doesn't mean the OP is wrong to feel like the Daisy creator is sort of an oddball thing to have tacked on. It's novel and a bit non sequitur, or at least not something the player would probably expect to have to do in normal D&D char creation. There's also no follow up there for several hours of gameplay, and what does follow is instead the big opening scene with the Nautiloid being chased by Gith Dragon riders.

Absolutely! I think it is a good idea in general to make that section slightly more clear. :]

Now imagine instead, that after the "Who do you dream of? What attracts you" part, there was a little preamble cut scene where your dream lover actually says or does something, to set the mood or tone of the opener. Doesn't have to be major, just something. That would work more forcefully and effectively than a text box or a VO snippet.

Right now "who do you dream of? what attracts you" is pretty vague. Maybe the player thinks they are creating a second party member or a sidekick, or an ideal companion, or they think its a proxy for character sexual orientation etc. When what the game seems to be asking us to do is create a physical avatar for our inner Jungian Anima/Animus.

Which is a cool idea actually, but the player doesn't necessarily know what they're doing, and won't really find out until way way later. I can see where the gripe is coming from.

That would be really cool! I was thinking that perhaps after creating your character, one could have a voiced text box saying something in the line of: "While you were being abducted, you had a strange dream of a very beautiful person. What did they look like?" I mean, it would be kinda clumsy to "return" to character creation just as you thought you finished it, but I mean... That is already a thing with the current Daisy-character creation as well. *shrugs* laugh

Then afterwards there could be this very short cut scene where the screen starts off as black, our characters open their eyes and see Daisy approaching/standing there, and shortly after we hear their voice saying "wake up!" After that the screen goes black and we can proceed as usual. Basically just replace the mind flayer after character creation. It would also line up with the idea that the mind flayers are trying to call for assistance from their tralls at the helm. c:

Also something to let the player know explicitly that they're talking about attraction "in others" as opposed to like some aspirational self or mirror thing. Or perhaps if other sections of the Char creation process had a similar treatment, with a new window or prompt similar to the daisy one, it might fit more naturally. Even without hitting alignment on the nose they could do one where the player tells the game their characters beliefs, and maybe that's the section where they choose their Deity? Or to borrow a simple thing from Westerns like picking a Black Hat or White Hat, to the tell the game you're interested in playing a Hero or a Villain?

Deity selection really has to be included for all classes tbh. It is just so odd to find it missing in a DnD game. :< While I don't think it is necessary to include a hero/villain route already at start, as I believe that is something that should be open for the character to develop as the story goes, there REALLY should be a way to choose a deity. I mean, obviously there are A LOT of deities in DnD so they could just add a few racial options based on race, and the most common greater deities and then a "Small Deity"-tag that has a description of something like: "Faerûn has many deities to choose from, and I/you decided early on to dedicate myself/yourself to one of the lesser known ones." They could even include a blank line for the player to fill, in case the character speak of their deity later on. A RP-heavy veteran could pick a smaller deity like... Idk, "The Raven Queen" while some other person less RP oriented person could choose the name "The Flying Spaghetti Monster of Pica" or something :'] Each to their own!

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
But that doesn't mean the OP is wrong to feel like the Daisy creator is sort of an oddball thing to have tacked on. It's novel and a bit non sequitur, or at least not something the player would probably expect to have to do in normal D&D char creation. There's also no follow up there for several hours of gameplay, and what does follow is instead the big opening scene with the Nautiloid being chased by Gith Dragon riders.
I will concur that unless the feature develops a lot, it seems to me like a very clunky way of playing your hand to what could be a nice surprise. I suppose it's nice that Larian allows us to define what our PC is horny for (other then for example assigning it based on our race), but it could be done more subtily - they play their hand for too eagerly. Unless there is more to it, so that it does requre it's own character creation.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I didn't even realize this was happening. i created the same character twice because I thought I did something wrong the first time.

it's very unclear what's going on in character creation. I am assuming this is all going to be sorted out before official release. I reached that first combat too, and even though pretty familiar with RPGs and CRPGs dating back to the 80s, I didn't feel like I had any idea what was happening. It's only been one playthrough, so I'm sure next time, maybe it will start making sense. But wow... they need to do a lot to make this presentable. I was surprised because I thought by this point, simple things like that would've been more clear.

Like when I took the elevator up to the area with that newborn Intellect Devourer, it kept telling me I needed to jump to get to the brain jars that were right next to me. It seems like jumping is going to be a huge thing in this game, and I'm already kind of annoyed by the mechanic.

S
addict
addict
S
I too agree that creating a second "dream character" feels a bit tacked on and out of sequence. Consequently, moving this sequence to the moment before the first dream as suggested would be good. Better yet, incorporate the creator into the cutscene, leading with cutscene dreaming and making the creation more "dreamy" with swirling mists and blurred vision (growing sharper as dream character appearance is chosen), before resuming the initial dream sequence.

For most people of Faerun, a drow would more likely be the stuff of nightmares, so changing the default dream character to the same race as the player and opposite sex would be better. If the PC police allows such affront to dogma. This way it would feel more appropriately in sequence of events, be less confusing to some people, while also being functional and immersive.

Last edited by Seraphael; 03/10/21 08:17 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
Another issue I have with the character creation is that the tranquil nature scene feels very much out of place with the cinematic intro where you're in the nautiloid. It's kind of an immersion breaker when it could flow more naturally in the storytelling by using aspects of the illithid ship/nautiloid tank/tadpole pool.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Seraphael
I too agree that creating a second "dream character" feels a bit tacked on and out of sequence. Consequently, moving this sequence to the moment before the first dream as suggested would be good. Better yet, incorporate the creator into the cutscene, leading with cutscene dreaming and making the creation more "dreamy" with swirling mists and blurred vision (growing sharper as dream character appearance is chosen), before resuming the initial dream sequence.

For most people of Faerun, a drow would more likely be the stuff of nightmares, so changing the default dream character to the same race as the player and opposite sex would be better. If the PC police allows such affront to dogma. This way it would feel more appropriately in sequence of events, be less confusing to some people, while also being functional and immersive.

+1

And taking into account what happened after CP2077 I guess you're right about that "what would happen if it was always the opposite sex".

"Erasure. Normativism."

Which is sad, because, as Sigmund Freud (I happened to study at a university named after him) said: "sometimes a cigar is nothing but a cigar".

Also, nothing could be further from the truth, but default options should reflect the statistical majority. UX people know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Firesong; 17/10/21 07:17 PM.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Another issue I have with the character creation is that the tranquil nature scene feels very much out of place with the cinematic intro where you're in the nautiloid. It's kind of an immersion breaker when it could flow more naturally in the storytelling by using aspects of the illithid ship/nautiloid tank/tadpole pool.
I like this idea

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard