Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So as todays announcment the 6th Edition will finally be released after full ten years of 5e in the Timewindow of 2024.
You can read the full article here:

https://gamerant.com/dungeons-and-dragons-dnd-6e/

1. Will this also tell us BG3 will be going Gold and released before 2024?

2. Will there be a compromise of rules of 5e & 6e in BG3?

Last edited by TheHero; 28/09/21 08:40 AM.
TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ha, you are Right!
Somehow i didnt read those two lines. Most important ones for my previous now obsolete questions.
Wow im allmost a perfectionist and completionist and cant even propperly read an article ;(
Thanky for the help.

So new Question:

1. Will the NEW VERSION (5.5E or such) also be a hint of the release timewindow of BG3?

2. Do you (anyone) want Larian Studios to get PRE-Information about newest 5.5e Rulesettings from WoC, to change ingame BG3 Rules, and when yes why?

Last edited by TheHero; 28/09/21 09:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Even if a new edition or an "advanced D&D5e" of D&D would come, I do not think that would matter much to the videogame. Many videogames use the most popular edition or the one that suits the tastes of their target public.
The Knights of the chalice series are still making 3.5 series, Owlcat is still using the Pathfinder1e series instead of PF2e, cyberpunk does not even use the TT ruleset, etc...

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
If you pay attention to what has been said by WotC, the new edition, which is slated for 2024, is going to be 5E backward compatible so it's not 6E. It's likely 5.5E and the fact that it will be backwards compatible means it will be more like what happened with AD&D 1.5E and 2.5E for 2E and nothing like what happened between 3E and 3.5E (where you needed to buy brand new PHB, DMG, etc) due to how radical the change was (3.5E probably should have been called 4E and present 4E should have been called 5E and present 5E should have actually been called 6E).

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't see how 5.5E / 6E will effect BG3 as they are ignoring whatever they want too from 5E wink

addict
addict
Maybe they can follow Larian's example, and do an early access release of 5.1.1E first, and then circulate a few patches like 5.1.1-A00347.1 and so on, until they get it all just perfectly right. A work of art is never finished, it is just abandoned.

The original D&D and AD&D books resulted from a whole lot of play-testing and fan contributions to publications like the Dragon Magazine, Strategic Review, etc. Gygax took on the huge task of editing, and the content itself came from many, many sources. Where is the 5.5E content actually coming from? Are fans submitting ideas somewhere?

old hand
old hand
I don't think this is going to have any bearing on BG3's development.

The real question is how it's going to affect the inevitable sequel.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I don't think this is going to have any bearing on BG3's development.

The real question is how it's going to affect the inevitable sequel.

I disagree

If BG3 sells well, they'll think they can do no wrong so they'll do whatever they want with BG4 and 5.5E does not matter.

If it tanks and sells poorly, they will not bother with BG4.

veteran
veteran
Sure they will ...
Its only question if we will wait for BG4 few years, or few decades ... but the name still have its own power.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
" Winninger did specify that the ruleset within the new books would be fully compatible with the currently existing Fifth Edition."
Its not a 6th edition, probably a revision like 3.5 was to 3e. 5E is extremely popular as of now, and there are still expansions coming out.
Even if it was a new edition, I doubt they'd change development, given that the game has been 4 years into it already, and progress has been very slow imo. Also, they don't want to fully implement the PnP rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

Not always. Every group I played with back in the 90s use a combo of 2e and AD&D (1e). But the unofficial "2.5" was pretty much incompatible with 1e.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 12:30 PM. Reason: deleted forum account
apprentice
apprentice
Larian is already doing its own interpretation of dnd in bg3.

Very similar base rules, but with its own flair. I doubt dnd6 will change much. The lesson should have been learned in wizards-dnd-hasbro with yuuge layoffs between 3-5->5e & practical ruinification of the novel lines. Oh and lost the legacy to their fired magazine subcontractor who started their own thing.
Me? Original drowner of big T in the original thread on how to kill it at very low levels. My scheme having been altered since in later versions of the methods but ohwell.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Merlex
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

Not always. Every group I played with back in the 90s use a combo of 2e and AD&D (1e). But the unofficial "2.5" was pretty much incompatible with 1e.

Or runequest. Staid true since 1978ish. With some weirdness 2002-2017 which i know little about. Encounters, spells etc all perfectly comprehensible. Skillnames and such having shifted a bit.

Last edited by Raze; 14/03/22 12:29 PM. Reason: deleted forum account
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Argyle
Where is the 5.5E content actually coming from? Are fans submitting ideas somewhere?

Fans have been able to submit community feedback to wizards on their website for years now.
- There are the feedback surveys on UA articles.
- There is the adepts program on DM's Guild where people can have the chance to have dialogue with actual Wiz developers.
- Wiz constantly brings in creative consultants that are prolific or high-profile content creators, you can see them get credited if you read all the acknowledgements in the books. Or just go on the official DnD youtube channel and see them all running games and talking there.
- Parts of the adventurer's league are involved in playtesting, and giving feedback.

Wiz employees do actually engage with the wider audience on social media. They see what people are making noise about and what issues come up again and again. Sometimes this leads to things that I feel are missteps in development, but then I've sworn off using twatter, and even the idea of giving my honest opinion to the people that make the game I really love can't force me to use it.

Basically Wiz is aware of things that need refining, as long as you talk to people or listen to people who are in the community it's impossible to miss certain things that have people disgruntled.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argyle
Where is the 5.5E content actually coming from? Are fans submitting ideas somewhere?
There have also been a variety of big non-UA surveys in the past ~year. For example, about a month ago there was a massive survey on 5e classes, where participants went through every PHB class&subclass and rated each of their features. It took like 40+ minutes for me to complete.

addict
addict
I went to the WOTC website, and quite frankly I quickly got lost. They have a lot of flashy pages talking about teddy bears and other stuff I do not really care about, and they do not seem to have any fan forums? I was thinking I could ask them about the fabled City of Brass, which Kuntz never finished and I would love to see done in BG III, but I did not find any venue for that kind of communication. And I agree about tw!tter and the like ... all borne of government programs (lookup>lifelog) with all that "free" data tracking they do. The One Ring indeed.

P
addict
addict
P
They don't have a fan forums anymore, they put up surveys, not super often, but usually around or after new content comes out. If you want to have forum-like communication, you might join their official discord. As traditional ubb and phb forums have been disappearing, discord has been taking on that load. People join discord servers instead of forums now.

Last edited by Piff; 02/10/21 10:38 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard