Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Long resting requires foods -> adds additional 'managment' aspect to game -> I like it.

Why not extend it to spellcasting and ranged weapons?

Especially when I can't figure out how to shoot the fire arrow with the special perk/feat... whereas if there was a quiver slot in character, it would have been so easy.

apprentice
apprentice
Hell no, management aspects are cool, but micro-management isn't. Particularly, food being used for rests is great, because it gives purpose to an otherwise useless item-class in the game and it gives us a limit on an otherwise very powerful game mechanic.

But when you're adding spell components, you're adding another layer of obstruction to an already very scarce resource. When I'm playing, I want to focus on the adventure itself, and these sorts of things don't add any particular fun, it just obstructs the journey and makes me spend unnecessary time, not to mention the frustration that this would open yourself up to. I'm not on board for that.

As for arrows, same deal to be honest, in BG 1 and 2 they bombed your inventory, and didn't add anything other than quick travelling back to town, buying up, and going back into the dungeon. Tossing it out completely is fine to me, it means less needless stops on the journey, and that's always more fun.

With warm regards
-Thunder

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Sure, I understand your position.

However, aren't spell components and arrows part of genuine 5e rules? There should be an option to turn it on/off, .

addict
addict
I just wish they would add a visual model for quiver that is all. Don't care if it uses infinite arrows or not.
Same thing for the sword and board on the back!

veteran
veteran
I would prefer limited arrows from a mechanical point of view. The fact that you can run out of ammo would bring more depth to tactical combat. Do you save your arrows for a situation where you really need them and use melee weapons in easier fights? Is your archer build versatile and good with a melee weapon too? With unlimited arrows you can just go all in on ranged without having to consider that at all.

I wouldn't mind a system that would automatically retrieve some % of unbroken arrows after combat though, because carrying 700 arrows is a bit silly too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lastman
I just wish they would add a visual model for quiver that is all. Don't care if it uses infinite arrows or not.
Same thing for the sword and board on the back!
That and weapon sheaths in general.

“Floating weapon glued on your back” is so early 2000 (for all the wrong reasons).

Last edited by Tuco; 18/10/21 01:43 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
I'm not for spellcomponent at all but I'd really like to have to manage ammo. Very unpopular opinion though.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
I would prefer limited arrows from a mechanical point of view. The fact that you can run out of ammo would bring more depth to tactical combat. Do you save your arrows for a situation where you really need them and use melee weapons in easier fights? Is your archer build versatile and good with a melee weapon too? With unlimited arrows you can just go all in on ranged without having to consider that at all.

I wouldn't mind a system that would automatically retrieve some % of unbroken arrows after combat though, because carrying 700 arrows is a bit silly too.

So much this.
And I'll add that going in town (or grove, or Inn,...) would become meaningfull.

It was really cool in the old games. After a long and dangerous journey through dungeons and various area, you were going back to town to rest safely and to prepare your next adventures.

In BG3 you just teleport to camp to rest, then eventually teleport to a random vendor to sell some stuff. In the end it does not give the feeling to be a part of the journey but a required job that only has weight management purpose.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 18/10/21 03:55 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I have to agree that arrow management would add some depth to the game. Also a nice interface to quickly change ammo types would be nice. It would give you more incentive to loot the generic enemies to either recover your spent arrows (if they weren't damaged) or to grab the arrows off one of the archers.

R
old hand
old hand
R
No ammo. The only thing that will add to the game is unnecessary inventory management.
Food is already a meaningless mess enough.

veteran
veteran
I really want actual arrows and crossbow bolts. I can't stand the infinite ammo that comes from just having the weapon. I'd like to be able to run out of ammo at a crucial time. Right now, it breaks immersion and feels like someone flipped the 'easy' switch.

veteran
veteran
-1 to having basic ammo. Given the relatively lenient carrying capacities in BG3 + camp storage, negligible weight of arrows/bolts, and the vast amounts of wealth acquirable in EA, the inclusion of basic ammo will ~immediately converge to "buy enough arrows so you never have to worry about running out." Any slight immersion benefit is not worth the additional inventory management hassle.

And if you can't buy enough arrows because merchants don't stock enough, then this needlessly punishes ranged characters. Unless you think BG3 should also include melee weapon degredation & maintenance...

veteran
veteran
In the original games your non-magical weapons could break. I think it was a nice touch of realism when a Fighter might have to use a temporary weapon they're not specialized in. Also it made magic weapons feel even better when you finally found an indestructible weapon and didn't have to worry about them breaking anymore.

addict
addict

I agree but it's not the end of the world...i guess:)

Technically we already have limited arrows. You lose alot of damage if you use unlimited arrows. They are just low in quantity and whitout quiver or any other good place to sort or manage them.
Recurring theme in Bg 3 it seems

Sadly we can't use them with other weapon abilities - powers like menacing attack or sneak attack. Because those attacks were poorly made. Needing a fix - redesign just so we can multiclass and AOO effectively, if nothing else.

Last edited by Lastman; 18/10/21 10:33 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
In the original games your non-magical weapons could break.

That was in BG1, due to story reasons. The mine you are sent to investigate as your first mission in the game is producing bad metal, and it is explained that the weapons made from it are prone to breaking. That is very early on, and after you succeed, weapons will not break anymore.

Besides, the way to work around this was:

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
immediately converge to "buy enough arrows so you never have to worry about running out."

which is exactly what I foresee if any ammo is implemented. Nobody is going to put 30 arrows on their ranger and go adventuring. It'll be more like 30.000, which is why I'd claim, that we can leave this out entirely and it will not disturb the flow of the game, which will in turn make it feel better. I very distinctly recall how annoyed I was in the earlier Baldur's gate games, because there the arrows didn't refill the quiver automatically, and the amount of arrows that would fit in there was enfuriatingly small, so it would happen quite regularly that the character runs out of ammo and switches into melee, you notice it too late and they get torn up, petrified, level drained and what not. I can't say that this mechanic added any fun to my experience, and I don't think it will do so for BG3 either.

UNLESS Larian has plans for a really sick prison section where you have to fight your way out with the equipment you find along the way, and it is so hardcore that you have to ration the amount of arrows that you are going to spend in a fight, in THAT instance sure, there ammo has a place. Which they could code it so you only require ammo for this section, so it would still be possible with how we handle it now. Other than that, we all know we're going to stock up 30.000 arrows when we leave town, so let's just forget about it.

With warm regards
-Thunder

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
old hand
old hand
I don't really want ordinary arrows to be numbered. I don't feel the need for it -- it's not a survival themed game. But i really would like to see a quiver like function for special arrows so we can use them with ranged abilities.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
I wouldn’t really mind IF projectiles were numbered, it’s something I could adapt to pretty easily, but it’s also something I genuinely can’t say I care about to any degree.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 for limited ammo and specific slot for ammo in inventory. I think that the level of extra management it would add is less of a nuisance than the benefit of having to necessarily think about your tactics, e.g. do I rely on my wizzard being a ranged support character or do I use my spells, do I travel to camp/store to refill on ammo, potions, etc. or do I take the risk of going deeper into the dungeon with only 30 arrows or bolts left? I can see why people would hate it nowadays, but adding it as an option to the 'core' difficulty setting would be great. Also if there will ever be a crafting system, it would be awesome to have my ranger (or whatever class is allowed to do this in 5E) produce arrows or even enchant normal arrows to add poison or other effects to them. This should not even be a true crafting mechanic but perhaps more of a 'camp activity' thing with only 'special' ammo crafting necessitating resources, the idea being that wood and arrowheads are easy to come by (and thus assumed to be owned by any adventurer) but poison ingredients would be rare. So when going to camp that you could chose to either replenish your ammo (no resources needed) or craft special ammo requiring both a character with that specific skill or recipe and the required resources.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dexai
But i really would like to see a quiver like function for special arrows so we can use them with ranged abilities.
yeah that would be so much fun!!

veteran
veteran
And i would like to see our ranged characters wearing (is that corect word?) a quiver ... even if just graphicaly.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/10/21 04:22 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard