Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
About Baldur's Gate III being Divinity: Original Sin with a Baldur's Gate theme, trolls might also be saying that, but it doesn't seem incorrect.

Equipment names? Baldur's Gate.
Spells? Baldur's Gate.
Races? Baldur's Gate.
Combat system? Original Sin with Dungeons & Dragons elements.
User interface? Original Sin.
Party size? Original Sin.
Party management system? Original Sin.
Lack of a weather system? Original Sin.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Original Sin.
A lot of interactive objects? Original Sin.
A lot of environmental effects? Original Sin.
Story structure? Original Sin.
Party member names? Original Sin.
Party member personalities? Original Sin.

Some of the elements from the Original Sin games are definitely an improvement over the original Baldur's Gate games, but overall, Baldur's Gate III is far more like an improved Original Sin with elements from Dungeons & Dragons than an improved Baldur's Gate.


Combat system? DnD 5e with still adjusting the perks of the system.
User interface? Originally similar to their DO titles, now distinctively BG3
Party size? DnD 5e
Party management system? Greatly readjusted in the last Patch.
Lack of a weather system? Would be nice, I agree.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Dragon Age Origins also miss out on this one for the same reason. They would have to re-shoot all of the campsite cinematics. Also the game has a concealment system that would have to be recreated entirely with a day/night cycle. I am fine with the current set up. Day=adventuring, night= party banter.
A lot of interactive objects? I would say intractability is one of the great strengths of BG3, compared to for instance Solasta where everything feels stale and static.
A lot of environmental effects? Greatly readjusted in multiple Patches.
Story structure? Like the three part story structure that is universal to western storytelling?
Party member names? Bullshit...
Party member personalities? See my previous point.

Joined: Dec 2017
F
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
F
Joined: Dec 2017
BG + BG2 were cool relative to their time and age. I loved them, too, but they are not state of the art anymore.

Technology and game design have evolved since then, this also includes (of course) the things developers can do when implementing game mechanics.

I have played BG2 for a while again during the last few days - and I honestly have to say: the magic is gone. BG2 feels clunky, unpolished, unwelcoming - but this is seen from the perspective of a post D:OS2-gamer, of course.

What I'm trying to say: being stuck in the past and wanting things to stay the same forever doesn't work. I see BG3, since we have good dice rolling (weighted dice, ability to improve dice roll outcomes) which enables player agency instead of having your story dictated by RNG, as it was at the start of EA, as a culmination, or a "best of", between D&D and the advances video game science and technology have made since BG2 came out.

And no, neither Solasta nor WotR are really good comparisons, both are, in comparison with BG3 even as it is now in EA, very "unpolished", with Solasta feeling more like a "tabletop simulator" instead of an actual, deep, AAA-level computer game.

Yes, both are really good games, but they are not even in the same ballpark, production-value and game-design wise, as BG3.

And also, yes, I agree that BG3 is not unsimilar to D:OS2 - but in my most honest opinion this is a good thing. D:OS2 is still one of the best video game RPGs that were ever produced. Modern and still a somewhat "old school" RPG.

Honestly, D&D rules are good as a guideline and general idea, but they don't make a AAA level video game. It's just too bland when playing alone, much more spice is needed, which Larian adds by utilizing the virtues already implemented in D:OS2 and then some.

Also, coming back to D:OS2 once again: this game was groundbreaking. In my opinion D:OS2 actually reshaped the meaning of the term "CRPG", because it really brought together the best of both worlds: CRPG gameplay on one hand, the possibilities of video games in the 21st century on the other hand. It is a game that welcomes even people who are usually put off by the stoutness of what "CRPG" meant in the past, which is also a good thing. Still it's not "toned down" or "dumbed down", quite the opposite. It just leaves out the artificial elitism which only serves as a "gatekeeper".

Last edited by Firesong; 09/10/21 10:05 AM.

Larian, please improve QoL / UX.

And give us Halsin as companion, please.
Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Firesong
BG + BG2 were cool relative to their time and age. I loved them, too, but they are not state of the art anymore.

Technology and game design have evolved since then, this also includes (of course) the things developers can do when implementing game mechanics.

I have played BG2 for a while again during the last few days - and I honestly have to say: the magic is gone. BG2 feels clunky, unpolished, unwelcoming - but this is seen from the perspective of a post D:OS2-gamer, of course.

What I'm trying to say: being stuck in the past and wanting things to stay the same forever doesn't work. I see BG3, since we have good dice rolling (weighted dice, ability to improve dice roll outcomes) which enables player agency instead of having your story dictated by RNG, as it was at the start of EA, as a culmination, or a "best of", between D&D and the advances video game science and technology have made since BG2 came out.

And no, neither Solasta nor WotR are really good comparisons, both are, in comparison with BG3 even as it is now in EA, very "unpolished", with Solasta feeling more like a "tabletop simulator" instead of an actual, deep, AAA-level computer game.

Yes, both are really good games, but they are not even in the same ballpark, production-value and game-design wise, as BG3.

And also, yes, I agree that BG3 is not unsimilar to D:OS2 - but in my most honest opinion this is a good thing. D:OS2 is still one of the best video game RPGs that were ever produced. Modern and still a somewhat "old school" RPG.

Honestly, D&D rules are good as a guideline and general idea, but they don't make a AAA level video game. It's just too bland when playing alone, much more spice is needed, which Larian adds by utilizing the virtues already implemented in D:OS2 and then some.

Also, coming back to D:OS2 once again: this game was groundbreaking. In my opinion D:OS2 actually reshaped the meaning of the term "CRPG", because it really brought together the best of both worlds: CRPG gameplay on one hand, the possibilities of video games in the 21st century on the other hand.

This whole discussion reminds me on why, as a metalhead, I'm almost "disgusted" with about 99% of the "heavy metal scene". Watching 60 year old guys in AC/DC shirts with beer spilled all over it and still insisting that "only metal is music", etc... was never fun, and it feels cult-like.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love the old saga but I don't want a remake of them. Larian was chosen for this project for a reason. Of course, they have design and stylistic patterns as a company that they will implement; and they should, cause they are great at their job.

Also, I understand that I am a minority as someone who is here as a fan of the BG saga and not originally a fan of Larian (though I have tried their games after it was announced that they will be making BG3). But there are some people, hardcore fans of the original games, who really think that their opinions should command the design of BG3, cause they are the real fans whose opinion matters the most. And that's just self-absorbed and lacks perspective.

Joined: Dec 2017
F
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
F
Joined: Dec 2017
"Great at their job"

Yes, yes they are.

That special "Larian" magic is what actually drew me to BG3 in the first place. And I'm super happy that we see a lot of it in the game, even the "exploitability", which is something I loved about D:OS2 as well.

I game to have fun, not to follow a cult and feel "pure".

Larian delivers. With great abundance. Every moment with their games I'm having a blast.


Larian, please improve QoL / UX.

And give us Halsin as companion, please.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
There is only one thing i can say to people who keep repeating that this is Original Sin 3 ...
Maybe, just maybe ... you should have listen to Swen, when he specificaly warned us about: if you are not quite sure, if this game will be for you, you should not buy it right from the start, but wait for some reviews first.
You can only blame yourself and your own inpatience. -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/10/21 10:25 AM.

Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Aug 2021
A
member
Offline
member
A
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
About Baldur's Gate III being Divinity: Original Sin with a Baldur's Gate theme, trolls might also be saying that, but it doesn't seem incorrect.

Equipment names? Baldur's Gate.
Spells? Baldur's Gate.
Races? Baldur's Gate.
Combat system? Original Sin with Dungeons & Dragons elements.
User interface? Original Sin.
Party size? Original Sin.
Party management system? Original Sin.
Lack of a weather system? Original Sin.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Original Sin.
A lot of interactive objects? Original Sin.
A lot of environmental effects? Original Sin.
Story structure? Original Sin.
Party member names? Original Sin.
Party member personalities? Original Sin.

Some of the elements from the Original Sin games are definitely an improvement over the original Baldur's Gate games, but overall, Baldur's Gate III is far more like an improved Original Sin with elements from Dungeons & Dragons than an improved Baldur's Gate.


Combat system? DnD 5e with still adjusting the perks of the system.
User interface? Originally similar to their DO titles, now distinctively BG3
Party size? DnD 5e
Party management system? Greatly readjusted in the last Patch.
Lack of a weather system? Would be nice, I agree.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Dragon Age Origins also miss out on this one for the same reason. They would have to re-shoot all of the campsite cinematics. Also the game has a concealment system that would have to be recreated entirely with a day/night cycle. I am fine with the current set up. Day=adventuring, night= party banter.
A lot of interactive objects? I would say intractability is one of the great strengths of BG3, compared to for instance Solasta where everything feels stale and static.
A lot of environmental effects? Greatly readjusted in multiple Patches.
Story structure? Like the three part story structure that is universal to western storytelling?
Party member names? Bullshit...
Party member personalities? See my previous point.


All those things in red are places where you could've just said "not inspired by or related to Baldur's Gate".

Also, 5E does not say that parties cannot have more than 4 members. It says 3-5 and it doesn't rule out more, so this whole "doing the DOS thing is actually totally forced by 5E" is obviously a very flawed argument. It's a design decision that Larian made because it fit perfectly with all the other things they'd decided. It isn't forced by 5E at all.

And I don't think there's too much "for some reason" over why Larian skips the time system. It's just easier to have time effects eliminated and not have to worry about it. You have complete control over lighting, you don't have to worry about schedules for your actors, and there's no problem having some people be in combat while others are not, even though this leads to an obvious time fracture. People outside of combat are subject to constant time whereas people in combat are in turnbased time-stands-still mode, so how do they merge the timelines after the combat ends? Answer is, they don't need to! Campsite cinematics and concealment are the least of the problems.

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
About Baldur's Gate III being Divinity: Original Sin with a Baldur's Gate theme, trolls might also be saying that, but it doesn't seem incorrect.

Equipment names? Baldur's Gate.
Spells? Baldur's Gate.
Races? Baldur's Gate.
Combat system? Original Sin with Dungeons & Dragons elements.
User interface? Original Sin.
Party size? Original Sin.
Party management system? Original Sin.
Lack of a weather system? Original Sin.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Original Sin.
A lot of interactive objects? Original Sin.
A lot of environmental effects? Original Sin.
Story structure? Original Sin.
Party member names? Original Sin.
Party member personalities? Original Sin.

Some of the elements from the Original Sin games are definitely an improvement over the original Baldur's Gate games, but overall, Baldur's Gate III is far more like an improved Original Sin with elements from Dungeons & Dragons than an improved Baldur's Gate.


Combat system? DnD 5e with still adjusting the perks of the system.
User interface? Originally similar to their DO titles, now distinctively BG3
Party size? DnD 5e
Party management system? Greatly readjusted in the last Patch.
Lack of a weather system? Would be nice, I agree.
Lack of a day/night cycle? Dragon Age Origins also miss out on this one for the same reason. They would have to re-shoot all of the campsite cinematics. Also the game has a concealment system that would have to be recreated entirely with a day/night cycle. I am fine with the current set up. Day=adventuring, night= party banter.
A lot of interactive objects? I would say intractability is one of the great strengths of BG3, compared to for instance Solasta where everything feels stale and static.
A lot of environmental effects? Greatly readjusted in multiple Patches.
Story structure? Like the three part story structure that is universal to western storytelling?
Party member names? Bullshit...
Party member personalities? See my previous point.


All those things in red are places where you could've just said "not inspired by or related to Baldur's Gate".

Also, 5E does not say that parties cannot have more than 4 members. It says 3-5 and it doesn't rule out more, so this whole "doing the DOS thing is actually totally forced by 5E" is obviously a very flawed argument. It's a design decision that Larian made because it fit perfectly with all the other things they'd decided. It isn't forced by 5E at all.

And I don't think there's too much "for some reason" over why Larian skips the time system. It's just easier to have time effects eliminated and not have to worry about it. You have complete control over lighting, you don't have to worry about schedules for your actors, and there's no problem having some people be in combat while others are not, even though this leads to an obvious time fracture. People outside of combat are subject to constant time whereas people in combat are in turnbased time-stands-still mode, so how do they merge the timelines after the combat ends? Answer is, they don't need to! Campsite cinematics and concealment are the least of the problems.

Yes, Larian is not copying a game from before the turn of the millenium, that's true. They are adapting DnD 5e into a pc game that has strong narrative ties to the BG saga.

But, honestly, your argument that everything would be solved if they abandoned their turn-based design, it is just laughable, I mean What???? DnD is a turn-based system. They cannot implement it without their turn-based design. This is a tired argument. BG3 is a turn-based game, as it is an adaptation of a turn-based ttrpg. Deal it with already.

Joined: Aug 2021
A
member
Offline
member
A
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
There is only one thing i can say to people who keep repeating that this is Original Sin 3 ...
Maybe, just maybe ... you should have listen to Swen, when he specificaly warned us about: if you are not quite sure, if this game will be for you, you should not buy it right from the start, but wait for some reviews first.
You can only blame yourself and your own inpatience. -_-
People are trying to tell Larian that their game isn't pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel to two legendary games whose name this game is borrowing, and you feel it makes sense to tell them essentially to fuck off with their perspective? To got eat a can of shit for expecting a BG franchise game to push the old BG buttons?

What's the point of that? What do you hope to achieve, aside from just annoying people?

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
There is only one thing i can say to people who keep repeating that this is Original Sin 3 ...
Maybe, just maybe ... you should have listen to Swen, when he specificaly warned us about: if you are not quite sure, if this game will be for you, you should not buy it right from the start, but wait for some reviews first.
You can only blame yourself and your own inpatience. -_-
People are trying to tell Larian that their game isn't pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel to two legendary games whose name this game is borrowing, and you feel it makes sense to tell them essentially to fuck off with their perspective? To got eat a can of shit for expecting a BG franchise game to push the old BG buttons?

What's the point of that? What do you hope to achieve, aside from just annoying people?

They don't need your consent personally to create a sequal for the BG saga. They needed WotC's and they got the green light after their pitch with them. I am a fan of the original saga and I love what Larian has been creating so far. I don't want a slavish and uninspired clone of the old games. I want a rpg that could mean as much to a modern generation of players as the original saga meant back then. I want a pc experience that mirrors the joy of playing DnD with my mates. And so far it seems Larian will deliver that...

Joined: Aug 2021
A
member
Offline
member
A
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Yes, Larian is not copying a game from before the turn of the millenium, that's true. They are adapting DnD 5e into a pc game that has strong narrative ties to the BG saga.

But, honestly, your argument that everything would be solved if they abandoned their turn-based design, it is just laughable, I mean What???? DnD is a turn-based system. They cannot implement it without their turn-based design. This is a tired argument. BG3 is a turn-based game, as it is an adaptation of a turn-based ttrpg. Deal it with already.
Nobody says they should copy. But they're good at what they do so "being influenced by" is certainly possible.

What they are doing, however, is making a DOS-D&D hybrid game that so far doesn't seem to have all that obvious connections with or influences from the BG saga at all, except the narrative will seemingly tie in with Bhaal's situation without having too much to do with anything the Bhaalspawn did. Even though the interesting bit, as far as the BG saga is concerned, is actually the Bhaalspawn rather than Bhaal himself.

Lastly, where did you come up with what "my argument" is? And did you wash your hands afterwards, because unless you have some speech-to-text thing going, not washing your hands after something like that is really bad. You know what they say about keyboards, they're dirtier than your average restroom. Take one apart one day, you'll believe it too.

But you're right that the turn-based design is forcing a lot of other things that in turn cause a lot of differences and probably isn't helping the game that much. FYI, the old 2E rules were turnbased too, but Bioware managed to come up with an alternative that worked better for what they were trying to do. I'm not as good at game design as Larian so I don't know what they could or should have done, but what I do know is that spending half an hour to kill 20 or so gobbos is a bit much. That same fight in BG1 and 2? Probably a couple of minutes at low levels, less at higher levels because there's no need to pause and micro.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
People are trying to tell Larian that their game isn't pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel to two legendary games whose name this game is borrowing
Nah, people told larian 3/4 year ago, nobody seemed to care back then, and that didnt change so far ... they are just repeating it for the sake of conflict itself.
This isnt about improving the game, so they get what they want ... this is just about expressing their dissatisfaction, since they didnt get what they *expect* ... nothing more.

If people would really as you say "trying to tell Larian that their game isn't pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel" ...
They would parcipiate in topics, that are talking about what to do to "start pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel" ...

Instead of repeating "Not Baldur's Gate enough" in every single topic, that is talking about litteraly anything else. -_-
This isnt feedback, this is just flaming. :-/

Originally Posted by ArvGuy
and you feel it makes sense to tell them essentially to fuck off with their perspective?
Yes i do.
I would say it should be obvious, since i allready did.

Originally Posted by ArvGuy
To got eat a can of shit for expecting a BG franchise game to push the old BG buttons?
If parcipiating in topics, that was made to actualy talk about what to do to make this game feel more like BG ... is equivalent to eating can of shit ... then yes.
I dunno, in my country we usualy call it good manners. laugh

Few examples:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=672266#Post672266
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=652913#Post652913
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=760211#Post760211
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689874#Post689874

Originally Posted by ArvGuy
What's the point of that? What do you hope to achieve, aside from just annoying people?
I dont "hope to achieve" anything ...
My hopes for this comunity to learn few basic rules about how forums works are long gone, but if my message manage to reach at least single person, i call it sucess.


Short coment on my English. smile

Anyway ... i cast Eldritch Blast!
Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Yes, Larian is not copying a game from before the turn of the millenium, that's true. They are adapting DnD 5e into a pc game that has strong narrative ties to the BG saga.

But, honestly, your argument that everything would be solved if they abandoned their turn-based design, it is just laughable, I mean What???? DnD is a turn-based system. They cannot implement it without their turn-based design. This is a tired argument. BG3 is a turn-based game, as it is an adaptation of a turn-based ttrpg. Deal it with already.
Nobody says they should copy. But they're good at what they do so "being influenced by" is certainly possible.

What they are doing, however, is making a DOS-D&D hybrid game that so far doesn't seem to have all that obvious connections with or influences from the BG saga at all, except the narrative will seemingly tie in with Bhaal's situation without having too much to do with anything the Bhaalspawn did. Even though the interesting bit, as far as the BG saga is concerned, is actually the Bhaalspawn rather than Bhaal himself.

Lastly, where did you come up with what "my argument" is? And did you wash your hands afterwards, because unless you have some speech-to-text thing going, not washing your hands after something like that is really bad. You know what they say about keyboards, they're dirtier than your average restroom. Take one apart one day, you'll believe it too.

But you're right that the turn-based design is forcing a lot of other things that in turn cause a lot of differences and probably isn't helping the game that much. FYI, the old 2E rules were turnbased too, but Bioware managed to come up with an alternative that worked better for what they were trying to do. I'm not as good at game design as Larian so I don't know what they could or should have done, but what I do know is that spending half an hour to kill 20 or so gobbos is a bit much. That same fight in BG1 and 2? Probably a couple of minutes at low levels, less at higher levels because there's no need to pause and micro.

Just one more thing, mate, and after I will just stop engaging with you. Bioware was forced to create a real-time with pause game (against their better judgement) because their publishers wanted a diablo-clone. But there is already a topic for that troll discussion that you are baiting here, so I would advise you take it there.

Joined: Aug 2021
A
member
Offline
member
A
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
They don't need your consent personally to create a sequal for the BG saga. They needed WotC's and they got the green light after their pitch with them. I am a fan of the original saga and I love what Larian has been creating so far. I don't want a slavish and uninspired clone of the old games. I want a rpg that could mean as much to a modern generation of players as the original saga meant back then. I want a pc experience that mirrors the joy of playing DnD with my mates. And so far it seems Larian will deliver that...
They don't need my consent at all, you're right about that. But this game is in early access presumably in part because we're supposed to play it and offer feedback, and if I, or others who feel the same, offer this feedback half a year after full launch then what's the point?

You say you're a fan of the original saga, fine, then tell me what this game has in common with those games? Same world, though interpreted very differently, but that's about it, isn't it? No, wait, there's also a tangent to the same story, except much later and from a radically different angle and not really about the main dude of the original saga.

What part of this game actually gives you Baldur's Gate vibes? Not just "not quite DOS" vibes, but actual honest Baldur's Gate vibes? Because I'm just not sure that I'm getting them at all. Which doesn't make this game "bad", but it does make it "not quite BG".

Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
The earnest desire to recreate DnD within the framework of a video game. For me, that was the spirit of the BG saga and it is the spirit that is gonna make BG3 a fantastic game.

Joined: Dec 2017
F
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
F
Joined: Dec 2017
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
The earnest desire to recreate DnD within the framework of a video game. For me, that was the spirit of the BG saga and it is the spirit that is gonna make BG3 a fantastic game.

I think it actually already is.

Even in its current EA state one can easily extract 40+ hours of most excellent play time out of it - most fully released games today don't offer that.


Larian, please improve QoL / UX.

And give us Halsin as companion, please.
Joined: Jun 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2020
Originally Posted by Firesong
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
The earnest desire to recreate DnD within the framework of a video game. For me, that was the spirit of the BG saga and it is the spirit that is gonna make BG3 a fantastic game.

I think it actually already is.

Even in its current EA state one can easily extract 40+ hours of most excellent play time out of it - most fully released games today don't offer that.

I know, I am floored by this game, too. But imagine when we get to experience the full campaign :DDDDDDDDD.

Joined: Aug 2021
A
member
Offline
member
A
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
People are trying to tell Larian that their game isn't pushing the right buttons to really feel like a sequel to two legendary games whose name this game is borrowing
Nah, people told larian 3/4 year ago, nobody seemed to care back then, and that didnt change so far ... they are just repeating it for the sake of conflict itself.
This isnt about improving the game, so they get what they want ... this is just about expressing their dissatisfaction, since they didnt get what they *expect* ... nothing more.
How kind of you to try and tell me why I'm posting. Because that's totally not jackassery or anything, is it?

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Yes i do.
I would say it should be obvious, since i allready did.
That's my point, mate. All you're doing here is asking people who aren't sufficiently loyalist to eat shit, fuck off, and stop pestering Larian with their anti-DOS grief, if you'll pardont he directness. That's not really what I would consider proper behavior on a forum.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
[quote=ArvGuy]To got eat a can of shit for expecting a BG franchise game to push the old BG buttons?
If parcipiating in topics, that was made to actualy talk about what to do to make this game feel more like BG ... is equivalent to eating can of shit ... then yes.
I dunno, in my country we usualy call it good manners. laugh[quote=RagnarokCzD]
I'm just following the conversation here. I don't believe I stole the topic and I'm sure someone would tell me to stop stealing the topic if I was.

Joined: Dec 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Dec 2020
I have zero attachment to the original BG games and even I think there are things that are fundamentally off with the design of several aspects of the game.

Not everything is a measure of which gatekeepers are better, you dinguses. Maybe instead of flagellating each other for another two hours, maybe look at the criticisms from an objective standpoint. Because since people keep bringing them up, perhaps they actually exist for a reason?

I saw 15 new posts in here thinking there was actual interesting discussion, and basically got a gatekeeper war.

I couldn’t give any damn at all about a day/night cycle in particular, when this is shaping up to be a game heavily reliant on wowing people with its first impressions - but ultimately rather shallow in its current state that despite its seeming focus on replayability… The actual moment to moment gameplay coupled with frustrating UI and controls seems to be doing everything in its power to discourage that.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/10/21 12:46 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Not everything is a measure of which gatekeepers are better, you dinguses. Maybe instead of flagellating each other for another two hours, maybe look at the criticisms from an objective standpoint. Because since people keep bringing them up, perhaps they actually exist for a reason?
Problem with that is, the feedback needs to be about something for it to hold water. If all the feedback that a person has, is that its not baldurs gate because it doesent feel like baldurs gate then....uh....ok. Wtf are we supposed to do with that? What are the developers supposed to do with that? If people can narrow it down abit more or elaborate on it further about WHY it feels off to them then thats feedback thats helpfull and that can be build upon. But alot of it isent that. Alot of it is: its to much like divnity. And theyre saying that to the studio that made divinity. The engine used is called the divinity engine... (IIRC anyway) Dont know about you but I dont really think thats helpfull feedback. At all.

The few times people do elaborate further they bring in things that were never promised, dont make a title a baldurs gate title, cant really be narrowed down because people dont know themselves or have nothing to do with the game at all, etc etc. Mostly it comes to how their expectations havent been met somehow. Ive been playing the game since it came out, taking time off the game after playthroughs so I dont burn myself out but it seems these arguments just dont die down. They (generally) still cant narrow down what it is exactly that feels off to them and if anything, theyre just repeating themselves over and over. People also get defensive or offensive to others if they ask them to explain, leading to things kike you bring up. 15 replies and its people talking back and forth with not to much beeing said.

Id hope that people at least stop to read the patch notes when they come out and play the new patch but people are already writing it off before even knowing whats in it. But alot here dont seem to want to do that.

Joined: Jul 2019
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jul 2019
Originally Posted by Demoulius
The few times people do elaborate further they bring in things that were never promised, dont make a title a baldurs gate title, cant really be narrowed down because people dont know themselves or have nothing to do with the game at all, etc etc. Mostly it comes to how their expectations havent been met somehow. Ive been playing the game since it came out, taking time off the game after playthroughs so I dont burn myself out but it seems these arguments just dont die down. They (generally) still cant narrow down what it is exactly that feels off to them and if anything, theyre just repeating themselves over and over. People also get defensive or offensive to others if they ask them to explain, leading to things kike you bring up. 15 replies and its people talking back and forth with not to much beeing said.
I can narrow exactly what feels off: The gameplay.
From the first gameplay reveal where Vincke gets his ass kicked and only wins the very first encounter by dipping his bow literally into fire and exploding a barrell to kill all enemies I didn't feel like that was 5E D&D.
Surface effects, shoving, jumping and disengaging as bonus actions, high ground, walking behind enemies to get backstabs. It felt like playing DOS with d20.
What got me pissed was that they said in interviews that a pure adaptation wouldn't translate well into a video game... and then Solasta came out and proved them wrong. It plainly plays better, not different, better, like it feels like I'm playing D&D on my computer.
It is the exact same system they are trying (or should be trying to) to emulate, and 17 guys with 200k did in 2 years what BG3 with 400 didn't do in 4. How not to get frustrated?
And on a sidenote, I paid 60 bucks for BG3 and 10 for Solasta.

Last edited by Danielbda; 09/10/21 03:24 PM.
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5