Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ALexws Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
(correct me if I miss something)
Apparently either we use 40 supply points to do full rest or partial rest. any supply points lower than 40 are useless. sometimes my characters are at their full health, but I've run out of all my spell slots.
I wonder that can we use a system that chooses what we want to recover at the camp depends on how many supplies we use.
For example resting option( fully recover characters' health, fully recover characters' spell slots, gain one short rest point)
40/40: fully recover as usual
30/40: you only have one short rest point from the rest if you've used all of them
20/40: pick two resting options as you like
10/40: you can pick only one rest option.
What do you guys think?

veteran
veteran
It should definitely be different if you eat 1 food or 39 but I really don't like your choices suggestion to be honnest.

Resting is resting. It would not make sense at all to choose what to recover and to have one more (or less) short rest "point".

I think it should more be "something like" :

30-39/40: 3/4 HP + full spellslot + full feature recovery
20-29/40: 1/2 HP + 1/2 spellslot + full feature recovery
10-19/40: 1/4 HP + 1/2 spellslot + no feature recovery

Last edited by Maximuuus; 16/10/21 06:05 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure what's even the point of having a "fractional system" for partial amounts of supplies when it's trivial to pile up supplies in the THOUSANDS during the EA.
I doubt there will EVER be a point in the game where people will be struggling to find enough supplies to get a full rest at this pace.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I like this ...
But i would like even more:

30-39/40: 3/4 HP (rounded down) + 3/4 spellslot (rounded down) + full feature recovery + 1 Short rests
20-29/40: 1/2 HP (rounded down) + 1/2 spellslot (rounded down) + no feature recovery + 1 Short rests
10-19/40: 1/4 HP (rounded down) + 1/4 spellslot (rounded down) + no feature recovery + None Short rests
1-9/40: Just nothing, not even sure why this option should be there. laugh It probably would be better if you need to gather at least 10 resources to be even able to Long rest.

I mean HP was never a problem for me ... spellslots was real reason to take rest almost all the time. O_o
Therefore i had no reason to waste double resources just to get the same amount of reward (10-19 & 20-29) ... this way it seems more ballanced to me. :P

On the other hand, i still believe that if Goodberry is equal to Lembas Bread and should provide enough nutrition for whole day for a person ... 4 of them should be allways enough to make full long rest. :P

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/10/21 08:39 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm not sure what's even the point of having a "fractional system" for partial amounts of supplies when it's trivial to pile up supplies in the THOUSANDS during the EA.
I doubt there will EVER be a point in the game where people will be struggling to find enough supplies to get a full rest at this pace.

Definitely, but it's another issue in my opinion.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I like this ...
But i would like even more:

30-39/40: 3/4 HP (rounded down) + 3/4 spellslot (rounded down) + full feature recovery + 1 Short rests
20-29/40: 1/2 HP (rounded down) + 1/2 spellslot (rounded down) + no feature recovery + 1 Short rests
10-19/40: 1/4 HP (rounded down) + 1/4 spellslot (rounded down) + no feature recovery + None Short rests
1-9/40: Just nothing, not even sure why this option should be there. laugh It probably would be better if you need to gather at least 10 resources to be even able to Long rest.

I mean HP was never a problem for me ... spellslots was real reason to take rest almost all the time. O_o
Therefore i had no reason to waste double resources just to get the same amount of reward (10-19 & 20-29) ... this way it seems more ballanced to me. :P

Not sure it would be easy to restore 1/4 of 1, 2 or 3 spellslot... That's why I finally only suggest full/half but anyway.

Thinking about limiting short rest... It could finally be a very good idea. Having ton long rest more if you haven't had a good long rest could make sense.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
The Short Rest / Long Rest with supplies mechanic is complicated enough without injecting more mini-game into it. That would only be fuel to the fire for those who already hate a resting mechanic.

As pointed out, the abundance of food makes supplies a non-mechanic really. You always have a massive surplus of food from just clicking "Take All" along the way.

The resting system still has a long way to go before it's meaningful enough to actually stop spellcasters from just spamming their most powerful spells with reckless abandon in every fight. I really hope Larian can work out this system. The worst thing that could happen to BG3 would be them starting to nerf spells for balance or granting extra actions to Fighters because of free resting for Wizards. Higher level balance is already rather delicate in D&D and I don't trust Larian to barge in with DOS-like ideas to "fix" it.

Last edited by 1varangian; 16/10/21 11:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
Not sure it would be easy to restore 1/4 of 1, 2 or 3 spellslot... That's why I finally only suggest full/half but anyway.
Good point ...
Maybe i should also add minimum 1, after all those words are used quite often in PHB. smile

Also, i believe you get exactly same problem with 1 or 3 spellslots no matter if you divide them by 2 or 4. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
I dnot even get the resoource system tbh this is something that should be implemented the other way around, in normal surcomstances you could probberblyy just buy food from vendors or by huntiing or using the survivalk skill etc, it wuld be many tiimes better to put in some non resting areas to have the partyy actually think about how and when they manage their spells/abbillities when entering dangerous territory.
Or maybe needing some kind of resource system to be abble to use the fasttravel mechanics, right now it's not a a journey but more of a coollection of fights where you always start with everythign at your disposal, just like Dos2 where every abillity is just on a cooldown, from all my experience with pen&paper d&D wich is bback from the very beginning it has always been a resoucemanagement game where you actually have to thin about what you use how and when, if you just go in guns blazing at every fight there a huge chance you wont survive the next thing the GM throws at you.
Iin BG3 its just the opposite,m its even hard to actually burn all your scrolls and pots as well thats how abundant they are.

S
S
There are to many enemies and encounters so you have to rest very often (the more battles the better the game). In each fight you will take damage and you can not avid it cause your foes throwing molotws, cast spells or throw your party into the abyss. Without going into close combat! They only come near if they have the chance to throw you into the abyss. So you have to use spells cause they are ranged attacks and this is the reason why you have to rest so often. More down to earth would be fine at the beginning. Later it's ok but to make GOBLINS so strong is ridiculous they even look like green dwarfs. I also would prefer a fixed place for your camp in each region. To make a rest everywhere is ridiculous and all the guys you find for your camp are follwing you in each dungeon invisibel?

Link Copied to Clipboard