Next Thread
Print Thread
#794576 19/10/21 01:47 PM
W
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not but why does Chromatic Orb do the wrong amount of damage? It does 3d8 for thunder only. All other elements do 1d8 damage. I very much hope this is a bug and not a random change that was made for no reason. I have submitted it as a bug report and I hope others do as well.

addict
addict
if it only does 1d8 it's a bug. But as for a random change you can blame Larian for loving their surfaces as they changed the spell function for all damage types except thunder to now use one 1d8 to create a surface instead, So for example fire now hits with 2d8 at strike and then creates a patch of flames dealing damage(I guess 1d4) over two turns.

S
addict
addict
S
I wish they would just take the spells as they are originally. When I use chromatic orb against an enemy that is engaged in melee with one of my allies, I am basically forced to use the thunder version, unless I want to hit both the enemy AND my ally with the surface. This is very frustrating to me.

veteran
veteran
As above - other do 1d8 less damage because they create surfaces. crazy

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Seriously, what's up with Larian and surfaces? I'd prefer an extra 1d8 dmg. Also, there's a bug with this spell in that it doesn't show up under 2nd lvl spells in your spellbook, but you can upcast it nevertheless

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LordRhaegar
Also, there's a bug with this spell in that it doesn't show up under 2nd lvl spells in your spellbook, but you can upcast it nevertheless
As one can't assign upcasted version of spells hotbar slots anymore, as now it is done through base spell icon, upcasted spells showing up on higher levels are a relic of the past. I assume all of those will disappear at some point, as it will be come super chaotic once more levels are introduced and upcasted versions would keep piling up.

Wormerine #794671 19/10/21 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Also, there's a bug with this spell in that it doesn't show up under 2nd lvl spells in your spellbook, but you can upcast it nevertheless
As one can't assign upcasted version of spells hotbar slots anymore, as now it is done through base spell icon, upcasted spells showing up on higher levels are a relic of the past. I assume all of those will disappear at some point, as it will be come super chaotic once more levels are introduced and upcasted versions would keep piling up.

Yeah, the current UI is going to be a complete mess at higher levels.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Seriously, what's up with Larian and surfaces? I'd prefer an extra 1d8 dmg. Also, there's a bug with this spell in that it doesn't show up under 2nd lvl spells in your spellbook, but you can upcast it nevertheless

I remember vividly the beginning of EA when even cantrips created surfaces. We are a lot better off now.
Apart from that mobs still have too much "surface" arrows and vials. Every goblin that is no caster throws alchemists fire or somesuch around....

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

I remember vividly the beginning of EA when even cantrips created surfaces. We are a lot better off now.
Apart from that mobs still have too much "surface" arrows and vials. Every goblin that is no caster throws alchemists fire or somesuch around....

Wish they'd kept ray of frost dousing fire, that actually made sense and was pretty neat in gameplay terms.

addict
addict
THe funny part is due to AOE effect they added to the spell it shouldn't be possible to use Twinned Spell on it.

Don't get me wrong i like the spell as is just fine it's cool. Just something funny to think about that's all:)

Last edited by Lastman; 19/10/21 09:32 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil

Wish they'd kept ray of frost dousing fire, that actually made sense and was pretty neat in gameplay terms.

Nah, I'm quite ok with as it is now. We have "Create Water" for that as and sure, it is a leveled spell but I feel a situation that requires putting out a fire should cost a spell slot as you do something impactful. As for it making sense..well kinda. Reducing heat is one of the three ways to put out a fire, even though it's the less effective one :P

Agree on the chromatic orb. Larian: please. Stop homebrewing things that are perfectly fine. Your Ranger changes: great. Your Draconic Sorcerer changes: great. Stick your homebrews to the things that the 5e developement has agreed on to be problematic.

Regarding spells and surface effects: just give us prestidigitation and buff it a little (similar to the mod for it). I mean its perfect after patch 6. You can use it to clean yourself up now.

veteran
veteran
Presti to clean yourself would be good, but I'd also support Presti having the ability to clear a five foot area of ground, removing any active surface effect from it. It would be useful in certain circumstances, but still a dubious investment in an active combat situation, where actions matter. If it cleared surfaces, you could rename it Prestidigiantilari.

W
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
Oh god i never thought about the stupid surfaces. That is so dumb. Please Larian put this spell back the way it is supposed to be. It is NOT an AOE spell. It is a single target damage spell and that is the purpose of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard