Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm curious which companions people like or find charming.
My favorite has been Gale; I find his voice actor really good. And it's funny when he bugs you to give him magical artifacts.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by polliwagwhirl
My favorite has been Gale; I find his voice actor really good. And it's funny when he bugs you to give him magical artifacts.
same to me. he's very charming. my ride or die. apparently, a new bug happens to him. His forearms disappear at some point laugh.

enthusiast
enthusiast
btw they really make him look like his actor, Tim Downie.

F
addict
addict
F
Wyll and Shadowheart.

First one because I can try other classes for myself besides my absolute favorite class, the 'lock.

Second one because she is the mother of all cuties.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
stranger
stranger
I really love all of them, but my personal favorite has to be gale too OP. He's so witty and comical. I love to see it in a wizard.

For stories past and yet untold; let's see what today and tomorrow may yet hold.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ALexws
btw they really make him look like his actor, Tim Downie.
Are you referring to the new look some dataminer spotted in the files or there has been some other confirmation?

Edit -misread your post as “They are making him look like…”.

Last edited by Tuco; 18/10/21 07:37 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
I'd have to say.. Lae'zel. From a writing point of view she's the most wholesome. Her motivation is clear and the pacing is good. She doesn't unload crazy stories on the player too early. Even though she's an alien from Astral plane she has a reason to be there, unlike.....

Astrarion. I don't buy into the whole vampire story. It just doesn't check out that tadpoles enter dead brains. Even if there was some imaginative explanation to that, he should have been introduced in an actual vampire plotline. A vampire character feels very taped on at this point. Vampires demand a good story, not just one character in an unrelated context. 0/10 for that.

Gale... liked him in the beginning because he seemed normal. Then he started being a bit annoying because of his arrogance. Then he told me a story involving a goddess that made me roll my eyes and not believe in the character anymore. He needs to be humbled at some point soon to be liked better. And tone down that ridiculous story please. These are level 1 characters. "Everyone was powerful and epic but got drained to level 1 by the tadpole" is not a good narrative device either, it's cheap and not very believable. I want to experience their true growth from aspiring to hero.

Shadowheart. Potential to be great with an intriguing storyline. But the ominous (and obvious!) name and the "oh I have such dark secrets and I can't ever tell you" attention seeking approach is the opposite of what an agent of Shar on a secret mission should be doing.

Wyll.. no idea. Never had him in the party. He seems and acts more like one of the lads than a Warlock with a hellish pact. Maybe it's the clever facade Shadowheart couldn't pull off.

All voice actors are great.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Shadowheart for me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Gale and Shadowheart

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Probably Shadowheart, Gale and Lae'zel

N
old hand
old hand
N
Shadowheart, best waifu.

A plus if you take her nemesis Lazael along. The harsh banter is real laugh

veteran
veteran
Shadowheart now that she doesn't moan all the time anymore...
Wyll is really uninterresting.
Gale's story is way too wtf.
Not a fan of the Twilight style of Astarion.
I appreciate Lae'zel way more now than on release.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/10/21 03:35 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by 1varangian
All voice actors are great.

I agree voice actors for the different companions are awesome. The voice acting in general is incredible in this game.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/21 09:56 AM.
veteran
veteran
Lae'zel ...
Githyanki are fascinating race for me, in both culturall and physical aspects ...
I admit she is smug and haughty, but honestly ... who of our companions isnt? laugh
Plus i really dont like Shadowheart, so that is big +1 for her.

The only regrets i have is Narators comentary about night spend with her ... it sounds that whole sex was just awfull, and the next day you are feeling just horrible. :-/ Wich sounds weird to me, especialy if my character is ALSO Githyanki. O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I have been warming up to Shadowheart after they added some cautious positivity to her. With her background it makes sense for her to be defensive.

Gale is always a good chat, but his background still perplexes me.

I have been really happy to discover an option to impale Astarion on the stake when he tries to feed on you. Has it always been there? Is it new? Just too bad that the cutscene is missing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
All of the companions so far are selfish broken people. But that's the point.
Shadowheart is probably my favorite. Especially now that they make her not such a b***h.
I didn't use Astarion much until about 6 months ago. But once I realized how powerful he is as a Thief, he was in the rotation.
Wyl has a tragic life. But he is a fraud. I've probably used him the least. Though I started using him more once I stopped using Gale as much.
Lae'zel depends on what I'm playing. With a Paladin or War Domain Cleric, I didn't need her. My Githyanki Great Sword wielding Abjuration Wizard didn't need her either, but my kin was at my side the whole way. And besides having her and Shadow in the same party is fun.
Gale used to be a must have in every playthrough. Even when I played as a Wizard. But now his devouring every powerful magic item gets on my nerves. My last playthrough with a Land Druid, I told him to take a hike when I met him. Though with my current Divine Soul Sorcerer, he is very useful for crowd control.

veteran
veteran
Now that I'm not on my phone... This is the new gale model I was talking about, by the way:
https://twitter.com/chubblot/status/1449819560018911235

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Hmmm, that looks more like a wizened old regent than a wizard to me xD. Gale the deposed regent of some noble house in Waterdeep and somehow being a magic devouring vampire, lol. Not sure which look look I prefer. Shouldn't they make Astarion resemble Neil Newbom more too then? or doesn't he look elven enough? or just too old

Last edited by Kimuriel; 18/10/21 11:39 AM.
Banned
Banned
I'd have to see what they did with Shadowheart. She was my favorite some patches ago, because she felt like the most complete and because her relationship with a practical MC is actually pretty neat, yet after playing a bit yesterday i gotta say i was pretty underwhelmed by what they did with the option to save her during the intro. Feels quite shallow compared to the alternative.

But anyway, if she stops being my favorite then it's Lae'zel. She's the most normal out of everyone, and the only one with some kind of bro energy.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Gale is always a good chat, but his background still perplexes me.

For me, it's beyond perplexity. I just loathe having to give him any of my artefacts. That's why I let him rot in camp in each of my playthroughs basically.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/21 03:17 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard