Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
stranger
stranger
V
"US" so far has been the best companion the rest are rather unlikeable save maybe Gale.

S
addict
addict
S
For me its really a tie between Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarion. They are so well written and the voice acting is amazing. I also find their personal quests the most interesting.

veteran
veteran
I can't stand any of them. They're all awful, though some far more than others.

Still waiting for my non-whiney, non-angst-ridden, non-hipster truly good companion.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ALexws
Reminds me that if you play as a sorcerer, you can have unique dialogue options with Shadowheart when the weird magic appears on her left hand. Those unique dialogues kinda indicate who she really was before her memory wipe.
Great! Love all the sorcerer class dialogue!

Originally Posted by Tuco
Even if they aren't.

There's a reason if, like them or not, wizards are generally considered the all-around strongest class in D&D 5th edition (and frankly even in many of the previous ones).
In BG3 wizards are good, but sorcerers are better! grin

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Caelir
My favorite is Gale, I usually play Wizards, and really enjoy talking about magic with him
I love playing a sorcerer and telling him that sorcerers are better than wizards! laugh
Even if they aren't.

There's a reason if, like them or not, wizards are generally considered the all-around strongest class in D&D 5th edition (and frankly even in many of the previous ones).
I would agree, if not for the fact that the sorceres are able to cast 2 full action spells in one turn. It's not by the book, of course, but that's how it works in the game right now.

veteran
veteran
I'd rate them in this order:

1. Laezel is the best. She's written well. Her personality is solid, and she makes sense. It's painful to see how she's treated when she comes across the other githyanki, and one thing I really appreciate about her is that if you play a githyanki as Tav, your character's creche didn't teach you any of the purification stuff that Laezel talks about. So whatever she's getting at, it's unique to her creche.

2. Wyll is next. I hate his stats, but as a written character, I like him. I like his story, and I like how complex he is as a person. He sold his soul to be a hero, and it's clear that being good is important to him, but he's okay with lying, and when pushed, he's willing to violate his own sense of right and wrong to torture another person. To me, he feels like an intrinsically good person who's unfortunately addicted to something bad, which happens to be Mizora.

3. Shadowheart. I put her at number three because I can't be 100% sure where her story is going in regards to her missing memories. Right now, she plays her role very well in the party, but if it turns out that she's legitimately an evil worshiper of Shar, well, that's not coming across. At the moment, she seems confused, but with a goodness buried deep down inside of her. She's secretive yes, but almost in an innocent, immature way. If her story ultimately backs up all of this nuance, then wonderful, she climbs the ranks into one of my favorites.

4. Astarion. I don't hate him. Overall, I like his character well enough. It's just that I don't know enough about him right now. It's also difficult to trust him. He does his job as a rogue well enough, but I want to learn more about his background.

5. Gale. The absolute worst, no contest. Not only does he eat valuable magic items, he also comes to the table with a ridiculous, outlandish story about having a love affair with Mystra. I would prefer the characters to be a little more grounded. His backstory is, in my opinion, overly try hard. I appreciate that other people feel differently about him, but for me, I just can't get into his story or take any of it seriously.

1. I enjoy Shadowheart very much for her secrecy story and her pragmatic sense

2. killing Astarion in many forms and creative ways makes me enjoying him at every early playthrough

3. really love dragging Gale with me to kill him and through his body at my enemies while Shadowheart and I having a laugh

the other I don't really have an opinion.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I like Shadowheart, particularly after this latest patch. Gale is cool as well. The others all bother me to some degree or another. I guess Laz would come in 3rd... she's the way that she is simply because her culture is so alien.

Astrion reminds me of Lestat from Interview with a vampire.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
Astrion reminds me of Lestat from Interview with a vampire.
He reminds me of Tim Curry in Rocky Horror

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I like them all except for Gale. I was laughing out loud irl when he was explaining his “backstory”. Hopefully he's just delusional and that’s not his real backstory otherwise there’s just no taking him seriously/taking him at all.

old hand
old hand
Since I'm playing as a wizard, my favorite companion is Laezel. She wears heavy armor, and deals with enemies with her two-handed sword.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Originally Posted by JandK
2. Wyll is next. I hate his stats, but as a written character, I like him. I like his story, and I like how complex he is as a person. He sold his soul to be a hero, and it's clear that being good is important to him, but he's okay with lying, and when pushed, he's willing to violate his own sense of right and wrong to torture another person. To me, he feels like an intrinsically good person who's unfortunately addicted to something bad, which happens to be Mizora.

He is more about looking "good" then actually being good. He wants people to believe that he is a good heroic Blade of the Frontier, because that strokes his ego, not because he is a genuinely nice person with lots of empathy.

apprentice
apprentice
Gale and Shadowheart. There is a lot of mystery about them and it is very interesting probably how things would turn out in the end for them.

Lae'zel is an absolute badass and she's dedicated to getting the job done. My favorite no contest.

veteran
veteran
I must say im very surprised about that how often Shadowheart is mentioned ...
How does you people not bother that she is such ... her? laugh o_O

You dont mind at all that she stick her nose to any of your business and demand of you complete loayality and honesty based on nothing ... yet she refuse to give you the same? O_o
You really dont mind at all all that talking about "yes i have a very important secret and i will never tell you" ? :-/
And worse of worst ... dont you really dont mind at all that she is now the most inconsistent follower we have? laugh Since all those updates about her, to make her more polite and appreaciative ... are in quite harsh contrast to older dialogues that remain the same, where she is all edge and refusing? :-/

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/10/21 12:49 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I must say im very surprised about that how often Shadowheart is mentioned ...
How does you people not bother that she is such ... her? laugh o_O

You dont mind at all that she stick her nose to any of your business and demand of you complete loayality and honesty based on nothing ... yet she refuse to give you the same? O_o
You really dont mind at all all that talking about "yes i have a very important secret and i will never tell you" ? :-/
And worse of worst ... dont you really dont mind at all that she is now the most inconsistent follower we have? laugh Since all those updates about her, to make her more polite and appreaciative ... are in quite harsh contrast to older dialogues that remain the same, where she is all edge and refusing? :-/

That inconsistency makes her more real, more believable to me. I don't think I know any human who is consistently single-minded like Lae'zel, or consistently proudy like Gail. Shadowheart, Asterion, and Wyll at least waver between facade and something less-facade, in a way that feels more human. And of those three, Shadowheart's inconsistencies feel the most convincing for me.

I thoroughly enjoy all the characters except Wyll. I can't stand his bragging.

He's one of those "all talk" people you just want to punch in the face.
He's no hero, he's a loser who cheated himself to success.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8
That inconsistency makes her more real, more believable to me. I don't think I know any human who is consistently single-minded like Lae'zel, or consistently proudy like Gail. Shadowheart, Asterion, and Wyll at least waver between facade and something less-facade, in a way that feels more human. And of those three, Shadowheart's inconsistencies feel the most convincing for me.
I see ... interesting. laugh
Thank you for your answer. smile

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/10/21 05:09 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Us

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard