#794623 19/10/21 04:49 PM
T
Thespen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Is SLEEP now useless or is it a bug – example:

My mage used SLEEP (had to touch the first person – range seems bugged too) and 2 NPCs went down.

A 3rd NPC went over and shoved the 1st sleeping mob to wake him and then carried out an attack action against me. Then 1st mob, who had been slept, then went and shoved the 2nd sleeping mob and then carried out an attack action against me . Then 2nd mob, who had been slept, then carried out an attack action against me as normal.

In effect SLEEP did nothing and went from being the best 1st level spell to being pointless. To wake a character should be an action, the same as helping a downed character, with all the other stuff that entails.

veteran
veteran
Another unexpected consequence of shove being a bonus action.

Thanks for sharing, one more argument in favor of shove becoming a full action like it should always have been.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 19/10/21 04:59 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Another situation in which bonus action shove introduces problems.

Help out is a full action. Characters also wake up when attacked. Shove is an attack that does no damage and according to rules should be a full action. However, thanks to Larian making it a bonus action, in that situation it achieves the same result as "help" but without cost of main action.

Last edited by Wormerine; 19/10/21 04:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
Regardless of what shove is, shouldn't waking up and getting up be an action in and of itself? Thus not allowing the person who was sleeping to be able to attack on the same round they woke up?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Thus not allowing the person who was sleeping to be able to attack on the same round they woke up?
Like after they are resurected? I don't think BG3 has "prone" as it was in Solasta.

I don't mind trading one characters full action, for another one being awake. Especially with a 4 player party, it might be too much - after all, it is unavoidable. Use of shove can trivialize it though.

veteran
veteran
I mean, if you hadn't cast sleep then all 3 enemies would have shoved you, so it did do something xD.

But yeah, +1 for requiring a full action or damage to wake up. Sleep is already less powerful than RAW due to the ~40+% increase in goblin HP and only ~10% increase in sleep's affected-HP.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Like after they are resurected?

Hmm. You know, I'm actually not sure what happens when someone is resurrected. I don't think I've ever had to resurrect one of my characters in a combat before, at least not in this game.

I imagine they would lose their turn getting back up, though, right?

T
Thespen Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Yes, you are correct - the person doing the resurrecting uses thier action and can only do bonus action; and the person being resurrecting loses their action for that round.

that includes using the aid action to help a downed comdrade too.

Last edited by Thespen; 19/10/21 08:25 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Most likely it will be like in the case of DOS2. So for the lower difficulty levels, it will be a dumber AI.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
+1 to make shove a full action.

S
S
Originally Posted by Thespen

My mage used SLEEP (had to touch the first person – range seems bugged too) and 2 NPCs went down.

A 3rd NPC went over and shoved the 1st sleeping mob to wake him and then carried out an attack action against me. Then 1st mob, who had been slept, then went and shoved the 2nd sleeping mob and then carried out an attack action against me . Then 2nd mob, who had been slept, then carried out an attack action against me as normal.

In effect SLEEP did nothing and went from being the best 1st level spell to being pointless. To wake a character should be an action, the same as helping a downed character, with all the other stuff that entails.

SLEEP seems not useless cause in each fight at least one of my companions falls asleep cause each shitty Goblin(mage?) can cast sleep.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by schpas

SLEEP seems not useless cause in each fight at least one of my companions falls asleep cause each shitty Goblin(mage?) can cast sleep.

After all, you are fighting goblin shamans, so you should probably expect them to use magic.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by schpas

After all, you are fighting goblin shamans, so you should probably expect them to use magic.

You are absolutely correct. However one crucial thing is that goblins are supposed to only have evocation and adoration spells. Goblins shouldn't really use sleep. It breaks what is established in the forgotten realms lore

Link Copied to Clipboard