Next Thread
Print Thread
#793280 15/10/21 11:21 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Just wondering what people are planning build-wise for all the characters when the full game comes out, assuming the game only goes to level 10 like it’s been suspected.
Here’s my plan:

- PC: Dragonborn Devotion Paladin 10, Inspiring Leader

- Astarion: Assassin Rogue 10, Mobile

- Gale: Transmutation Wizard 10

- Lae’zel Champion Fighter 7/ Berserker Barbarian 3, Great Weapon Master

- Shadowheart: Trickery Cleric 10

- Wyll: Blade Warlock 8/ Fighter 2

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maximum level at level10 was the initial plan. Swen had mentioned that the highest level in the full released game is going to be higher than that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Odds are it will be level 11/12, with a slight chance of level 13. Level 11 would grant 6th level spells, whereas level 13 would add 7th level spells and a bunch of additional class abilities - both providing a substantial power boost, and requiring a huge investment of additional time and resources.

stranger
stranger
So, my initial run was as a Tiefling Entertainer Wizard, and honestly I had a lot of fun with that. In the final game they'd likely be an Illusionist or Enchanter. Wizards get a lot of spells and it makes every scroll you find a boost, however mild, to your overall versatility (especially if they don't alter Wizards getting to nab non-class spells), so it could be a fun first playthrough.

I admit, though, that's not amazingly inventive or up for multiclass shenannigans. I'll also weigh up whether I want Wizard or Bard: keying off Charisma and getting a small boost to any skill check you'd otherwise flunk, well, that's tempting for the poor "never fail a check" urge inside me.

It's tough to say how I'll develop the companions. I'd feel a little silly giving Astarion, say, Barbarian or Druid levels. Lae'zel I'll probably make a Battle Master and Astarion a Thief though -- they're just the subclasses of Fighter and Rogue I find most fun to play right now.

If they develop the nonlethal side of things a bit more, I might try for a pacifist run at some point (right now KOing the goblin leaders just makes the plot and everyone in it react as if they're dead). My gut plan: Paladin 2 / Lore Bard X. This basically squares Bard's weaknesses (squishy, usually not primed for melee attacks) by giving them armour and Divine Smite.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Hard to 100% know until we know how the classes will be implemented, and how companions are ultimately statted, and who actually makes it into the endgame, but I think my gameplan is:

Main Character - Paladin 6 or 7 / Sorcerer X (White Draconic):
Paladin will really depend on Oath implementation. I am leaning Vengeance, but I can see myself going Ancients if Larian makes their anti-spell damage aura OP (in PnP, it only applies to spell damage, but it's very commonly misinterpreted as all "magical" damage. Can see myself going full Paladin too, depending on implementation.

Shadowheart - Cleric X - want someone to see the full Divine spell list with, and Trickery has amazing domain spells in PnP so I would likely want to them fast.

Gail - Wizard X (Divination or Abjuration) - want someone to see the full Arcane spell list with. Abjuration is probably my favorite, but I'll probably be sick of it by the end of EA and want to try something new.

Wyll - Warlock 2 or 3 / Valor Bard X - will go Warlock 3 pending pact implementation

Lae'zel - TBD. Depending on final spell list vs. Maneuvers list, I might go Eldritch Knight or Battlemaster. Might be benched in the 1st playthrough though

Astarion - Rogue/Barbarian. Realistically probably benched

I feel like unless the new companions are very, very interesting, mechanically Gail and Shadowheart are locked for me since they cover the full Divine/Arcane casting classes. Of the remaining 3, Wyll has the most interesting story to me, so he's on the team until we get the other NPCs.

The more I through this list the more I want 6 people party because I want to try the new characters out lol.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EllieNixon
- PC: Dragonborn Devotion Paladin 10, Inspiring Leader

- Astarion: Assassin Rogue 10, Mobile

- Gale: Transmutation Wizard 10

- Lae’zel Champion Fighter 7/ Berserker Barbarian 3, Great Weapon Master

- Shadowheart: Trickery Cleric 10

- Wyll: Blade Warlock 8/ Fighter 2
I just wonder ...
Are you talking here about single party, or 6 playthrough? O_o

Since i hate to dissapoint you, but if you wish to create all this in single game, unpleasant surprise is awaiting you. :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 17/10/21 08:15 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Halfling bard (I was cunning in 4e, so whatever is close to that), with multi into rogue if multi is a thing.

Plan on stabbing gale when he comes out of the portal and silencing Astarion when he's sleeping.

journeyman
journeyman
I really like Barbarogues for tabletop but it doesn't seem great here since Shield Master and Cunning Action aren't as valuable. Will probably figure out some other Barbarian multiclass since I don't like taking it past level 5

Last edited by polliwagwhirl; 18/10/21 12:03 AM.
stranger
stranger
There's a lot of combos that could be cool, but are up in the air while we wait on classes or multiclassing being implemented. The inverse Barbarian 2 / Rogue X might make for a fun, tankier STR Rogue... but will be kind of shot if Reckless Attack and Sneak Attack can't be activated at the same time.

Battle Master Rogues are another example of a combo working well in tabletop, since maneuvers can be attached to any weapon attack and because they can use Riposte to trigger an extra Sneak Attack. But the BG3 interface/class-features would seem to need a rework for that to be possible here.

Last edited by Lavaeolus; 18/10/21 12:39 AM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard